r_ati_fsaa_samples cvar violation on ETTV servers

Forum for discussing ET TV

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Valiz

r_ati_fsaa_samples cvar violation on ETTV servers

Post by Valiz »

I'm getting this cvar violation almost every time I'm on a ETTV server. The console text is something like "cvar violation: r_ati_fsaa_samples [1] should be EQ [0]". And after that I get "r_ati_fsaa_samples: valid values 1,2,4 resetting to 1". After that comes the cvar violation again, and after that... well you get the point :) I had really nasty surprise first time i had this problem, because I had cvar backups on. Result was something like 2000 backup files before I realized to turn it off...

This is really affecting my fps; without this I have semistable 43, and when the error occurs it's 10-40, mostly around 20. I have tried setting the cvar to 0 and to different values in my config, doesn't help. For some reason I can fix this on toFour ETTV servers by vid_restarting once or twice, on other servers (usually I'm on a cs3r server) nothing helps.

I'm using the latest version of 12" iBook (1.33 GHz processor, ATI 9550 graphics card, 1 gig of memory), so is this a bug in the Mac version of ET? Or is there something I can do to fix this?
Dersaidin

Post by Dersaidin »

Looks like its being forced to different values by the ETPro.config and then PB, or ET
arni

Post by arni »

server admins:

just turn off pb on ettv servers - there is no real use ...
Valiz

Post by Valiz »

I don't think that this is a PB issue, if it was, I would get kicked from the server for cvar violation. It could be misconfigured server config, but I don't understand how vid_restart could fix it occasionally. And if server config had forcecvar r_ati_fsaa_samples EQ 0, then everyone on the server would get the same spam on the console as I do, but I have heard only one other viewer complaining about this.

Hope someone can give some insights on this issue.
Dersaidin

Post by Dersaidin »

I'd guess that everyone but that second person already has r_ati_fsaa_samples set to 0, I do.

Like I said, theres two sperate things (ETPro and another) forcing different values on the same thing. And each time it changes teh other forces it's value again. Arni is right, no need for PB on ETTV.
Valiz

Post by Valiz »

Like I said in my first post, in my config is

Code: Select all

seta r_ati_fsaa_samples 0
Makes no difference. I tried also setting it to 1, 2 and 4.

I think that Clanbase is forcing this to 0 (might have something to do with the MSN messenger wallhack), so this might be a reason why so many ETTV servers are forcing this in their configs. And yes, this seems to give no problems to most players / viewers. My problem seems to be that my ET client doesn't accept 0 for a valid value for this cvar, and so it's constantly resetting it to 1.

I would like to know if anybody else is having the same problem, and if any fix for this exists. Or is this a problem specific to Mac version of ET and ATI graphics card?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

it's a bug in ettv, it's sending cvar limits to spectators.
Valiz

Post by Valiz »

OK thanks. What about the valid values (0 not being included) part of my first post, because that's really the source of my problems? Without my client resetting the value to 1 I would get the forcecvar command once from the ETTV server, and that would be the end of story.
zinx

Post by zinx »

It's an extremely retarded cvar limit; r_*_fsaa_samples is not even used in Linux/win32. It is used in the Mac port, and it *must* be 1, 2, or 4 for the ati var. Please tell the idiots that run the server to remove the limit, or limit it to something that's valid. For what it's worth, 1 means 1 sample, which means disable multisample. But it's not fixing anything. It doesn't even do anything on win32/linux.
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
Valiz

Post by Valiz »

Thank you very much Zinx! I had the feeling that this was somehow connected to Mac version of ET, really nice to get confirmation for this. Seems that I represent the 0.05 % of ETTV viewers using OS X...

If possible, you (ETTV team) might consider writing an example config for ETTV servers, or somebody should make an article in the Documentation section.