skript kidz

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

ouroboro

skript kidz

Post by ouroboro »

was playing earlier (etpro 3.1.9, pb) and spotted a centerview scripter (easy to spot), so in the interests of keeping up to speed, i acted like i thought it was just dandy and asked if it was the same one i had seen, etc. in case it was some new method. it wasn't. anyway, he turned out to be rather proud and described how he has mouse4 (a roll of the thumb) bound to it, and asked me to spec him. i'd seen it all before, but anyway it was side-sweeping, headshots-o-rama.

then he says, watch this, and presumably flicked another toggle which integrated the script with his weapon firing - the effect was that *every* shot was dead-on head level, because apparently this script would

center; fire; center; fire

etc etc. so even if his hand slipped vertically, it would be squarely lined up in time for the next shot. as a side effect, however, his shots were slowed, almost as if he were trying to fire the thompson in singleshot mode, but with *perfect* rhythm and precise timing between shots. it was still fast enough, though. don't get the wrong impression that it was reeeeaaalllyy slloooowwww - it wasn't.

another "interesting" tidbit was that this gave his pistol(s) zero recoil, ala rtcw.

so, question: how does everyone feel about this stuff? i feel it's as lame as a wallhack, but i'm a stickler. maybe others feel it's perfectly acceptable?

FWIW this could be stopped with a simple etpro cvar enforcement like

command "sv_cvar cl_pitchspeed in 140" (is there any legit reason to change this value? i know of none, just asking)

but we all know leagues are the world's worst procrastinators, and besides that, the whines would be heard all across the land if they started enforcing it. also, after seeing some of the "enforcements" in some games/some leagues - rediculous things like invalid cvars or ranges outside engine limits - i wonder if the "powers that be" even have a clue to begin with

:roll:
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
skillzilla

Post by skillzilla »

demos??
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

unfortunately no. i had autoaction off. a demo wouldn't tell me how it was done anyway. just imagine if the old "centerview" command still worked, and then imagine someone firing an SMG by tapping fire really fast, but one shot at a time - that's basically what it "looked" like - and that's all a demo would show. i did try to reproduce the fire script but have had limited results (i'm an amateur). i can't figure out how the center/fire/center/fire bit works exactly. i did manage to remove recoil from the first 3 or 4 shots from a pistol, but that's all i can figure out so far.

this kinda stuff is why i wish we could search the value of other players' cvars, like we can with the servers cvars (pb_cvarval).
Deus

Post by Deus »

ouroboro wrote: this kinda stuff is why i wish we could search the value of other players' cvars, like we can with the servers cvars (pb_cvarval).
You can do this as a serveradmin
but even there it is too much a security whole that evil serveradmins can use to gain access over foreign servers.
if you give this to teh playaz it would be no good
DG

Post by DG »

isnt centerview removed from ET?
and most places limit yaw:pitch to be 2:1 at worst?
:o

"but even there it is too much a security whole that evil serveradmins can use to gain access over foreign servers."
- I cant understand that :?
Deus

Post by Deus »

DG wrote:"but even there it is too much a security whole that evil serveradmins can use to gain access over foreign servers."
- I cant understand that :?
PM
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

DG wrote:isnt centerview removed from ET?
and most places limit yaw:pitch to be 2:1 at worst?
:o
it doesn't use m_pitch/yaw, it use cl_pitchspeed with some commands. i'm not gonna get too deep into the topic because i've been flamed raw before for suggesting it was possible. people who didn't believe me simply flamed me rather than discuss it, so i'm not going down THAT road again.

i was just curious how other FELT about such a thing. discussing it beyond that is pointless since the likelihood of server admins adding a cvar check for cl_pitchspeed based on what some stranger says on a forum is slim to none.

but do you all think it's lame, or fine and dandy? just curious..? i vote lame, but OTOH ppl can also set their mouse driver to lock at centerview and there's nothing anyone can do about it (except laugh when they can't look down at a proner :lol: ) . i'm going to keep fiddling with trying to figure out how it was done, and if i crack this nut i will post the script for all to see. if it won't be stopped it should be spread i suppose. don't count on it though because it's already making me swear and giving me a headache. maybe an advanced scripter can figure it out.

oh that leads me to a question about the etpro cvar check: say a script changed a cvar value for only an instant - how fast does etpro "force" it to be within range? fast enough to stop such scripts, or not? so just for the sake of illustration let's assume i wanted to do

bind x "cg_fov 150; wait 10; cg_fov 90"

as a sort of "check out the surroundings" script (i just pulled that out of my ass to illustrate this, i'm not saying it'd be usefull :P) and say etpro was enforcing cg_fov to 120 max - would the script work, but the 150 be capped at 120, or would it simply not work at all, since it was trying to use an illegal value?

hope that made sense, im still groggy :shock:
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

once uive been on a server for a while pb normally kicks for scripts like that, atleast they kicked me as soon as i pressed it anyways :P
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

yes that's not what i meant. pb kicks you for setting a cvar out of range, etpro simply forces it within range (to the nearest value) and let's you keep playing.

that's why i wondered how it would handle a script that changed a cvar to a value that was out of range for a split second, then back again. i know what pb would do - you will simply get booted
DG

Post by DG »

can you gimme a PM with link or text on it? i an have a look into it for the cvar restrictions page.

ps. thanks Deus :o
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

IMO, centerview was removed, so anything that has the same effect should be removed as well. Anti-recoil scripts are alse banned by most leagues already, regardless of how they are implemented.

There was some debate earlier about restricting cl_pitchspeed/cl_yawspeed (thread on mortar scripts).

edit:
Have you sent this 'exploit' to the etpro team, or any league admins ? If not, why ?
send lawyers, guns and money
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

not. and i pretty much explained why above. i don't have a hell of a lot of faith that the "league officials" can walk and chew gum, tbh. and as we debated another time, bani isn't the man to burden with this - they are.

i don't have the "leet" version of the scripts anyway, i'm not part of the inner circle of "trade secrets" i guess. but i did give DG a pretty tame example of how they can be used, since he asked for it and is an influential voice among server admins. perhaps admins will take it upon themselves to limit cl_pitchspeed if he suggests it.

either way it's not a *huge* issue due to mouse driver tweaking. on that topic, i just played a pub game after utterly locking my crosshair at head level with all legal cvar settings, and without any centerview equivalent - just a simple registry setting.

headshots galore; but only on level ground. anywhere else and i was toast. a bit of experimenting showed that you can get pretty damned near "horizontal-only" but still be able to look up/down when needed. just use a relatively high cl_mouseaccel along with a very low sensitivity, and the registry setting. this allows you to not worry much about the vertical axis, but with a fast flick up or down you can "break free" of the "center lock". the problem is getting back to center - but that's where a simple cl_pitchspeed scipt comes in. tap that sucker and you're back on target. you can essentially run around like you're playing DOOM 1, but still have the freedom to point elsewhere if need be.

if any of that makes sense. guess i'm not real good at illustrating these things...
Last edited by ouroboro on Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DG

Post by DG »

fwiw the script worked better than i thought it would, at least offline by myself anyway. not as cleanly as centerview ones did, I cant exactly see it being useful for a really skilled player, but it's not that far off, certainly quick enough for this sort of thing to be a issue for scoped anti-recoil. What really surprised me was this script actually went to centerview regardless of where the xhair was when you hit it, rather than just jerk down an amount to compensate for scope recoil.

nobody uses keys to look, and most places lock freelook to enabled anyway, so i cant see any harm from restricting it.

/goes off hunting for mortar script threads

[see's new post above and edits: tbh i'm only really concerned about snap-to-center and toggles. the downsides to other 'fixed' methods bring sufficient disadvantage with them imo, tho thinking about combinations of yaw:pitch on drivers and yaw:pitch on cvars gives me a headache at this time.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

ouroboro wrote:not. and i pretty much explained why above. i don't have a hell of a lot of faith that the "league officials" can walk and chew gum, tbh. and as we debated another time, bani isn't the man to burden with this - they are.
GG :roll:

Once again, you seek attention rather than actually trying to do something. There is abosutely no harm in sending something like this to the etpro team or league admins. The worst that will happen is they won't do anything about it.
send lawyers, guns and money
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

wtf? dude get off my case plz. i said i don't have the one i'm trying to get my hands on, but i gave what i did have to the guy i think could have the most influence. if you disagree with who that person is, fine. if you think any league is going to do what Joe Nobody (that'd be me) tells them, you're nuts. but i'm not farking looking for attention, so fark off. my only motivation is to help peel away all the gayness that can possibly be stripped from the game, and i see this kind of thing as another scab to start picking at.

the point of the thread was to ask what others thought of the idea of centerview scripts. it wasn't to re-open our little love-spat. i genuinely want to know if i'm the only one who thinks it's hella-lame.

sorry if you disagree/dislike me/whatever. seems like i can't do anything right with you, man. anyway if DG sees fit to show the little lame script i gave him to the powers that be, that's his decision. he's certainly more qualified to make that decision than i am. i'm just a player who wants everybody to have to control their mouse on both axis like i do.

and if i wanted attention i'd run naked through the streets...

:?