Kmod 2.60b

Discussions about ET modding (sdk code, player/weapon modeling)

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

ReyalP wrote:
Luk4ward wrote:what about to:

forcecvar mod_version etpro 3.2.6 required 2.60b patch
whaaaa ?
If your thinking you can force something and change what shows up in the error box, you are incorrect.
btw why the exe files from 2.60b havent been yet included in the 2.60 patch installation pack and renamed to 2.60b patch? eh, crappy developers (ID/splashdamage) who dnt care of excellent game anymore
Lets see, they released a complete game for free with an SDK, and supported 2 major patches, the release of ETTV, a Mac port and security updates.

Based on that, I find your attitude unjustified and somewhat insulting. Don't get me wrong, I too wish they would come out with a full combined installer with all the latest stuff, but have some perspective.
nope, the idea is to inform the player before he will connect, so it could be good idea to change the name of mod from etpro 3.2.6 to smth like etpro 3.2.6 required 2.60b patch

@ devs

I do respect they work, but they shouldnt have left the game which they created, AA is also a free game but supporting all the time...I just cant understand why,

regards
wolFTeam.pl
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

aa was created as a requiting game for the US Army... of course they're gonna update it... ET was created as a retail game, of which the project was scrapped
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Nail

Post by Nail »

in 2002 AA had a $7,000,000 budget, the division involved with simulations has a $1.1 billion dollar yearly budget, give even a small percentage to SD and I'm pretty sure they'd do more updates
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Luk4ward wrote: I do respect they work, but they shouldnt have left the game which they created, AA is also a free game but supporting all the time...I just cant understand why,

regards
The difference between AA and ET should be obvious. One is funded by outside sources, and the other isn't.

ET generates zero revenue for SD, id and ATVI, all of whom are busy with other things.
send lawyers, guns and money
-=W.Haile.T=-

Post by -=W.Haile.T=- »

Well i think sd/id are taking advantage of the bug at the least, to get more people to switch over to ET:QW. I mean thats why they made ET in the first place right ...to build up an online fps market for the big profitable games they wanted to make in the future. I read just about all u can read about the 2.60b problem trying to fix it and noticed a trail of carelessness on their part as dev's:

Took them 7 years to find out about this bug/leak

When they released it ..they said:
If you don't wish to upgrade, you can decide to only enable http/ftp downloads and disable legacy downloads in that particular case.
But that was wrong:
Only problem being, of course, that there's no way to disable legacy downloading whilst enabling http/ftp downloads. Someone who wrote that readme at ActiSplashid must have been asleep behind the wheel.

They didn't inform everybody that it's mainly server side only

I think it was a strange way they release it. It wasn't mentioned on any of the official sites.

Took along time for the 2.60b patch to get added to the official ET d/l sites

sd/id wont make a new installer or a better patch

people have made new game installers patched to 2.60b and have tried to get them recognized as "official" installers ...but sd/id wont "officalize" them

anyways i'm not trying to start a flame war or get everyone pissed at me specially since i'm new around here and wanna do some lua scripting for ETPro later but, its just something i was thinking and whatever it is, they at least dropped the ball big time and need to correct it, imho.
Intellect is that which enables one to reason without anxiety, and to address the questions that challenge one's concept of reality. Intellect is freedom and the courage to explore areas others dare not go - Pythagoras
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

-=W.Haile.T=-

Post by -=W.Haile.T=- »

lol ....i ordered one tonight......they even had next day shipping 0_o....
Intellect is that which enables one to reason without anxiety, and to address the questions that challenge one's concept of reality. Intellect is freedom and the courage to explore areas others dare not go - Pythagoras
Nail

Post by Nail »

2.60b patch was issued by id Software afaik, fix for all quake3 engine game servers. If you think SD lost a shit load of money giving ET away instead of retailing it, just to build future hype, you are delusional
-=W.Haile.T=-

Post by -=W.Haile.T=- »

Not to give it away and lose money .....but to build a customer base that would purchase future games, ones that would take large investments to create. If you planned one making an online game you would first need a community to buy such a game. So ET was created to build this online community as customers for future ET type games.

Anyways all that doesn't matter and it's not some master conspiracy ...sd/id are just doing what is in there interest ....to push their new games and not make it easy to game the old ones. You'll start seeing alot more of this with drm and the dirext x 10.1 thing is funny as well.
Nail

Post by Nail »

ahhh, I see.
Please remove collander from head, tinfoil from windows, and go for a walk in the real world before you lose touch completely.

8)
-=W.Haile.T=-

Post by -=W.Haile.T=- »

ok put it on my things to do list :wink:
Nail

Post by Nail »

all kidding aside, I commend id Software for taking the chance and releasing the MP portion when the SP fell through. I think after the demo received good press, the test was whether a MP only game would work. Enemy Territory certainly proved it would.
Major Zeman

Post by Major Zeman »

...and I commend them for making two patches to that free game, one of them when they were already in development of ET:QW. And a bugfix for three games, one of them 7 years old.

I can't really be annoyed by them not making full install of 2.60b. They made a fix for three games, by the time when QW already had delays I believe. I can image how much of a burden can maintanance of a free game be. I can't blame them for not having time or will to make a new install for 3 different games, 3 OS versions.
lua > me
-=W.Haile.T=-

Post by -=W.Haile.T=- »

A corporations purpose is to make profits for the shareholders, its the only reason they exist, the CEO that runs a corporation has a job ....to guarantee profits for the owners nothing more, nothing less. Anything that doesn't fall under making profits is not done. You can see corporations getting dirty following these principals like enron/worldcom, they will do whatever it takes to make extreme profit, even risk going to jail. Corporations don't do anything for free, its not their nature.

Were just talking about a free game Enemy Territory here right? No were talking about a multibillion dollar gaming industry which broke profits in the billions last year.

Point being that if id/splashdamage made ET out of the kindness of their heart ...more power to them ...they broke the norm ...cool nice job ...but more than likely id/sd had profit in mind, to build an online customer base for their up and coming games, look at how much ET is in ET:QW, its not called a conspiracy ....its called a business plan.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

-=W.Haile.T=- wrote:A corporations purpose is to make profits for the shareholders, its the only reason they exist, the CEO that runs a corporation has a job ....to guarantee profits for the owners nothing more, nothing less. Anything that doesn't fall under making profits is not done.
That's a very simplistic view. Corporations are run by people, and, especially in the case of privately held ones like SD and id, are strongly influenced by their owners attitudes and principles. If id had wanted to become the biggest (and hence potentially most profitable for the owners) game company in the world, they would have pursued a very different course.

Carmack has said many times that he doesn't think there's a very convincing business case for GPLing all his old engines, but he does it anyway because it feels like the right thing to do.