low fps since etpro 3.0.0 & 3.0.1

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Frankie

Post by Frankie »

aaaah great, thanks!
jump3r

Post by jump3r »

Hey, I have absolutely same problem! Before etpro 3.x.x, i had in railgun on one place over 20fps on 800x600 - 1280x1024 and on allies spawn 75fps. now I have on alli spawn 35fps and on one place 15 (800x600, more is unplayable slide-show). Is it normal? ... I'm feeling very sad from this. :curse: Now I can't play normal. thx 4 this... :evil:
ToeD

Post by ToeD »

i have noticed fps drop too, i used to get a steady 76 almost everywhere, but since the newer etpro versions it has dropped to about 50.

(CPU) 1-AMD Athlon™ XP 2800+, 2079MHz, 512KB (0% Load)
(RAM) usage: 282/1024MB (27.54%)
(GFX) RADEON 9600 XT
(Display) 1152x864/32bit/100Hz
(OS) Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 1 (5.1 - 2600)
(HDDs) 109GB/186GB(59%) free

some help would be appriciated
jump3r

Post by jump3r »

hmm, normally I played RTCW (no ET) on 1024x768 very fast, then ET main 800x600... but quick! Now etpro 800x600 and veeery slooow. :(

cpu: Intel Celeron 900@1000MHz (coppermine)
ram: 128+256MB SDRAM PC133 (running on 100)
gfx: Axle GeForce2 MX 400 / 32MB SDRAM
hdd: 20GB Western Digital 7200rpm ATA100
monitor: HP D2836 Ultra VGA 1280 (ext. low emiss.)

connection: 256kb "without cable" (but ping is good 50-70)
(rate 25000; snaps 40; cl_timenudge default; cl_maxpackets default; cl_packetdup default)

os: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP2 (5.0; 2195)
windows sett.: 1024x768 32bit colors
wolf. et sett.: 800x600 16bit colors

drivers:
DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
nVIDIA Detonators 6.13.10.3082 (best 4 my gfx)
defragga

Post by defragga »

I've a P4 3,0GHz, ati radeon 9800pro and 1024 DDR 400MHz ram ... and et pro feels very very unsmooth in infights ...
com_maxfps is set to 90 ... but in some cases it drops down to 60 o_O (just in 6on6 ...) but I think thats usual oO
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

defragga wrote:I've a P4 3,0GHz, ati radeon 9800pro and 1024 DDR 400MHz ram ... and et pro feels very very unsmooth in infights ...
com_maxfps is set to 90 ... but in some cases it drops down to 60 o_O (just in 6on6 ...) but I think thats usual oO
of course it is normal that your fps drop when there is a large fight but... for example on goldrush at the axis spawn: when there are let's say... 6 allies on the bridge and 6 axis near their spawn shooting at each other plus 1 or 2 airstrikes -> my pc -> without etpro 3.x.x: 30 fps, maybe even lower
with etpro: kinda lucky if it doesn't drop below ~22 :(
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

looks like this problem is very common. shouldn't it be considered when setting up the rules for all the leagues?!?
Wikkit

Post by Wikkit »

Ok, I did a short timedemo on goldrush, and ended up with:

ETPro 3.0.1: 1629 frames, 16.1 seconds, 101.3 fps
ETMain: 1671 frames, 16.0 seconds, 104.4 fps.

ETMain demo on ETMain and ETPro: 104.8 fps and 103.6 fps respectively.

System specs: P4@2GHz, 512MB DDR, GeForce3 Ti200, Win XP HE

Not a significant difference to be sure, and perhaps it's completely within the margin of error.
However I have experienced a significant performance drop as of late, but I can't say for sure it's related to the new ETPro version as I play around on alot of servers. Some being ETPro and some ETMain, settings being different etc. I'm old, I can't remember how the game played on all different servers. ;)

I have, however, noted a real fps drop in the open area on the allies side of tank barrier 2 on goldrush, as well as when charging up to the assault ramp on battery. Perhaps a few more places, but none come to mind right now. I use com_maxfps 43, and prior to recently the fps never dipped below that value.

I have also noted that the location dependent lagometer spike is back. Two places: just as you as turn left after passing tank barrier 2 to run across the bridge on goldrush and on fueldump when you turn the corner in the short tunnel leading up to the north path towards the allied command post. I never noticed these spikes in ETPro (though frequently in ETMain) until the new version.

Another thing while I'm at it. I've noticed that running an FTP server and having lots of connections severly degrades the graphic performance of my system. If I have, say, 5 connections to the FTP and try to watch a movie at the same time, the movie plays extremely jerky and skips alot of frames.
The reason I'm mentioning it is of course because I wonder if there is a relation between connection and graphics system performance? There is an fps drop at the open area at tank barrier 2 as it is (map design related) and could a possible network/code issue cause the fps to dip below the cap value?

