About stickycharge

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Spark2

About stickycharge

Post by Spark2 »

Hello,

I do believe, that the current stickycharge 1 behavior has a flaw. Because it actually makes it an advantage sometimes to get killed.
The selfkill always avoided this logical problem, because you could decide yourself whether you want to spawn as a fresh soldier every 30/20 seconds or stay in the game. Now with stickycharge 1, it's more advantageous to get killed by the hands of enemies.
For example yesterday when I played against a mate on ET Pro, he killed me with his Panzerfaust but I dropped a grenade before I died. Of course he ran into the grenade and said "thank you". :) I think this shouldn't be, if an enemy kills you in any way, you should not get an advantage because of that.

However, I can also understand why stickycharge is useful, to reduce spam. I'm not convinced that it's necessary, but I support having this option. So what I would like to suggest is not to remove this setting, but to make it more sane, by either:

a) Changing the default to never completely restore the chargebar. In other words, the only way to restore it completely would be to wait the appropriate time. So getting killed would not be an advantage anymore and spam would still be reduced very effectively.

or

b) Adding a new option (e.g. stickycharge 2) which acts like a.

Please consider. :) Small logical flaws like this really itch me, especially when I play a game competitively.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

if you get killed by the enemy, they get XP (and rank up for it), so it balances out really.

we originally had it never restore, but changed it at the request of TWL and CAL.
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

Did they give a reasoning? I'm not happy with this. :cry: Maybe it's balanced, but it's still not logical and feels awkward to me.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

in match play, it put attacking teams at too much a disadvantage. and since most maps are biased toward defense (especially battery), it made things worse.

having it reset when youre killed by the enemy made it balanced.
O2.iceman

Post by O2.iceman »

Yes it's good how it is. It eliminates the exploit of the shrub system where you can get your teammates to kill you just prior to spawn so you get the full chargebar.

Of course people will just end up running into enemy fire just before spawn, but that's there perogative and if they want to risk being in limbo for 28 seconds (if they miss-time it or the enemy wise up to it), and give the enemy the XP of killing him, then I reckon it's fine.
O2.iceman
Oxygen
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

Ok thanks Bani, that's a good point. Although I'll personaly probably would prefer to play with stickycharge 0 now. :) We'll have to see how it goes.
fuego

Post by fuego »

bani: is there a chance that you can make the sticky charge only affect heavy weapons and field ops? Because it makes it unfair for the poor engies that have to wait for their charge bar to come up...
Anthrax

Post by Anthrax »

Hi there,

I am new here so let me start by introducing myself, the name is Barry...I am from South Africa and am head admin for all the ET servers there.

K formalities over, fuego I dont think it is fair to change stickycharge that it only affects heavy weapons and fops. An engineer can abuse it just as much as anyone else the same as a medic with adrennaline can shoot up run out and go rambo then kill himself an repeat what he just did....I use medic as an example as you never included them in your list of classes to exclude.

In all fairness bani has added something to the game that was obviously put there to prevent the abuse of a minor game "call it a bug" you can not now specify which classes arent going to abuse it or not.....you who I assume play engineer might not abuse it, but i can promise you that some other engineer will. So I think it is more PEOPLE specific as it is class specific.......

It was added in as an optional service to try and curb /kill abuse...i dont think it is right to start now say "no but engineers CANT abuse it, exclude them"

Anyway :) my 2cents

Anthrax
fuego

Post by fuego »

Anthrax wrote:Hi there,
K formalities over, fuego I dont think it is fair to change stickycharge that it only affects heavy weapons and fops. An engineer can abuse it just as much as anyone else the same as a medic with adrennaline can shoot up run out and go rambo then kill himself an repeat what he just did....I use medic as an example as you never included them in your list of classes to exclude.
Wtf... If A medic was to be on level adrenalin in a clan match I would be very impressed... and I know there is a lot of rambo meds out there, but it would be stupid move to run out like that and leave there teammates isolated.

There are ways to get around sticky charge anyways ie: by swapping classes around... you are now not only causing teams to play more defensively with this implementation, but also weaking the engineer, whom in my opinion, is the most important class in ET for breaching objectives... Look at it this way... beforehand ppl were risking themselves getting out of position by ramboing to be purposely killed... now all you are doing is making that field ops or Panza or whatever class refrain from doing so (more elaborately CAMPING): which in conclusion means teams will be more conservative with strats (there won't be as much risk taking)... you are suppose to help the offensive team not weaken it... we played with sticky charge bar 2 and it was TOTAL SHIT...

Oh and killing these ramboers would've given the offensive team that valuable damage based XP... now it won't be the case...