low fps since etpro 3.0.0 & 3.0.1

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

it's disk access from windows filesystem cache.
christa

Post by christa »

SoL i couldnt see it on my demos either
Bubbu

Post by Bubbu »

iam just wondering...with the new et-pro did the recoil change aswell???
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

no
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

bani wrote:it's disk access from windows filesystem cache.
Otherwise known as the dreaded 'buy more RAM' syndrome :|.

PS: RAM prices are about to start hiking up with Micron selling out - buy NOW, or prepare to wait a long time before they come back down again. ( it sucks, but that's the RAM market for ya... )
Bubbu

Post by Bubbu »

btw with the new et-pro i ment et-pro 3.XXXX....
christa

Post by christa »

pls explain that for a noob like me...what does it mean?
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

christa wrote:
Read my post. You need more RAM.
christa

Post by christa »

KingJackaL wrote:
christa wrote:
Read my post. You need more RAM.
512mb RAM and hyperthreading should be more than enough to play ET imo!
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

Yes and no. It depends what else is running at the same time, how fragmented swap space is etc.

For example, just before you open ET - how much RAM do you have free? 400MB? 300MB? less?
SoL

Post by SoL »

I have 512mb RD Ram with a 3.06ghz processor, i make sure to close mose unecessary processes while playing ET and i have com_hunkmegs set to 352, i think i have enough Ram to play ET right? It's not like i'm trying to play on 256mb, also...i didn't have this lag problem with etmain, shrubet etc, and older versions of ETpro, my paranoid suspicion is that it's to do with this "antiwarp" feature in the latest ETpro.
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

SoL wrote:I have 512mb RD Ram with a 3.06ghz processor, i make sure to close mose unecessary processes while playing ET and i have com_hunkmegs set to 352, i think i have enough Ram to play ET right? It's not like i'm trying to play on 256mb, also...i didn't have this lag problem with etmain, shrubet etc, and older versions of ETpro, my paranoid suspicion is that it's to do with this "antiwarp" feature in the latest ETpro.
Drop your com_hunkmegs to 128 or something. The most of that ET will ever use (in my experience) is 6X MB. And most maps see max hunkmegs usage around 4X MB. If you look for a file called hunkusage.dat, it lists the MAX MB's your ET used on each map you've ever played. There's one in each moddir (/etmain, /etpro, etc). Setting hunkmegs too high can actually HURT performance - though that's no guarantee that that's what you've got.

hunkmeg's isn't the only chunk of RAM ET uses. It also uses soundmegs and zonemegs... and I think there's at least one other chunk(s) of memory that ET uses not included in those. Also try raising soundmegs - above in this thread Rain mentioned that that's one chunk that is often paged. I've got 512MB too (XP3200+), and am currently running:
set com_zoneMegs "32" // (Increase scripting MB's)
set com_soundMegs "64" // (Sound MB's greatly increased)
set com_hunkMegs "128" // (Increase texture/etc cache MB's)

Try what I suggested in my earlier post ( it _seemed_ to help me... ). Turn off antilag ( in the etpro menu IIRC ), then turn it back on again after a while. I was getting some low fps in ETPro3 only too, but they've gone away recently. ( was very random and tbh I'm still not 100% sure what it was )
SoL

Post by SoL »

I was told that com_zonemegs and com_soundmegs can't go higher than 32, as in they can be set higher but will still max out at 32, true or not? Also why will allocating less com_hunkmegs fix my problem, surely it would be vice versa? :?

For the record i have sound/zone megs on 32 and hunkmegs on 352.
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

basically you are allocating so much ram to ET, that it pushes other programs out of physical memory and into virtual memory. you don't want to do this
christa

Post by christa »

God hates me...im sure of it!
Finally everything looked perfect...my FPS drops were gone after a reformat etc etc...but NOW ffs i have them again :( FPS drops from 125 to 8 unplayable!

I NEED A KLEENEX PLS :!: