Team Change Causes Server Lag

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

EagleReloaded

Team Change Causes Server Lag

Post by EagleReloaded »

*Standard disclaimer - apologies if this has been posted before, to my knowledge it hasn't and I couldn't find much searching on the topic*

The spam created by abuse of the /team command causes server lag for all players, and in extreme cases can cause disconnects due to server command overflows. I noticed this the other evening during a scrim when an opponent began to flick between Allies, Axis and spec as fast as he could mash his keys, and the server ground to a halt. Two people were disconnected before I could kick him. Last night my clanmates and I tested it on a different server, and after a few seconds worth of flicking, the ping of everyone in the server jumped from ~50 to ~300.

I realise that this really shouldn't be a big issue in match situations, but when teams are balanced on a pub server it does leave the door open to ruin things. The simplest solution to me seems to be to introduce a delay period of 1 second between uses of the /team command. Would this be possible?
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

that exact function was part of a script i wrote, the typematic rate decides the team change rate. i noticed i could kill a server with it so i took it out. but some ppl might still have the old version :(

it's a good idea and i should have proposed it a long time ago ;)
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

easy enough to do with lua mods, if you have to have a fix right now