Oh well. This might be completely off in every aspect, but I thought I'd mention it nevertheless. :)

Cheers
Last edited by Wikkit on Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-= I'm so hip I'm having difficulties seeing over my pelvis =-<br>
Ex-Galactic President Zaphod Beeblebrox
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Note that ET absolutely LOVES fucking up your config. So the FPS changes might be caused by some cvars getting reset.

I suggest setting all your rendering related cvars from your autoexec. Put an autoexec in your etpro folder, and start et with +fs_game etpro (All seeing eye does this for you when you connect to an etpro server)

Also, be sure you have a batch file or something that defeats et crash detection by deleting all the .pid files.

Posting real timedemo results as wikkit did will also likely be far more helpful than just system specs.
send lawyers, guns and money
[FF]Adam

Post by [FF]Adam »

i have a
P4 2.8 HT
1.5 gig Corsair XMS
80 gig OS/160 gig storage (which ET is loaded on the storage drive)
9800 XT (with the latest 4.4 Catalyst Drivers)
4 mbit connection
linksys nic
2 dvd burners
1 dvd rom

now, running ET i'm only using about 40 % cpu.......

now, for my ET settings

Resolution : 1152*864
Color Depth : 32 bit
Fullscreen : No
Geometric Detail : High
Texture Detail : High
Texture Quality : High
Texture Filter : Trilinear
Detail Textures : Yes
Depth Buffer : 24 bit
Compress Textures : Yes
Sync Every Frame : Yes
Dynamic Lights : Enabled (multipass)
GL Extensions : Enabled

if you have anywhere near my system, change your setting to this, try playin in a window (alt + enter).........and make sure you have the latest drivers for your card....the new catalyst for ATI, and the new Forceware drivers for the Nvidia series........oh, and set your com_maxfps "0"

i have a Geforce 5900 too, and it gets pretty close to the same fps as my ATI.........i'd say all you guys need to update your drivers, that is what it sounds like to me
www.thefunnyfarm.net

130:13:82:5:27960
tFF original 4 map
Wikkit

Post by Wikkit »

[FF]Adam wrote:...
Quite frankly, if you'd experience drops with a rig like that you should take it back to the person who sold it to you and ask for your money back. :wink:

On the same note as my previous post.

I did some looking around and it seems like the issue I've been getting is more server than client related. Played on two different servers (don't know the specs) with the same ET Pro version installed and an equal amount of players connected. On one I got the fps drops and on the other I didn't. I know that one difference between them is the server max rate setting. The non-problematic server had a much higher setting. Would an insufficient server connection/bandwith or malconfiguration be able to cause the fps drops? Insufficient hardware?
Could the new ET Pro version in any way require increased system resources (hardware, connection, etc) to run on the same performance level as previous mod versions?
It would be interesting to know since I could pass info on to the server admin.

Cheers :)
-= I'm so hip I'm having difficulties seeing over my pelvis =-<br>
Ex-Galactic President Zaphod Beeblebrox
[FF]Adam

Post by [FF]Adam »

i got faster with 3.x

but i still think the drivers are the biggest problem here.........when was on the old ATI drivers, before catalyst, i wouldn't get more than 90.......but now, with the 4.4 catalyst, it doubled my fps........also, i went from 512 ram to 1.5.....and that helped alot too........i'm hoping to go to 4 gig here within a month

check your drivers first

ur not gonna get a huge noticeable difference server side, it's more likely something on your rig..........
I have, however, noted a real fps drop in the open area on the allies side of tank barrier 2 on goldrush, as well as when charging up to the assault ramp on battery
the reason for this is all the shapes your system "draws", and how far you can see..........look at how much you can actually "see" in those places....take for example on the hill across from the dump....you can see ALOT of stuff (trees, walls, barbed wire) and you can see the whole way across, also there is alot of light (whites)........then go into say...temple_final.....notice that your fps is 60% better because of the dark atmosphere, and the shorter distance you can see (inside the temple)..........higher number of polygons=low fps.....no polygons (a wall) = high fps.....

hope that helps, that's what i was learned anyway
www.thefunnyfarm.net

130:13:82:5:27960
tFF original 4 map
daemord

Post by daemord »

i will say i personally have noticed an FPS drop in open areas to previous ET Pro, and all my cvars are set up in an autoexec, which seems to be random wether it decides to run or not, because of this i regularly manually exec it when i enter a game, so its fair to say my cvars are the same from 1 run to another run be it ET Main shrub or pro, and im also going from server that was running ET Pro 2.0.7 and then to 3.0.1 so same server, and it deffo seems jerkier, b4 this thread i just thought it was my PC, now im thinking maybee not.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

[FF]Adam wrote:i'm hoping to go to 4 gig here within a month
32 bit processors and motherboards won't see more than 2 gig of ram
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Deus

Post by Deus »

gotenks wrote:
[FF]Adam wrote:i'm hoping to go to 4 gig here within a month
32 bit processors and motherboards won't see more than 2 gig of ram
http://www.gigabyte.de/MotherBoard/Prod ... 20Pro2.htm (description is in english)
As You see this (my) board is able to handle 3 GB ram with a 32 bit CPU