how smart are you? eh? (math question)

Any discussions that are non-rtcw/et related go here.

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Imbroglio

how smart are you? eh? (math question)

Post by Imbroglio »

alright, i just wanted to put up this question because we were going over similar questions in my discrete probability class today, and i was wondering if ppl on this forum are as smart as they may seem....

this really did happen, but Nessa if you write to me and don't want your name as the example i'll be happy to oblige, anyways

Vindictive and Nessa get into an arguement and decide the only way to see who is better is to play 1v1. They play the best of 3 matches. Given that the better player usually wins, say 3/4 of the time, and that Vindictive wins the match, what is the probability that Vindictive is the better player?

Also, if Vindictive wins the match what is the probablility that Nessa will complain about lag?

Answer and work will be posted next week.

vind, if you don't want your name in here, tough shit, cause i'll kick your ass when i see you this weekend, lol 8)
Till DEATH do us Part
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

Not enough information? Though truly the best player, if he is a lot better than the other, should techinically win all the time, So, in that case, the person who won is the better player. Now, there are always other factors, such as lag and whatnot which can upset the validity of the argument. Now, as for the probability that the person who won is better, no one cares, doing actual work is a waste of time, and for all purposes the person who won all the time is the better player, and that the person who lost whined about lag.

(As some may notice, there was no mention of probability. That's nice and I don't care.)
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
Imbroglio

Post by Imbroglio »

WeblionX wrote:That's nice and I don't care.
ah yeah, the absent-minded "nobody gives a fuck", i way too cool to do this shit, response, there's always one :wink:

oh yeah, and 1 more thing, i actually gave more info than needed... another display of true intelligence :?
Till DEATH do us Part
JEXLIN

Post by JEXLIN »

Umm the Answer is 3/4 right?
Imbroglio

Post by Imbroglio »

just think about it, it'd have to be greater than 3/4, because the probability that the higher skilled player wins one game is 3/4, so if they play best 2 out of 3, then the probability that the higher skilled player wins would have to be greater than 3/4, just as a hint
Till DEATH do us Part
Lizzard

Post by Lizzard »

when i think about this question..it get a headache..that give u any idea how smart i am?
:wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :) :o
[asf]Lizzard
www.American-Special-Forces.com
DrunkenHoboG4ng: explains the overflowing river of gheyness
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

it's 50%
the next game could go to you or to him... if it goes to player1, player1 is the better player if it goes to player2 they're equil
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Old Buzzard

Post by Old Buzzard »

Let's see, Vindictive is a shit and a tker anyway, and Nessa is a whiner. I know the answer, server admin boots them both!!!
Why am I here? Oh yeah, where's the bathroom!

http://agingm.proboards34.com/index.cgi
JEXLIN

Post by JEXLIN »

Umm dude, You only said Vindictive won one match.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

gotenks wrote:it's 50%
the next game could go to you or to him... if it goes to player1, player1 is the better player if it goes to player2 they're equil
oh and btw this is a bad example since it's based on 3/4 of the time... cause person 1 could win the first 4 games and person2 could win the next 12...
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Imbroglio

Post by Imbroglio »

JEXLIN wrote:You only said Vindictive won one match.
I said Vindictive won THE match, meaning overall.

if they play the best 2 of 3, you have to take into account that vindictive could have won the first two and have won the match in 2 games, or vind won the first, then nessa won the second then vind won the 3rd, or nessa won the first, then vind won the next two, all of these senarios come into play here

and gotenks, the 3/4 of the time is thrown in there, because the best player doesn't ALWAYS win, and 3/4 popped into my head, if you want we could say that the better player will win 19/20, if you feel suite, its just a number that represents that the best player won't ALWAYS win, as with what you are saying yes, the probability that the better player wins will definately increase with the number of games they play, if i cared an ounce more about this i'd show you how much the probability increases along with the number of games played, but 2 out of 3 sounded good for a 1v1, cause who is gonna want to sit there beyond 12 games especially if they got beat 9 times outta 12? this is why we are determining the probability that vind is the better player because he won the match, because yes, it will never be 1, there is always the probability that nessa is the better player and yet he still lost overall

as for buzzard, you talk shit, but i think both of these players could take you :lol:
Till DEATH do us Part
vindictive

Post by vindictive »

first off, i dont care about my name being used, cause i won ;)

and second off, why u talkin shit about me buzzard? i have never even heard of you. that says a lot about your skill to me when i dont even recognize you. and if i did tk you, it was probably an accident, unless you tk'ed me first :?

keep talkin. skills back up my mouth. whats behind yours? :?:
RammStein

Post by RammStein »

Food. :lol:
Majikthise

Post by Majikthise »

Do you guys need a ruler to measure your penises?

1 on 1 matches determine little about how good a player is; it displays even less about how good a player is to a clan.
Radeon9.8kpunk

Post by Radeon9.8kpunk »

9/16
im probly wrong, i am only taking geometry now