/kill nerfing

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

bani
Site Admin

/kill nerfing

Post by bani »

I've implemented the following system in etpro 2.1 to discourage cheesy use of /kill:

Damage you inflict on enemies is tracked. If they /kill themselves right in the middle of a firefight with you, you get awarded XP and a kill based on the weapon used to inflict the damage, and the % of damage you inflicted on that player vs how much was required to kill them (their maxhealth).

It is scaled like this:
>75% = full XP
33% - 75% = 2/3 XP
<33% = ~1/3 XP

If you get killed, you lose your damage credits.
If more than 5 seconds elapses from your last inflicted damage on that player, you lose your damage credit.

Basically this is intended to discourage players who /kill in the middle of a firefight in order to 'cheat the enemy out of XP'.

It doesn't prevent the anyone from using it, but it does take a lot of the incentive away.

if anyone can think of ways to exploit this or explain how it is unfair, please do.
Last edited by bani on Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SwERvE

Post by SwERvE »

This is the best implementation of anti-/killing I have seen proposed so far and damn I hate when people do that. At least now they will have incentive to stop the hari-kari.
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

Sounds good as a disincentive for trying to cheat the opponents out of XP. Perhaps change the time to 3 seconds instead of 5 though - 3 seconds still prevents people /kill'ing on you without being too long.
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

In my experience people don't /kill just to deny their opponent XP, they do it also to preserve their kill/death ratio. To ensure it only gets used for the "proper" purpose (i.e. tactical re-spawn / Class change) you would also need to make /kill count as a death rather than a suicide.
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

In my experience people don't /kill just to deny their opponent XP
In my experience they do - ie. to deny panzer ability to level up, etc.
Majikthise

Post by Majikthise »

There are still lots of people who do it to have a more "impressive" kill/death ratio. I saw some guy with a 48/4 K/D ratio on a server, simply because he would constantly /kill himself to keep from ever getting a kill counted against him. It may seem impressive at first glace, but when you know -why- it's such a high ratio, it's just plain pathetic.

With the new /kill nerfing, ensuring that the /killer recieves a kill against them is just as important as giving XP to the potential killer.
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

dA*Rogue wrote:
In my experience people don't /kill just to deny their opponent XP
In my experience they do - ie. to deny panzer ability to level up, etc.
Sorry, I neglected to highlight the key word in that sentence,

"In my experience people don't /kill JUST to deny their opponent XP"

Of course they do it to deny XP, although I don't see it much personally, but then I play on ETPro Stopwatch servers populated mostly by Clan players, who are more concerned with their K/D ratios than their, or anyone else's, XP. If /kill is nerfed simply to address the XP issue it won't stop people abusing /kill. Bani needs to make /kill count as a death for the person using it (rather than a suicide), and maybe, if full XP is to be awarded to the killer, award him/her a kill as well.
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

Yeah I agree with Kendle.

If you die, you're dead and that's a death imo tbh, the cause of death is unimportant. It would stop people using it for ratio, AND give ratio more meaning as it is then the real representation of kills/deaths
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Excellent fix IMO.

If the K/D ratio bothers you, just mentally add the suicides column of their stats to deaths. :P

Unlike the XP, K/D stats have no real gameplay impact.
send lawyers, guns and money
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:Unlike the XP, K/D stats have no real gameplay impact.
True, but unlike the XP impact, manipulating K/D ratios is the "main" reason people abuse /kill (on Stopwatch / Clan servers). If the object of the exercise is to stop people doing it, just addressing the XP won't achieve it.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Kendle wrote: award him/her a kill as well.
it already does 8)
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

bani wrote:
Kendle wrote: award him/her a kill as well.
it already does 8)
Excellent! And counting a suicide as a death?
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

The only problem with this system ( and it's not easily fixable ) is the panzer /kill issue - players /killing on enemy panzers when they come barreling around a corner with a high pitched wailing sound.

....because panzers rarely if ever do any damage to the /kill'ing player - and the attempted panzer kill is often along a spawn-exit route, so that player normally hasn't recieved any damage from anyone in that life.

People /kill'ing when I'm panzer is just about the only time I've had people /kill on me - so it's a pretty major hole. But like I say, it's not easily fixable... ( predict from movement of every panzer rocket whether it would have killed somebody - and whether they /kill'd just before the panzer would have hit... )
piranha

Post by piranha »

correct me i am wrong but did they implemented in the lastest OSP release for RTCW also a anti kill thing (the only thing they did was count suicide as death)
this is idd true as said above, most people use /kill for better ratio.
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

Can you gain levels with "temporary" XP? That would be a flaw IMO, just spraying into groups of enemies until you have enough XP to reach a new level. =) After all what really counts about the XP are the levels, not the XP themselves.