compensating for unbalanced teams

Request/discuss new banimod features here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

spoon

compensating for unbalanced teams

Post by spoon »

I was just wondering what folks thought of a feature that would change the amount of limbo time for each team depending on how many people were on each team. I've seen a few cases where there's a seriously unbalanced team (4-to-1, and the 1 is on defense) and despite the folks at a disadvantage putting up a valiant effort, they inevitably lose because they hit a bad spawn time.

A feature that adjusted the amount of time in limbo based on the number of people playing might help the situation. Something like:

1 player = 5 seconds respawn
2 = 15 seconds
3 = 20 seconds
4-6 = 30 seconds
7-12 = 45 seconds
13+ = 1 minute

So if it's 7 on 2, the 2 at least have a fighting chance of getting guerilla tactics to work and the 7 can't rely on shere numbers alone.

I'm not sure if it's even technically feasible, but it should help to level the playing a field a little bit and offer just a tad more comfort than the obligatory, "CTFU, shoot straight, and do your best till help arrives". :-)
RedNeck

Post by RedNeck »

There is no need for that. bani automaticlly balances teams. so uneven teams dont last for very long.
If you dont want some then dont start some!
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

its an intersting idea though, it would allow games with unbalanced teams to continue uninterrupted if people didnt want to change sides.
Badhabit

Post by Badhabit »

bani wrote:its an intersting idea though, it would allow games with unbalanced teams to continue uninterrupted if people didnt want to change sides.
Or give them a fighting chance until the teams are auto-balanced.
{Zer0}'s House of Torment 67.19.67.118:27960
{Zer0}'s RTCW server 67.19.67.119:27960
Now Lets Go Kick Some ASS
And thats an Order.
spoon

Post by spoon »

Exactly (in regards to allowing ppl to keep playing if they don't want to switch sides). As a player, I don't really mind unbalanced games... except for the spawn dilema. As an admin, I don't mind getting rid of folks who are obviously trying to cause problems, but I'm loathe to force players to be courteous to each other.

What's good about this option is that you don't have to force a balance, and it's not really changing up the dynamics of the game (ie, if you die, you still have a price to pay by having to wait for a respawn) nor is it tipping the balance in one side's favor (like my initial thought was to suggest a health or damage modifier).

Looking at the wolf source, though, I can't imagine how you could implement a way to set up a sliding scale like this cleanly.

Maybe if you took the imbalance, turned it into a percentage, and then just deducted that from the standard spawn times it'd be enough. Like:

Axis = 10 players
Allies = 4 players

Both have respawn times of 30 seconds.

Since Allies are at 40% the strength, they get 40% of the spawn time. So they're back in the game at 12 seconds while the Axis stays at 30. Then all the sudden one of the Allies decides to switch sides and it becomes 11 to 3 (Alies are now down to 27%)... Axis stays at 30, and Allies would drop to 8 seconds. And so on.

Basing it on a percentage would get reduce the config problem down to just setting one cvar (although it's probably not going to help the dude in a 1 vs. 63 fight too much ;-) ).
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

well sound cool