Trouble with redirect

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

The Birdman

Trouble with redirect

Post by The Birdman »

Hi this is my first post here, although i have been an avid reader of nearly all the ET posts throughout the Bani forums, i have never untill now needed to ask for advice as a search of the forums has normally found the answers i was looking for.

We run a joint clan that both caters for North America players and European players, but we are only a few months old so not to many members as yet. We have 3 servers running at the moment, my friend and fellow leader of the N.American side of the clan made up three .pk3 files to put in the ETPro folder but we are having trouble with them.

I have copied the post he made in the splash damage forum to see if anyone on these forums could also lend a helping hand and tell us whats going wrong.

I did search to see if i could find some answers to our problem but found nothing concrete to help us, anyway here's his post and thanks in advance for any advice given.

Not sure where is best to post this but I'm really having a rough time here.
Sorry in advance for my n00bishness..

server running etpro 3.2.0
added 3 new pk3's to the etpro folder (1 skin (~9mb), 1 sound(~9mb), 1 watermark(~20kb))
also running http://redirect for faster map downloads

Here's where it gets strange:
Upon first time connecting to server you are redirected to the redirect and start downloading the new pk3's. Goes super fast(~400-500kbps), downloads the entire thing... then, when it should just let you in the server, it kicks over to the the server and starts RE downloading the same .pk3 again only from the server(~8kbps) instead of the redirect.

OK, that's odd enough. However here's where it gets really strange:
If you delete all the .tmp pk3's that end up in your ETPro folder, and just download them (from the redirect via web-browser) and manually put them in your ETPro folder, it works fine... sound, skin, watermark... no problem.

If you delete ALL of those working ones, then try to join the server (to attempt the redirect download again) it works fine! It will, from that point on download correctly from the redirect and allow you into the server.

I'm totally lost.
HELP!?
Again thanks if you can help.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

sorry didn't see your reply in et.com forums
you need the files in etmain... the only time they're required is
1. with .campaign files included if you don't have b_campaignfile set
2. with a .md5 (maybe .mdx) file if you have b_realhead set
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
deej

Post by deej »

gotenks wrote:2. with a .md5 (maybe .mdx) file if you have b_realhead set
I have never heard of this. What's this gotenks?
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

deej wrote:
gotenks wrote:2. with a .md5 (maybe .mdx) file if you have b_realhead set
I have never heard of this. What's this gotenks?
A model.

You know, player model, weapon model - etc.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

yeah, if it etpro running b_realhead see's this it assumes it may be a new head hitbox to calculate so the client needs it... with b_realhead off all those calculations are turned off... oh and with this option set, you won't beable to play on the server without this, if your clients have downloads turned off they will get kicked
My Website
ripthesystem

Post by ripthesystem »

My account was finally approved on here so Birdman no longer has to post for me (Thanks Birdman!!)

Anyways...

My understanding is that if you place the .pk3's in the ETpro folder then they are required. I would like it to be a requirement for this server that anyone playing on the server must use the skins, sounds, and watermark.

The problem isn't that people are being kicked. In fact no one is being kicked at all (and Downloads are turned on) the problem is that when you first come to the server, you download the files I have in the ETpro folder (sound, skin, watermark) from the redirect and then immediately loop and start downloading the same files again from the server.

So basically, all my files from the redirect that are maps (coming from ETmain) seem to work fine and don't re-download from the game server. All my files from the redirect that aren't maps (coming from ETpro - watermark, etc) are looping back to the server to be downloaded again.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

so through a mdx file (from pak0.pk3) in your pk3 file, put it in etmain and turn realheads on... but you'll probably piss ALOT of people off... forcing someone to download something is a very nasty thing to do
My Website
ripthesystem

Post by ripthesystem »

OK, I there are .mdx and .md3 files in the skinpack.pk3. I have moved the skinpack.pk3 to the ETmain folder and I have moved the z_soundpack.pk3 to the ETmain folder.

I also have:

Code: Select all

set b_realhead "1"
However now when you connect to the server, you don't download either the skinpack.pk3 or the z_soundpack.pk3
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

what version are you running (et/etpro)
what's your server ip?
My Website
booger

Post by booger »

Had that problem before on another server,not etpro. Turns out they had pure 0 and the .so file was in etmain,not where it was sposed to be,dunno if that helps
The Birdman

Post by The Birdman »

:oops: it turned out while changing some of the commands in the server cfg to see there effects he had changed one of the redirect download ones and had forgotten to change it back, as soon as he realized this it all worked properly after setting it back.

The server ip's gotenks are :

66.28.23.72:27970 (this is the one he had the trouble on, not to sure where this one is located but it's central USA, rip knows exact location)

66.55.148.118:27960 (location NY/NJ USA but will be moved shortly to London or Holland)

212.187.246.104:27960 (location London)

All are running ETPro 3.2.0, here is a link to our joint clan site http://www.outcastclansite.com -=OC=- is the North American side and BMW is our European side.

Anyways cheers for the help guys, it was much appreciated.
ripthesystem

Post by ripthesystem »

aye, thanks again Gotenks!