Help: Long time ETPro devotee, but Server n00b

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Yamabushi

Post by Yamabushi »

Yes, I am behind a NAT router.

Ok, I have removed the "set_ip" and removed the subfolder for the server.cfg.

Starting server with:
etded.exe +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 27960 +set fs_game etpro +set fs_homepath 27960 +set sv_punkbuster 1 +set com_hunkmegs 196 +exec server.cfg +map goldrush

Currently server.cfg & maprotate.cfg, are in my etmain folder. I have forwarded UDP ports 27950-27965 to the correct internal IP.

Can someone please try to connect and let me know if you are able? Additionally, I would like this server to show up in the popular server browsers, so any help there would be appreciated.

BTW, Reyal please say hello to Oral_B for me.
Cheers,
Yamabushi
Tokyo, Japan
Yamabushi

Post by Yamabushi »

Additionally, I should mention that I am able to join the server via my LAN and it runs through my custom campaign correctly.
Cheers,
Yamabushi
Tokyo, Japan
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Connected OK, 150 ping from west US.

The ftp download for yama.pk3 didn't work, but with cl_allowdownload 0, I was able to connect. If I let the FTP download time out, the UDP download also works.
send lawyers, guns and money
Yamabushi

Post by Yamabushi »

Reyal,

Thank you! One other person had the same result. BTW, 150 is the right ping from there. I used to play on Terminal Insanity MBox all the time and that was about my ping.

Does the FTP redirect look correct in my config? If so, I probably need to change something in my FTP server.

Please, advise.
Cheers,
Yamabushi
Tokyo, Japan
Yamabushi

Post by Yamabushi »

Quick question... basically I should be setting the FTP server to accept an anonymous connection, is that right?
Cheers,
Yamabushi
Tokyo, Japan
Yamabushi

Post by Yamabushi »

Can someone please give this a try again and let me know what happens?

Server: 61.198.212.29:27960

I believe I have the FTP sorted out. I have a 100Mbit connection so downloads should be fast.
Cheers,
Yamabushi
Tokyo, Japan
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

IIRC, ET sends a referrer string with the ftp request (or is that only http?), you can use this to prevent other server admins from redirecting to your FTP.
Yamabushi

Post by Yamabushi »

Lagger, can you or someone else expand on the "referrer string"? At the moment my FTP is just setup to accept anonymous connections. Should it be set to something different?
Cheers,
Yamabushi
Tokyo, Japan
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

Nah i remembered incorrectly, it only works for http.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Yamabushi wrote:Lagger, can you or someone else expand on the "referrer string"? At the moment my FTP is just setup to accept anonymous connections. Should it be set to something different?
you can encode the username and password in the URL. like:
ftp://user:password@host:port/path

If you can, I would suggest using http downloads instead. If nothing else, a lot more people know how to set it up correctly.
send lawyers, guns and money
Yamabushi

Post by Yamabushi »

I appreciate all the help so far.

If anyone can help farther that would be great. I need to get some feedback regarding the following four questions:

1) Are you able to successfully connect?
2) Are you able download successfully?
3) What kind of speed are you getting?
4) Does my server, "Yamabushi's Place", show up in your server browser?

Thank you in advance.
Cheers,
Yamabushi
Tokyo, Japan
The Birdman

Post by The Birdman »

I live in Ireland, the other side of the world from you, but thought i'd give it a try and see what kind of connection i'd have. Here's my answers to your questions.

1. Yes on my second attempt after adding missing map to etmain folder.

2. Yes but not from redirect, i didn't have the map baserace_b3 in my etmain folder, the download from the redirect failed and it started downloading from the server, so i stopped it closed the game and added it myself (it was going to take 9 minutes from server, i had the map but just not in my etmain folder).

3. With no one else in the server i was running around as if i had zero ping, but it was ranging from 400 to 420 :lol: .

4. No, i had to use "connect to ip", i restarted the game several times and it never showed in the list.

Happy fragging from Ireland, hope you get it all sorted.
Server 212.187.208.13:27960

Visit our clan site
Yamabushi

Post by Yamabushi »

Birdman,

Thank you very much for the feedback.

I made some changes, to the FTP Server... if you get a chance to try again that would be great.

BTW, my question #3 is about download speed, sorry for being ambiguous.
Cheers,
Yamabushi
Tokyo, Japan
The Birdman

Post by The Birdman »

woops on #3, the old grey matter wasn't fully awake this morning when reading :lol: .

I removed baserace in case i hit that map again, but lucky enough it was another (axislab) that i also didn't have in my etmain folder (did a reinstall recently haven't added all maps to folder yet, i'm a lazy bugger lol), but sadly the redirect failed again and it started downloading from the server @ 12kb with a time of approx 12 mins.
Server 212.187.208.13:27960

Visit our clan site
Yamabushi

Post by Yamabushi »

Birdman,

OK, you are showing up on my FTP. It appears that things are going wrong when it starts hitting PASV mode.

I just put more explicit settings there as far as my external IP and port range. I really hope that does the trick.

You've been a great sport if you have a chance... :-)

Thank you !
Cheers,
Yamabushi
Tokyo, Japan