ET Pro 3.1.14 Public Beta Release

Official ET Pro announcements here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Slayer

Post by Slayer »

yeah steven but you are from the UK. and everyone knows the rest of the world > UK
syn.Slay
#syndrom
Blackout

Post by Blackout »

more people lurk here than you may suspect; don't assume silence indicates absence
gjrc

Post by gjrc »

Nail wrote:rof = rate of fire

lol not quite what i was after.

i want to know what effect it has on gameplay and why everyone seems so agitated over it?
Deus

Post by Deus »

gjrc wrote:
Nail wrote:rof = rate of fire

lol not quite what i was after.

i want to know what effect it has on gameplay and why everyone seems so agitated over it?
I suggest you check this out for yourself
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

gjrc wrote:i want to know what effect it has on gameplay and why everyone seems so agitated over it?
The truth is no-one knows for certain what effect it'll have because it hasn't been tested yet, but many suspect it'll make the game more defensive, which is the last thing ET needs.

On ETNation we organised a test match to try it out, and although it was random UK Clan players thrown together into 2 ad-hoc teams (so not quite as good as 2 proper Clans fighting it out) even so we were all on comms and weren't entirely "pubbing it" and we almost double full-held each other on SupplyDepot, one of the supposedly more attack friendly ET maps.

Higher ROF makes defensive cross-fires even more lethal, it enables bodies to be gibbed much, much faster making Med rushes less effective, but we also used the option to disable ET's distance damage fall-off, which was probably not a good idea either. ET's bigger, more open maps, pretty much require damage distance fall-off to work, which is why SD put it in in the first place.

The other objection is it blurs the distinction between ET and RTCW even more, which is something I have an issue with as many people play ET precisely because they don't want to play RTCW. And whilst the same argument is true as it was for XP (i.e. ET + RTCW ROF <> RTCW) it's also true that ET + RTCW ROF is much more like RTCW than ET + ET ROF, with more emphasis on SMG skills, or rather more emphasis on reaction time compared to aim (tracking) ability.

Now Bani has lowered the ROF to RTCW Thompson ROF (it was RTCW MP40 in 3.1.13, which is what we used for our test game) I'd like to see 2 top Euro Clans going at it with this ROF before making up my mind, but I'm against it in principle because I've never seen a thread / post / discussion explaining why ET needs higher ROF. I've read (and written) many posts explaining why ET needed XP restrictions, which is why I asked previously for people to stop using the XP argument to support ROF, they're completely different issues.

As long we continue to introduce change UNLESS a valid argument can be produced for not doing so (as opposed to introducing change BECAUSE we have good reason to do so) ET's on a dangerous path. Also with this ROF change ETPro has now firmly moved into Shrub territory by introducing a massively game altering cvar that can't (as far as I'm aware) be tested for in ASE.
Last edited by Kendle on Mon May 09, 2005 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gjrc

Post by gjrc »

i have been looking but i cant find an explanation...

just lots of posts saying why its bad or why its good?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

you can't test for xp limits in ase either... or weaponlimits... or mine limits...
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

bani wrote:you can't test for xp limits in ase either... or weaponlimits... or mine limits...
You can get an approximation. You know Campaign and Stopwatch are going to give you different experiences, you can look at the player list / scores on Campaign servers to see if there are any really high scores (and so guess it's a 6-10 mapper), you can avoid Shrub completely etc...

But weapon / mine / XP restrictions etc. are minor compared to ROF, which is an order of magnitude greater in terms of how it alters the game.
deej

Post by deej »

gjrc wrote:i have been looking but i cant find an explanation...
With RTCW rate-of-fire your gun fires faster than with ET rate-of-fire. I.e. you kill faster & die faster.

This means that the claim "he who gets in the first shot, gets the kill" is now true in 95% of the cases.

As Kendle said, from the few games I played I also noticed it eases defence. We played a few scrims with wolfrof 1 and it's easy to camp & wait for the attacking team to show their heads and take their players down.

Especially camping on oasis & goldrush was fairly easy with 2 well-positioned players.

But it's true, we should get some top clans together to do a few test matches to see wether or not wolfrof is a good thing for competitive play.
Last edited by deej on Tue May 10, 2005 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
Deus

Post by Deus »

suggestion:

make a serverinfocvar named bani and make it hold all the on/off b_cvars as bitmask so serverbrowsers can filter out the settings
i.E.:
b_wolfrof 1
b_damagedistancefalloff 2
b_anotherone 4
b_andagain 8
b_blah 16

and make bani = 21 to have wolfrof, anotherone and blah
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

i dont think ase can filter on bitfields. and how are you supposed to filter on weapon limits or xp limits?

et doesnt 'need' increased rof, but then it didnt 'need' xp damage either, or 'need' sticky charge etc. its up to the leagues to decide this.

really, you should be debating the settings with your leagues. distance falloff, helmet protection, rof, xp limits, xp damage, sticky charge, etc.

controversy over features has come and gone, tbh rof is one of the least controversial things ever. i got a lot worse shit over xp damage and xp limits (hell, i got death threats over xp limits...)
Last edited by bani on Tue May 10, 2005 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deus

Post by Deus »

but it can be taught to filter (needs coding and software update though)

idea for the weaponlimit things is similar to the weaponstats
if they are limited add the value at the end delimited by a space
but this can make the cvar get big, but smaller then make everything sets
wolfrof 1
maxpanzer 2
maxmortar 4
maxflamer 8
maxmg42 16
maxriflegrenades 32
maxmines 64

b_wolfrof = 1
team_maxpanzers = 2
team_maxmortar = 1
team_maxflamer = -1
team_maxmg42 = 0
team_maxriflegrenades = 2
team_maxmines = 7

bitmask = 1 + 2 + 4 +16 +32 + 64 = 119
bani = "119 2 1 0 2 7"
Last edited by Deus on Tue May 10, 2005 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

now make an ase filter script for that 8)
gjrc

Post by gjrc »

but if its an option...

does this mean that leagues such as cb etc will insist on the rtcw rof?

surely if no one uses the option it wont be an issue?

/edit oh and thanks for the explanations guys

:)
Deus

Post by Deus »

bani wrote:now make an ase filter script for that 8)
I can make one for php, but i have never used ase and have no idea.
butthe coders of ase can do so ;)