Feature request: cvar to disable alt + enter

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Dersaidin

Feature request: cvar to disable alt + enter

Post by Dersaidin »

I havent found a way to disable Alt + enter, so I dont think it is possibe (without disabling the keys or somthing).

I hate alt + enter to toggle between windowed mode and full screen, because I often do it accidently. My convieniently placed talk key: alt , combined with enter, either after a chat box, or kp_enter for my spawn script, makes changing between windowed modes and fullscreen a huge problem.

Its happened on pubs, its happened in scrims and im lucky sofar that it hasnt happened in a match.

I know some people like it (get a minimizer) but there are many who are just annoyed by it. So I believe that there should be a cvar to enable it. (or possibly to change the keys, eg: both ctrls, right shift and home <_<)

Those who think this is a stupid idea, and I should just avoid hitting it, consider this. Alt is a modifier key, positioned where it can be presses easily. Enter is used heaps for new lines and to enter stuff, so it is in an easy to reach position, BOTH of them are. My binds, like most people's, are centered around easy to use keys. Such as Alt....

Thank you!
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

afaik, it's hardcoded into windows to do this, not ET... and since bani mods for et (generally linux) i don't think it's possible
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Dersaidin

Post by Dersaidin »

Into windows?!?!?! <_<

edit: /me tries alt + enter in WC3:FT with no effect...
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

gotenks wrote:afaik, it's hardcoded into windows to do this, not ET... and since bani mods for et (generally linux) i don't think it's possible
It can be bypassed by applications. However, the low level key handling code is in the engine, not gamecode, so blocking it in etpro would likely require ugly hackery.

There might be third party software that could be used to block or remap it. (I had a similar problem with hitting the 'windows' key by mistake... my solution was to remove the key from the keyboard :P)
send lawyers, guns and money
HeReTiC59

Post by HeReTiC59 »

Isn't their a way to disable "winkeys"? I can't remember but I am pretty sure there is a way.
DG

Post by DG »

IIRC some games are alt+enter while others are alt+tab. I vaguely remember thinking it was alt+enter for opengl, while alt+tab is directx, but probably just coincidence with the games i was playing at the time.

I thought TweakUI had an option to disable winkeys, but i cant see it. Pretty sure there is an option for XP somewhere though.
MeeZ?

Post by MeeZ? »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:There might be third party software that could be used to block or remap it. (I had a similar problem with hitting the 'windows' key by mistake... my solution was to remove the key from the keyboard :P)
In quakeworld we just added the cvar /sys_disablewinkeys :P

then we also made them bindable keys :P

/bind lwinkey
/bind rwinkey

<3 opensource
BAN PRONEDELAY \o/
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

this bugs me to, i look at my stats on alt, then without thinkin walk upto a door and go to open it, heh
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

Then try crouch Steven :)
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

alt to look at stats for me enter to open the door = alt enter= windows the game :\
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
Ragnar_40k

Post by Ragnar_40k »

DG wrote:IIRC some games are alt+enter while others are alt+tab. I vaguely remember thinking it was alt+enter for opengl, while alt+tab is directx, but probably just coincidence with the games i was playing at the time.
With ALT+TAB you switch to the next task (i.e. programm) and with SHIFT+ALT+TAB you cycle backwards through the task list. To accomplish this, usually the current programm will switch from full screen (if it is in fullscreen) to windowed mode.

With ALT+ENTER you toggle between windowed and fullscreen mode.

ALT+TAB should work with all programms, ALT+ENTER usually only functions with programms that support full screen mode, i.e. the console (cmd.exe resp. command.com).

To disable these key combinations I found these two articles on MSDN:
How To Block CTRL+ALT+DEL and ALT+TAB in Windows 95 or Windows 98
How To Disable the Keyboard Windows Key
The Emperor watch over you.
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

Then try crouch to open doors Steven.
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

dA*Rogue wrote:Then try crouch to open doors Steven.
whats the point of crouching when u know there is no1 on the otherside....
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

Then you can still open doors silently, but not minimise ET...but I'm sure your way is better :p
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

i know i should stop being a nub and pressing open whilst looking at my stats.

such a stats player.....
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002