Etpro 3.2.5 Server accepts both clients

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Clutch152

Etpro 3.2.5 Server accepts both clients

Post by Clutch152 »

I actually got my ETpro 3.2.5 baserace server to accept both 2.60 and 2.60b clients. I was switching my server from 3.2.6 to 3.2.5 and accidentally left the etpro_cheats.dat from 3.2.6 on the server and now it accepts both clients somehow. I play on the 2.60b client and my friend playes on the 2.60 client and we play on there just fine. I just found this to be very interesting and may help some people.

I also tested this on another of my servers which is hosted by a different company and it worked
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Bad things will happen.

When your players start complaining about mysterious crashes, don't complain to us.
send lawyers, guns and money
Clutch152

Post by Clutch152 »

oh I wont. I know its risky but I havn't really had any complaints and havn't had any problems.
McNite

Post by McNite »

Which bad things?

Server can be patched to 2.60b - server is safe.
Clients with 2.60b can play - they are safe and happily playing.
Clients with 2.60 can play - they r not safe (not the admins problem) but happily playing

Or is there anything within ETPro that s getting unstable with clutch's "mistake"?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

McNite wrote:Which bad things?

Server can be patched to 2.60b - server is safe.
FFS. either etpro version works with the 2.60B server. How many fucking times do I have to explain that ? ETPro only cares about the client executable.
Clients with 2.60b can play - they are safe and happily playing.
But are still subject to the bugs and exploits that exist in 3.2.5. Also, per my previous comment, if you trick etpro into running with the wrong .exe (it's only because of a bug that 3.2.5 doesn't give you a fatal "incorrect et version" error with 3.2.6) it is very likely that things will screw up. AFAIK, that bug also only exists on windows, so 2.60b linux/mac clients will not be able to play.
Clients with 2.60 can play - they r not safe (not the admins problem) but happily playing

Or is there anything within ETPro that s getting unstable with clutch's "mistake"?
There is. Why else would I have said:
When your players start complaining about mysterious crashes, don't complain to us.
edit:
the only correct solution is to update your server to the lastest version.
send lawyers, guns and money