high pingers at et - are they really harder to hit?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

biggy

high pingers at et - are they really harder to hit?

Post by biggy »

hey,
Me and my clan when playing outside our country recieve high pings (100-140) and @ et always get complaints about it (laggers, hard to hit blabla) & strangely enough its usually after we win.
we DO NOT lag as we just ping high and i would like to know if these complaints are really based on something in the game itself which makes high pingers 'harder to hit'.
This way we cannot get the respect we deserve and after playing with double pings the opposite clan ends up whining which is pretty fucked up to me and i would really like to know once and for all if its true - are high pingers (not laggers) really harder to hit?

An answer from bani or from other guys who know their way around et and can base their answer on something real and not just suspections will be highly aprecciated, thanks.
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

they're not any harder to hit than a low pinging player. unless your ping is over 250 you won't be hard to hit.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

duke'ku wrote:they're not any harder to hit than a low pinging player. unless your ping is over 250 you won't be hard to hit.
actually the high ping usually makes it harder for you to hit otherpeople... when you have really bad ping you hit the ground alot more
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
biggy

Post by biggy »

gotenks wrote: actually the high ping usually makes it harder for you to hit otherpeople... when you have really bad ping you hit the ground alot more
i am not talking about high pingers having trouble to hit correctly cuz its obvious that high ping makes it harder for you to hit, i am talking about people who complain that people who ping high are harder to hit than ppl that ping low.
Frop

Post by Frop »

Dunno, warping makes you a lot harder to hit. But is warping a direct result of a high ping?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

warping is because of lag spikes, that makes you harder to hit
My Website
Frop

Post by Frop »

gotenks wrote:warping is because of lag spikes, that makes you harder to hit
So...

high ping = lagging = warping = hard to hit ?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

no... lag is when your connection stalls... eg when you have >1s ping
My Website
biggy

Post by biggy »

ok....really hard to get a clear answer from what you guys are saying...wating for bani's response ;]
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

ok in simplest terms possible:
pings less than 240 have N0 EFFECT on shooting or being shot at
pings over 240 make it harder to shoot but not being shot at
warping caused by lag (999 pings) makes it harder to be hit, but also very uncontrolable
My Website
zinx

Post by zinx »

High ping alone won't make you harder to hit -- what makes you harder to hit is when your ping temporarily increases, or when you drop a few packets. Unfortunately you can't tell when you're dropping command packets with the lag-o-meter because it only shows packets dropped from the server.

etpro 2.1.1x has some anti-warping-player stuff, and it will make it very apparent when you'd be warping to them (you'll get snapped to where the server predicted you at when you drop a few packets in a row)
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

what zinx said.
biggy

Post by biggy »

hmm ok, so what are the causes to the packet dropping thingy? and how can i know if i drop packets , is there any way?

do high pingers drop more packets than low pingers?

and how come its called 'anti-warping' when it makes you warp to the other players? can you explain a bit more about that?

and one last thing, when you say warping you mean serius noticable warping or like small warping that isnt really visible but still makes it harder to hit?

I know i asked A LOT of questions but its really important to all of us high pingers and we would like to either solve our ' lagging' probs or prove that the other clans just whine when they get beaten by high pingers.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

if you get beaten by a high pinger then you suck.

its harder for a high pinger to kill you than it is for you to kill them. your client is more likely to have an accurate representation of the world than they are.
Last edited by bani on Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frop

Post by Frop »

biggy wrote:and how come its called 'anti-warping' when it makes you warp to the other players? can you explain a bit more about that?

I know i asked A LOT of questions but its really important to all of us high pingers and we would like to either solve our ' lagging' probs or prove that the other clans just whine when they get beaten by high pingers.
I think he meant that you will know when you are warping in 2.1, whereas you might not have noticed it in earlier versions.

Some clans might still think they lost because of your high pings, regardless of the outcome of this discussion. :cry:

I'm curious though about the lag-o-meter... could it be possible for the meter to show client-side dropped packets too? Is there some piece of software which enables you to monitor your connection like the lag-o-meter does?