Surge Soda, What happened to it?

Any discussions that are non-rtcw/et related go here.

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

lethaldosage

Surge Soda, What happened to it?

Post by lethaldosage »

I loved Surge soda, now it is gone. There are many rumors floating around the internet as to the origin of SURGE.The idea was to replace Coke's faltering Mello Yello brand and to combat Pepsi's Mountain Dew.

The criteria was to make a citrus soda that was high in energy and easy to drink. So in late 1994 the project began. During the next few months this new drink was formulated and reformulated until the taste testers had narrowed it down to just two formulas.

At the same time Coke was looking for a milder citrus drink and they found it in the discarded 2nd SURGE formula, this second formula was stripped of its caffeine and marketed under the name Citra. Citra was a relatively fair starter ( 21 million cases in year one) but after a few years of growth it outsold even its older brother SURGE.

I have no crystal ball but I don't see SURGE disappearing from the picture completely and as we have seen with Mello Yello, Coke has no problem reintroducing products after many years.
ZarkingFardwarks

Post by ZarkingFardwarks »

that shit WAS good... i didn't know they stopped making it since it wasn't easily available around my area to begin with.

-zf
Ph0g

Post by Ph0g »

Yea i thought about that a couple weeks ago, I never cared for surge much but I did notice it's disappearance.

Btw lethal, why don't you just make one topic called "Lethals Random Shit" and post everything there :D.
I am Ph0g, you are not.
[MoD]Ender

Post by [MoD]Ender »

7up has a new one out now that is green and color, caffeinated, and tastes like surge. Go try it out.
=SWAT=Ender
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

dnL isn't too bad, but it makes me thirsty.. .
(note dnL is the cafinated 7up and it's 7up upside down)
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
-[x]- Surge

Post by -[x]- Surge »

don't forget me i'm not a softdrink but i'm surge :D lol
Please visit our site it has a brand new look

http://www.x-clansoldiers.com/

please visit and join our forums if you want to stop by and hang out.
GanjMahal

Post by GanjMahal »

I really liked Suge when it came out, and drank it for a couple years, but then I realized: Christ, this stuff is fucking green.. thats why i dont really like dnL or Mountain Dew that much either.

I guess I lost my taste for Surge, and now I dont really give two shits that it's gone. Besides, I'm a Pepsi Man anyway, any product that Coke makes and fails at is music to my ears.
"I sure wish women would stop fucking with my head and get around to the rest of me."
[TNT]Frylock

Post by [TNT]Frylock »

Coke is nasty, Pepsi is worse.

Drink milk, it does a body good!
When life hands you lemons, throw them back.
GanjMahal

Post by GanjMahal »

Nah, Pepsi is fantastic :D
"I sure wish women would stop fucking with my head and get around to the rest of me."
[TNT]Frylock

Post by [TNT]Frylock »

Speaking of soft drink flops, whatever happened to clear Pepsi??? :wink:
GanjMahal

Post by GanjMahal »

clear pepsi was pulled less than a year after it was released. I never had it, but I hear it was horrible. I suspect the same fate is in store for Pepsi Blue
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

Well, guess what. Coke makes Orange Soda (Bought out Minute Maid, I think) and, get ready.. WATER!!!! And it tastes like shit. Just like the water from my school's tap.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
ZarkingFardwarks

Post by ZarkingFardwarks »

BLUE PEPSI IS AWFUL :?

i bought a 20oz of it once just to try it. i passed it to one of my friends and said "man this is sick, take it if you want"... he hated it too. it seems to appeal to young kids though, so who knows, maybe that will be enough to sustain it longer than crystal pepsi.

-zf
[TNT]Frylock

Post by [TNT]Frylock »

those kids will drink anything to get a sugar high...back in my day we had kool aid cherry flavor, thats it!
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

Man, if you want good, get a can of surge, and a can of frozen pink lemonade. Mix. ;) That stuff was TEH SHIT back in elementary school. ;)