poor FPS issues in 3.0.x

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

V6.Sven

Post by V6.Sven »

bani wrote: how about disabling/removing netlimiter totally? the et engine has its own rate control and likely netlimiter interferes with it.
I only downloaded it to try if it would help, so before I had downloaded and used netlimiter, the problem already occured. I already switched it off.

The fps drops are clearly connected to the amount of players connected to the server. While a sertain amount of players is on the server, I get a steady drop in fps, it eats away about 10 fps compared to an empthy server. But when 3 or more players get in my sight, the drop is dramatic. Using cg_lagometer 2, it really shows the sudden drop from green to yellow when viewing other players. In an enviroment that has roughly the same elements in it, I can turn 180 degrees and the fps drops from 60 to 30, once the player models appear on my screen. I tried switching down the model graphics (r_lodbias as far as I know), but it had no effect.

Any suggestions?
Blizz

Post by Blizz »

V6.Sven wrote:
bani wrote: how about disabling/removing netlimiter totally? the et engine has its own rate control and likely netlimiter interferes with it.
I only downloaded it to try if it would help, so before I had downloaded and used netlimiter, the problem already occured. I already switched it off.

The fps drops are clearly connected to the amount of players connected to the server. While a sertain amount of players is on the server, I get a steady drop in fps, it eats away about 10 fps compared to an empthy server. But when 3 or more players get in my sight, the drop is dramatic. Using cg_lagometer 2, it really shows the sudden drop from green to yellow when viewing other players. In an enviroment that has roughly the same elements in it, I can turn 180 degrees and the fps drops from 60 to 30, once the player models appear on my screen. I tried switching down the model graphics (r_lodbias as far as I know), but it had no effect.

Any suggestions?
does your ping rise when your frames drop?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

i think ive narrowed the problem down but i need some people with the fps problems who will be available to do some bugfix testing online.
V6.Sven

Post by V6.Sven »

Blizz wrote:does your ping rise when your frames drop?
I'm not sure about that. The drop doesn't last long enough to be able to open the scoreboard and get a good look at my ping. And opening the scoreboard also influences the fps you have.
bani wrote:i think ive narrowed the problem down but i need some people with the fps problems who will be available to do some bugfix testing online.
Count me in, I would love to get rid of the problem. With a fully tweaked config the difference between a full and an empthy server is still 25 fps, so the problem is still there. What should I do?
west

Post by west »

I have serious fps problems too, but not only in etpro. They happen in etmain too. When in a local empty server the frame rate gets alot better. My hardware is: Radeon 9600XT, 512mb ram, athlon xp 1800+, Windows Xp Professional. I currently use maximum rate (25000) for my 256k cable connection. My ping is generaly steady at 60 ms when i'm playing in servers located in my country.
west

Post by west »

I just tried running a local server again (etmain). With PunkBuster activated, i had an average of 40-45 fps. Running it with PB deactivated resulted in a ~15fps increase (some times more). I know punkbuster does get some of your machine, but isn't that a little bit too much? And lets admit, this is not the most reliable anti cheat system... We have to consider they do constant updates, so you never know if things are getting better or worse, maybe this is even a recent thing (a bug fix there, another bug here). I'm obviously just speculating here, so don't take me bad if i'm saying bullshit =]
KingJackaL

I think I found something...

Post by KingJackaL »

OK, I finally found a pattern in the crap fps.

I set com_maxfps to 43. My fps varied wildly between 25 and 40 - average around 35.

I set com_maxfps to 76. My fps varied wildly between 30 and 70 - average around maybe 45? Hard to tell.

I set com_maxfps to 125. My fps varied wildly between 40 and 120 - average around... nfi, WAY too much movement on the lagometer (2) to tell

THEN I set com_maxfps to 1200.

...and I get a nice solid 250 fps! :D
( bear in mind I have an ub3r-tweaked config as a result of trying to get around these fps issues )

In other words, the fps crap seems to be directly related to my com_maxfps value. The more com_maxfps 'kicks in' (stops the et rendering from making another frame I assume), the worse things get. Of course, I now can't limit my fps to a nice 76/125 for trickjumping, but at least things are smooth.

Ohhhh, sooo smooothhh.... :) :) :D :D
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

I should mention another oddity - setting "r_swapInterval 1" with my monitor @ 75Hz means my fps vary between 70 and 76.... so that seems to be giving me a fps close enough to 76.
bani
Site Admin

Re: I think I found something...

Post by bani »

KingJackaL wrote:THEN I set com_maxfps to 1200.

...and I get a nice solid 250 fps! :D
o_O

can you try starting from a clean config and making the ONLY change com_maxfps 1200 and see if thats the only thing that fixes it?
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

I made a fresh install of ET and etpro3.0.1. I then joined a server that at the time was running Fuel Dump.

Standing by the barriers while everyone else was fighting over the bridge resulted in massive fps variation between about 30 and 70. With com_maxfps put up to 2000, I got a reasonably solid 120-140 fps. And with com_maxfps 43 I got around 30 fps (variable).

So the pattern appears to be consistent in that fresh install ( although it was difficult to notice on Radar, where the lack of tweaking and the servers' use of r_drawfoliage 1 ensured i got crappy fps anyway :roll: )
meLonF

Post by meLonF »

i tried adjusting the com_maxfps but it made no difference for me :/

with com_maxfps set to 1200 my fps is still dropping down to 70~ (cap is usually set to 125).

Also, it seems (for me at least) my fps is limited by my CPU, as i tried running ET @ 800 x 600 and i still can't get a steady 125 fps (especially on outdoor areas)

considering my config is quite heavily tweaked for performance, and i'm running a P4C @ 3.1 ghz, i find it quite surprising that ET will not run at a steady 125 FPS :(

prior to etpro 3.## it seemed to never drop below 125 fps. Will do some testing on some etmain *shudders* servers tonight and let you know the results
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

with com_maxfps set to 1200 my fps is still dropping down to 70~ (cap is usually set to 125).
...but with the limit @ 125, does it dip lower than 70~?

( I'm using cg_maxfps 2000 ATM - basically just a stupidly large number I won't reach. 1200 was just me typo'ing ;) )
meLonF

Post by meLonF »

KingJackaL wrote:
...but with the limit @ 125, does it dip lower than 70~?

( I'm using cg_maxfps 2000 ATM - basically just a stupidly large number I won't reach. 1200 was just me typo'ing ;) )
it seems regardless of my settings it drops to 70-80 mark on outdoor areas in maps like fueldump. I get the same fps drops if my maxfps is set to 125 or 1200. Same fps drops if i'm running 800 x 600 or 1280 x 1024 :?

so it looks like we have different problems cause fps drops and in my case its the cpu limiting me.

*edit* when i raised the maxfps i did notice that i get really high fps indoors 250+ but as soon as i get to outdoor areas it goes as low as 70 ~ .
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

is there anyone who can consistently get poor fps on the quaketheism server 69.93.136.70:27969 vs etpro 2.0.7 ?

if so, i'd like to schedule a test session to debug where the fps performance problems are coming from.
meLonF

Post by meLonF »

i will give it a try bani, but it appears my raid array might have just failed so it might be a while before i get my pc back up and running :(