ettv blows

Forum for discussing ET TV

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

ouroboro

ettv blows

Post by ouroboro »

i'm sorry, perhaps it's because admins are braindead and are not setting up their servers properly, but every big ettv event ends in disaster for me and several people i speak to about it. as soon as the "fight" announcement, it goes back to the loading screen, where the loading bar just flickers endlessly. so after trying to connect early to a long list of servers over and over to be sure i get a slot, and finally getting in, and everything running perfectly smooth during readyup, it just dies as soon as the action starts. this happens all the time.

so, does ettv suck ass, or do admins need educating?

listening to Atlantic Battle 4 on shoutcast isn't the same without the visuals :x

at this point i'm going to give up on trying to watch matches on ettv. it's much less frustrating to just download demos.

fyi, i have a pure, seperate installation of et which i use solely for watching (or trying to watch) ettv.

/whine
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
zinx

Post by zinx »

Ask other people trying to watch the same ETTV broadcasts if they're having the trouble. Try playing on a normal ET server with your "pure" installation. Try connecting to ETTV servers with the same install you play with. ETTV servers really should be pure anyway, so you shouldn't end up using pk3s the server doesn't have. If they aren't, complain.. ET doesn't work well at all with pure set to 0, reguardless of whether it's ETTV or not.
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
deej

Re: ettv blows

Post by deej »

ouroboro wrote:as soon as the "fight" announcement, it goes back to the loading screen, where the loading bar just flickers endlessly.
That's jitter. We had it happen a few times when experimenting with hubs & chained broadcasters. It's usually beyond the control of the admins. IIRC ETTV crew is working on that issue.

From my experience and experiments I can say that setting up ETTV hubs can be tricky and you need to take care of "all" parameters like PK3s & especially noob game server admins.

Setting up a delayed broadcast where you yourself record & broadcast is easy. Setting up a hub is relatively easy too. Connecting a broadcaster to a hub is a bit lotto today but this will improve.

It would be handy for admins to be able to use more robust connections between the hubs and the broadcasting slaves but I guess this would mean switching to TCP instead of UDP and that is probably a huge endeavour if not impossible.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

I've seen servers where the loading bar jumps up and down and the loading never finishes, but nobody seems to be able to connect to those (misconfigured?) servers. Never heard of anyone getting disconnected at "fight" before though.

Yesterday (after finally getting a slot) I saw a server go bonkers, suddenly giving everyone "illegible server message". Restarting ET and reconnecting did not help, I got the same message again as soon as it finished loading the map. :(
daita

Post by daita »

Most of the hub or broadcaster admins are on this forum, so if you can give IP of the ETTV server you get those problem, we can manage to help you :)

If you missed the Atlantic Battle, we can also re-broadcast it, just ask !

daita.