server monitor

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

=FF=im2good4u

server monitor

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i was thinking it dont know if this is posable but .. the idea was that if ppl could connect by a special command whit password they would beable to monitor the servers console

all the stuff the normal server console would report would be send to them

this would work best if if it is disaplyed in the normal clients green console window (but this probely need engine code)
hiro

Post by hiro »

I've seen this done with an irc bot that dumps console entries into an irc channel set up for it.

not sure how as I rarely use irc
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

you could pipe the et server into screen and use screen -r later :)
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

duke'ku wrote:you could pipe the et server into screen and use screen -r later :)
yeah but only works if you have shh or something

i was thiking about those ppl that dont got or need full access to there server but still got full rcon
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

i could probably make an irc bot that does this....

if i'm not mistaken though, i think ASE (all seeing eye) has a remote console that is very similar.

one thing that is annoying as piss is having to include the password every time when you enter a request... i see why, but i think it's a bit dumb
"Common sense isn't very common."
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

even worse you have to register to use ASE server monitor
Herve

Post by Herve »

hiro wrote:I've seen this done with an irc bot that dumps console entries into an irc channel set up for it.
This bot does it:
http://www.gab-clan.org/downloads/rtcw/ ... wnload.php

(Works for RTCW and ET)
Balthazar

Post by Balthazar »

yeah it would be nice to watch over the server as they play sort of like a ref that doesnt take up a spot on your server. I watch mine now but I have to login and play and just stay as a spectator...kind of sucks cause it takes away a spot for someone to play.

Would be nice if someone knew how to get around this so I could spectate without using a slot for gamers.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

Balthazar wrote:yeah it would be nice to watch over the server as they play sort of like a ref that doesnt take up a spot on your server. I watch mine now but I have to login and play and just stay as a spectator...kind of sucks cause it takes away a spot for someone to play.

Would be nice if someone knew how to get around this so I could spectate without using a slot for gamers.
you could log in as a private slot
Balthazar

Post by Balthazar »

if you dont mind me asking how do I set that up so I can do this. Again Im a noob so I like asking questions like this....lol

Thanks for your help!
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i dont know :D i only kow its posable to use private slots for stuff like this but i never used it on the FF servers
SHVDKTY (ID)

Post by SHVDKTY (ID) »

Balthazar wrote:if you dont mind me asking how do I set that up so I can do this. Again Im a noob so I like asking questions like this....lol

Thanks for your help!
If I understand your question correctly you are asking how to set up a private slot access to the server. This is how:

set sv_maxclients "##" //# of players allowed
set sv_privateclients "#" //Number of private slots
set sv_privatepassword "***" // Password for private slot

In The private slots take up some of the max clients so if you specify 24 max clients and 4 private slots then you will have 20 max public players. hope this helps.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

Balthazar wrote:if you dont mind me asking how do I set that up so I can do this. Again Im a noob so I like asking questions like this....lol

Thanks for your help!
/me gets out his microphone and records him reading the README.TXT
Balthazar

Post by Balthazar »

thanks guys, this will help a bit. But it seems I can still only run 16 max clients at a time for some reason and I know I should be able to run a few more. so I will have to cut down the 16 to 15 max player...lol oh well someone will have the advantage here :P
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

... btw, that bot does not make it so that you can remotely control the server in any way, all it does is read the logfile and report what's happening in the channel