55%

Total votes: 114

GanG|Alt3sS

Post by GanG|Alt3sS »

and Sorry for my english I'am French :)
#|GanG| on quakenet.org
cnav

Post by cnav »

Please leave it as it is. This game is not rtcw. I like it because of that. It brings a different feel and sense of strategy. Please bani, don't mess with this. I can hardly believe you'd consider it. I'm a verteran of rtcw for 2 years and started playing et because it was different. Skill levels bring added dimensions. In campaign i think it gets a bit outta hand, but in sw most people never reach lvl 4 anything. Just my opinion and hoping you dont mess with this.
ildon

Post by ildon »

So far no one has refuted iceman's post, which is probably the best one so far because it actually has evidence and experimentation backing it up. One major thing that I think could help would be to get some good offense-oriented 3rd party maps into leagues for stopwatch. Almost all the Splash Damage maps are very defense oriented.

The XP system is what really makes ET stand out from most other games. Yes it's flawed, but that doesn't mean you can't fix it. Remove XP from disabling tanks, adjust the XP levels, etc. and see how it works out. There's no reason to just blanketly remove it without trying to fix it first.
zeke

Post by zeke »

http://www.swertcw.com/default.php?c=download&id=501

Non stop dual artillery. As always on maps like goldrush. Good Game.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

the primary question would be, does the xp system make for good competition stopwatch gameplay.

it is obvious that ET was designed primarily (perhaps even exclusively) for pub campaign gameplay. the map designs reflect it and the XP system underscores it. fueldump, battery anyone? :roll: :roll:

removing XP from stopwatch wouldnt "turn ET into RTCW", no matter how many times it is repeated. rtcw didnt have mines, rifle grenades, mortars, covert ops, mobile mg42, constructibles, or a zillion other things.

watch the video zeke posted. anyone still wants to claim the XP system enriches the ET competition experience and helps make an excellent stopwatch environment? since when does non stop spammage make for added dimensions? i'll have to say you're smoking crack :moo:

one possible solution short of removing XP entirely, would be to have a limited "team ammo" for airstrikes and artillery fire. teams would be forced to use them more strategically rather than constantly spamming them.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

bani wrote:have a limited "team ammo" for airstrikes and artillery fire.
i like that idea...
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Innerva

Post by Innerva »

Bani, did you watch the TWL thread on this?

Pretty much everyone came to the conclusion that if you just lowered or removed xp for destroying tank and made either level 1 heavy weapons take 80% bar, or move the bonus to level 2, there wouldn't be as many problems.

Only maps where spam is a problem are maps with a tank. And panzers only become a problem once they reach level 1.

Change those things, and you don't need to remove the entire xp system.
sib|blue

Post by sib|blue »

How do people come to the conclusion that level 3 signals only is a problem on tank maps anyway?

You get about 7XP out of dumping a full chargebar of ammo (level 1) onto the ground if one of your teammates go into grenade throwing mode. It takes 40 seconds for the field op to get back to a full chargebar. That's about 10xp per minute. You need 70 XP to get from level 1 to level 3. That's seven minutes of dropping ammo, without even abusing suicides.
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

TWL had great difficulty understanding that Stopwatch is the only fair way to play a competitive match. Prior to TWL accepting ET many argued that the game should be played in Campaign mode because "that's how it's meant to be played". Even today TWL still has a Campaign ladder for the ET "purists".

Personally I'd like to see TWL / CAL or somebody run an XP-disabled league in parallel, to see what difference it makes, then hopefully the XP enabled leagues will see the benefits and realise there is a viable alternative to playing 3 hour games just to get a 1 - 0 win or 0 - 0 draw.
Innerva

Post by Innerva »

sib|blue wrote:How do people come to the conclusion that level 3 signals only is a problem on tank maps anyway?

You get about 7XP out of dumping a full chargebar of ammo (level 1) onto the ground if one of your teammates go into grenade throwing mode. It takes 40 seconds for the field op to get back to a full chargebar. That's about 10xp per minute. You need 70 XP to get from level 1 to level 3. That's seven minutes of dropping ammo, without even abusing suicides.
Because in normal competitive play, the field ops are either using the charge for arty, or they're busy fighting for an objective. In SW, teams can't afford to have one of their field ops do nothing but drop ammo packs.
SHVDKTY (ID)

Post by SHVDKTY (ID) »

Innerva wrote: Only maps where spam is a problem are maps with a tank.
you know as well as I that every map can be exploited by spammers... Battery can be locked down with 2 FO spamming the build box continually. Hell we both have seen matches where 2 FO went from 0 to 4 on that one map.
SHVDKTY (ID)

Post by SHVDKTY (ID) »

Kendle wrote:TWL had great difficulty understanding that Stopwatch is the only fair way to play a competitive match. Prior to TWL accepting ET many argued that the game should be played in Campaign mode because "that's how it's meant to be played". Even today TWL still has a Campaign ladder for the ET "purists".

Personally I'd like to see TWL / CAL or somebody run an XP-disabled league in parallel, to see what difference it makes, then hopefully the XP enabled leagues will see the benefits and realise there is a viable alternative to playing 3 hour games just to get a 1 - 0 win or 0 - 0 draw.

This is a great post. I can't stand playing SW, because I like the XP system, I like the campaigns. There is a league for guys like me its called the campaign Ladder in TWL.

But to play SW there needs to be times set regularly for SW to even have a point. All you people who disagree just seem scared to me. Scared that removing XP may take away the slight advantage that has allowed you to win a few matches. Its funny to see people scared of a level playing field. Oh no not level we can't do that, level playing field that would be like RTCW....Et was not designed to be Level so thats how we must play it. BS if you really love SW then play it how IT was meant to be played...not the watered down version you have been playing. How ET was meant to be played is NOT the issue, its how SW was meant to be played. And taking away the XP system would put ET into the SW mode of play.
Innerva

Post by Innerva »

SHVDKTY (ID) wrote:
Innerva wrote: Only maps where spam is a problem are maps with a tank.
you know as well as I that every map can be exploited by spammers... Battery can be locked down with 2 FO spamming the build box continually. Hell we both have seen matches where 2 FO went from 0 to 4 on that one map.
Battery is broken and that's why there's another thread on ways to fix it :D
{Zer0}Eclipse

Post by {Zer0}Eclipse »

SHVDKTY (ID) wrote:How ET was meant to be played is NOT the issue, its how SW was meant to be played. And taking away the XP system would put ET into the SW mode of play.
Agreeded.
AceAlive

Post by AceAlive »

http://www.wolfenstein.se/index.php?nid=4

this shoul be interesting to all that care about the XP-thing in ET.

it can be seen from the pll that many people want their XP still.

How about turning it off for the PF and limit it to level 1 for the rest ?
that would give the meidics extra ammo and some important abilities to other classes but everything from level 2 onwards is kinda insane spamm imo :P
check out my scripting-tutorials for ET and RTCW @ www.Game-Foundation.com