The problem of mines

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

[deo]jops

Post by [deo]jops »

Pls. all pubbers should leave this thread alone!

Give The allied CvOp either:

(1) instant kill with hs with sniper rifle and BS4

(2) Lv3 from start "calm breathing" and BS4

Smoke grenades should cost 1/2 of the powerbar.
The cloth stealing has no real purpose than opening doors so leave that one alone.
But on Battery, Fueldump, Nachteinbruch, who doesn't play with a Covert Ops? So IMO we shouldn't make this class too generally powerful on maps where it has no real purpose, because then it would certainly be overpowered on maps where it has one.
Well. Oasis is one of the Competetive maps where CvOp has a real purpose. with 10 mines you can block all entrances to get inside the fort. And With atleast 2 axis engr they can keep all 10 mines out for the whole game. The problem is that even when the mines is spotted the CvoP cant aid the attack(in an effective way) more than getting shot at. Goldrush is also a mine hell for the attacking team.

where it's simpler to use somebody to walk on mines and then go after him when it's cleared.

And you loose 1 - 2 guys instant. great tacc. CvOp is needed but he cant assist in the attack in an effective way.

Jops
Clan Deo
Sweden
[LNA]Gary

Post by [LNA]Gary »

[deo]jops wrote:
where it's simpler to use somebody to walk on mines and then go after him when it's cleared.

And you loose 1 - 2 guys instant. great tacc. CvOp is needed but he cant assist in the attack in an effective way.

Jops
Clan Deo
Sweden
Not really, for example at the main door of GR, one guy runs through the door and can blow 3 to 5 mines to the tank before being killed and gibbed by the mines, thus leaving room for other members of the team to reach the tank. I don't see how covert ops could make a better job than that... By staying still at the main door and spotting mines during 4 seconds with his binocular while he's in the line of fire of the defending team ? I highly doubt so...

In Oasis, there are usually 2 mines on the roof near the CP (for example), so if the first guy to go is a medic, he's not even gibbed if he went quickly enough. So, the other guys of your team can just follow and revive him. You lose 0-1 guy by doing that.

If the CO can spot mines faster, no need to do that, and he could (maybe) be a more useful class...
Last edited by [LNA]Gary on Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RammStein

Post by RammStein »

One downside: If a teammate runs over the mines, the enemy team will hear it and instantly put new ones down. (Most of the time)
[LNA]Gary

Post by [LNA]Gary »

Yes Rammmstein, but if it's for taking the tank on GR or the flag on Oasis, it doesn't matter. Either the tank is repaired or the flag taken, either it's not and you have to do the whole attack again anyway. :wink:
[deo]jops

Post by [deo]jops »

The whole point with mines is to assist defending certain key points.

But you dont defend them alone with mines. you "actually" got people there.
so when you sacrifce your guy to take out 2 - 3 mines.
You´re at disadvantage from the start.
And when the rest run in you get moved down by enemy fire or step on another mine or both.

left u got 5 ppl versus 6 ppl.
wich forces all your members to have combined 1.2 in general Effeciency that attack round.

So your attack will only work on teams that is below your skill level. (or in cases you got lucky, but you dont wanna depend on luck right ? )

I like mines coz there part of the game. But the counter measures should be more effective.

Not really, for example at the main door of GR, one guy runs through the door and can blow 3 to 5 mines to the tank before being killed and gibbed by the mines, thus leaving room for other members of the team to reach the tank. I don't see how covert ops could make a better job than that... By staying still at the main door and spotting mines during 4 seconds with his binocular while he's in the line of fire of the defending team ? I highly doubt so...
Well you loose one guy instant. And the rest who runs in will be running trough concentrated enemy fire due your minesweeper have drawn the attention to the main door. Left is some people ready for slaughter. As for now I agree that a CvOp cant get rid of those mines. thats why we need changes for that class.
In Oasis, there are usually 2 mines on the roof near the CP (for example), so if the first guy to go is a medic, he's not even gibbed if he went quickly enough. So, the other members guys of the team can just follow and revive him. You lose 0-1 guy by doing that.
well its useless to plant mines at that spot anyway. If you loose flag those mines will be wasted => less mines for the real defence. Im talking about key points were both people know there is mines but the attacking team can run trough coz there defended with both mines and ppl. Sweep the mines and you have evened out the odds.

Jops
Clan Deo
Sweden
pack

Post by pack »

some nice ideas, especially the reduction of spotting time,

don't put this again in some servervar like b_Spottingtime please :p

more something like
b_competitioncovops 0/1

competitioncov ops could have the three things that kotkis suggested, and maybe remove his ability to steal enemy uniforms than (and thus lose the ability to use one way doors too!).
Last edited by pack on Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-[SomeonE]-

Post by -[SomeonE]- »

RammStein wrote:One downside: If a teammate runs over the mines, the enemy team will hear it and instantly put new ones down. (Most of the time)
it would be preatty stupid for a teammate to do that all alone lol
________
list of penny stocks
Last edited by -[SomeonE]- on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
RammStein

Post by RammStein »

Yes, yes it would... :lol:
[LNA]Gary

Post by [LNA]Gary »

[deo]jops wrote: so when you sacrifce your guy to take out 2 - 3 mines.
You´re at disadvantage from the start.
And when the rest run in you get moved down by enemy fire or step on another mine or both.

left u got 5 ppl versus 6 ppl.
wich forces all your members to have combined 1.2 in general Effeciency that attack round.

So your attack will only work on teams that is below your skill level. (or in cases you got lucky, but you dont wanna depend on luck right ? )
Don't forget that by repairing the tank or taking the flag at the right time, you have now 6 players up and running, some of them with 2 seconds invulnerability... So no need to have 1,2 in efficiency anymore. :wink:

Anyway, it seems we agree on the fact that CO needs some tweaking to be improved. I don't know about his weapons, but I'd sure like it if he could check the mines faster. And I don't think a disguised CO is that useless... He can cause some surprises on Oasis or Radar by opening doors before the wall or main entrance have been blown off, for example. Not a big deal, but it can be useful from time to time.
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

IMO the best thing for the Covert would be to allow him to use the SMG's.
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

make the knife more powerfull (stab=100 damage) anywhere on the body

we'll then have a melee class 8)
Bedrock

Post by Bedrock »

[deo]jops wrote:Pls. all pubbers should leave this thread alone!

?

allied? Only the allied cov ops? wt.. Things are already unbalanced enough.. we don't need to complicate stuff more..

If anything.. make the sniper rifle damage/gib's much like those of rtcw.
[deo]jops

Post by [deo]jops »

Bedrock wrote:
[deo]jops wrote:Pls. all pubbers should leave this thread alone!

?

allied? Only the allied cov ops? wt.. Things are already unbalanced enough.. we don't need to complicate stuff more..

If anything.. make the sniper rifle damage/gib's much like those of rtcw.
Well. the axis sniper can reload and have 2 more bullets in his rifle.
I guess its the historical issue doing its part.
(as i heard the allied sniper rifle could just reload whole clips)
And a sniper for defending team wont do any minesweeping.

So generally the allies attack ,so increase the firepower of the CvOp and increase the mine spotting ability.

Jops
Clan Deo
Sweden
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

Funny thing all the things you mentioned here are already made by me in my mod o_0.

* Advertising restriction *
Bedrock

Post by Bedrock »

I was pretty sure the rifles would get balanced out soon, Seeing this game isn't one of your "realism" games, like .. :? cod :x that the mid clip would be fixed, and so would ammo.. bani? any word on that?