techy question

Any discussions that are non-rtcw/et related go here.

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

gotenks

techy question

Post by gotenks »

ok... just want to know how many bytes are in a cluster? my computer has been spending the last 45 mins trying to retrieve information from clusters(100,000 - 450,000)... i have a 40GB HD partitioned into a 30GB HD... and the 30 is the dos partition till i can get my xp and call maxtor for warranty on my hd... but i want to know aprx how long i'll have to wait before i can install windows
edit: sorry wrong term... allocation units not clusters
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

I'm not a techy, but I don't think there is a fixed answer to your question. Maybe this will help, it is from the document linked below:

The cluster size is determined primarily by the size of the disk volume: generally speaking, larger volumes use larger cluster sizes. For hard disk volumes, each cluster ranges in size from 4 sectors (2,048 bytes) to 64 sectors (32,768 bytes). In some situations 128-sector clusters may be used (65,536 bytes per cluster). Floppy disks use much smaller clusters, and in some cases use a cluster of size of just 1 sector. The sectors in a cluster are continuous, so each cluster is a continuous block of space on the disk.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/clu ... ers-c.html

Good luck
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i knew i seen that somewhere... lol but it says allocation units not clusters
My Website
Ph0g

Post by Ph0g »

Depends what file system you are using and how big the partition is. The smaller the cluster size the better, but the bigger the partition, the bigger your cluster size will be.

If you want to find out, just make a blank text document. Right click it and choose properties. The amount next to "Size on disk: " is your clustersize. *all* files take up a definite amount of clusters. So if your cluster size is 8K, and you have a 9K file, it will be forced to take up 2 clusters. This means that even though it's a 9K file, it will actually take up 16K. That's why smaller clusters are better.

I use NTFS, I don't know what XP defaults to, probably FAT32.
I am Ph0g, you are not.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

1 i said allocation unit NOT cluster
2 Win XP uses NTFS... i have to backdate to ME till i can find my xp disk again
3 40GB HD was partitioned to 30GB partition
My Website
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

It doesn't matter how much is in an allocation unit. Just finish running your silly Scandisk and get over it.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
Ph0g

Post by Ph0g »

Gotenks, asking a question and then putting EDIT : Blah at the bottom is against the fucking law.

People like me don't care about all the bullshit under the question :P.

And yes, allocation unit = irrelevant. Just estimate by how long it's been running and how much more there is to go.
I am Ph0g, you are not.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

well i left it running over night (11:00 - 7:30 and it was still trying to retrieve dat from the allocation units... it started at 199,xxx and was up to 499,xxx when i got up :cry: i'm just gonna call maxtor and get them to replace it
My Website
SwERvE

Post by SwERvE »

Yup...if scandisk has trouble running it is usually from destroyed sectors and/or a bad controller.