ettv scaling discussion

Forum for discussing ET TV

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

bani
Site Admin

ettv scaling discussion

Post by bani »

Q: 50 viewers takes X cpu, so 100 viewers will take X*2 cpu.
A: False.

This is why 64 players does not take 2x the cpu of 32 players. It takes far more.

Explanation: If ET were an O(n) problem, the assumption that 100 viewers takes double the CPU of 50 viewers would be true. However ET is more like an O(n^1.5) problem. This is due to inefficiencies in the way the Q3 was designed, which causes ET to 'thrash' L1 and L2 cpu caches and become heavily bound by main memory bandwidth. Work is in progress to fix these inefficiencies which will have benefits for large servers as well as ettv servers.
arni

Post by arni »

thanks for coming up with a good explanation why things are the way they are ;-)
deej

Post by deej »

I have a question on this. Instead of hosting 1 100 slot server would it be possible to host 2 50 slots and allow redirecting between those two servers?

What I mean is: our ETTV runs on ettv.fragland.org:27960. Now I would run a second one on 27961 and when the first one is full redirect clients to the second one with sv_fullmsg. Would this work?
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

deej wrote:I have a question on this. Instead of hosting 1 100 slot server would it be possible to host 2 50 slots and allow redirecting between those two servers?

What I mean is: our ETTV runs on ettv.fragland.org:27960. Now I would run a second one on 27961 and when the first one is full redirect clients to the second one with sv_fullmsg. Would this work?
omg-or-run-50-x-2-person-servers-haha-WIN -_-

I'm guessing it would work fine, but would 2x50-player servers use more memory than 1x100-player server? ( even if that's not a bottleneck, it probably sure would be for 100x1-player ;o )
arni

Post by arni »

for me, beeing viewer and ettv admin in one person i must say:

i just like larger servers, you meet more people you know and i just dont like beeing on a small ettv server without people to "omg/rofl/nub" about the game :p

so i like servers 100+ slots and my cpu just manages 150 slots with b6 - thats nice.
Fusen

Post by Fusen »

you must be one of the few then that actually likes spectators, fair enough its interesting to see other peoples views, but not when those views come from the average 11 year old ET player who is just spamming shit
________
300D
Last edited by Fusen on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dersaidin

Post by Dersaidin »

I sure hope bani has given some huge input in development of the Q4 engine.

ETPro has some very very awesome stuff like it's antilag.

Bani + Q4 for the win.
arni

Post by arni »

OT:

antilag is a nice thing, but i think it still favours lagging players - i have no way to proove this or any evidence its my personal feeling

BTT:

Yes i do care about my viewers ;-)