new etpro beta discussion

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

aurellie

Post by aurellie »

bani wrote: The impact on bandwidth is 0.
Yai!!! Me happy now :D
F@TBOY

Post by F@TBOY »

bani wrote:there's already comments on other forums that the hitbox change is going to screw peoples aim up, and that it should be left alone.

as i pointed out, players want the security blanket of what they're familiar with. change scares them.

no doubt people will flame me for a "holier than thou" attitude here, but i think this is a case where players should just take their medicine because it's for their own good.
I personally think this will much improve the overall game play for ALL players, still unaware exactly where to aim. Peeps will just neeed to "Un-learn" their old habits and actually aim for the head.

Great work IMHO, long over-due.....WP Bani and crew
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

how can ppl be opposed to hitbox changes? LOL

what an argument saying u r used to the old ones?

how can u be used to the old ones, when u r meant to fire at the model.

so u r telling us that u shoot just to the right of ppl to get ur kills ;) ^^^ leet
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

so where can we download leaked pirate copies of etpro 3.2 beta :P
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

are there any videos which may spoil the new features to the public?
can't wait to playtest the new version. =)
ET /= RTCW!
[LNA]Gary

Post by [LNA]Gary »

Fixing the hitbox... A dream come true :D (well, won't make me a better aimer but at least I'll only blame myself when I miss the head :P ). Hope the testing will confirm that such a fix is possible.
saebbysorglos

Post by saebbysorglos »

today ive played the testversion 3.1.5 and have seen screens what was changed.
great work @ the whole et-pro team.
saebbysorglos

Post by saebbysorglos »

[quote="bani"]
  • is spawncamping a positive aspect of the game?
  • is this the way the game has to operate? (eg there is no reasonable alternative)

a: its part of the game. there´s tactics for spawnkilling but theres also tactics against.
even its on some maps very hard to work against spawnkilling.

b:i think it depends which map is played.
oasis and goldrush have a bad location for spawning.
its very easy to spawnkilling.
but radar or fueldump its nearly impossible to make spawnkilling.
every clan try to make the map fast as possible.
on some maps the fastest way its to make spawnkilling and then make the objective.

Admin:Bani: please move your post to this thread and delete it from this one.
coda'uk

Post by coda'uk »

yay, b_simpleitems, finally! for a few fps more :)

obviously the hitbox fix is most welcome of all changes, well done chaps. now somebody post a link for this beta so i can put it on my clan server and test :)

would the hitbox fix be optional (from the server config) as using the beta for official clan games may cause people to whine? cheers
meLonF

Post by meLonF »

coda'uk wrote:yay, b_simpleitems, finally! for a few fps more :)

obviously the hitbox fix is most welcome of all changes, well done chaps. now somebody post a link for this beta so i can put it on my clan server and test :)

would the hitbox fix be optional (from the server config) as using the beta for official clan games may cause people to whine? cheers
people will whine if you are using anything but the current approved version of ETpro regardless of the settings - so you will probably have to switch between versions of ET pro (or just borrow someone elses server for clanwars)

i tried playing on Efterlyst the other night which is running the new beta afaik. Head shots seemed to be far easier to land. I think i was getting around 1.5-2 hs per kill in my overall stats, which is much higher than i normally get on good servers. I didn't notice any unusual behaviour but is hard to tell when things are moving so quickly. but so far I have not noticed any problems and overall it feels more accurate.

Bani, is there any chance you could provide some quick instructions on how to setup the server to view the head hitboxes? I think this would be best for people testing, as you can get a better idea visually whats going on with the hitboxes rather than just relying on hit sounds

b_realHead 257
g_smoothclients 0

Is there anything you need to set apart from these two settings?
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

the very nature of a shooter is that you shoot and kill other players. compensating for fucked up game flaws is ALWAYS bad. the crybabies need to all "/bind mouse1 buynow" and stfu.

i want to hit what i shoot at, kthxbye. the etpro team owns my quivvering, thankfull buttocks.

it was either this, or make it so head-hitboxes were visible and the head-models were transparent, effectively creating a new "head" made out of a red cube :)

i like b_realhead better (what a novel idea :roll: )
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
coda'uk

Post by coda'uk »

heh i just installed it on our clan server in a separate port / dir install, it is odd trying to get used to new aim :/ but i kinda like it so far
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

hey coda, can u give out the ip:port? if not, thats cool. i just wanted to try it out sometime :D

at any rate, i know i'm gonna like it even if it takes time to adjust to. the point is to work towards the impossible goal of perfection. this is one step closer to beign "perfect", i.e. being able to shoot at the player model and knowing that if you are a good aim, your shots will hit, just like real life.

altho i suppose IRL u have to account for windage and elevation so you don't aim directly at your target when at long range..

oh well i still like this change :D
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
Nail

Post by Nail »

actually, other than shotguns, you adjust elevation and windage on your sights, therefore you do shoot at target where you want to hit
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Nail wrote:actually, other than shotguns, you adjust elevation and windage on your sights, therefore you do shoot at target where you want to hit
Some of us use 'kentucky windage' :?
send lawyers, guns and money