/kill nerfing

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

Spark2 wrote:Can you gain levels with "temporary" XP? That would be a flaw IMO, just spraying into groups of enemies until you have enough XP to reach a new level. =) After all what really counts about the XP are the levels, not the XP themselves.
what are you talking about?
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

Ah, I see now. For some reason I thought it would apply those XP directly at first.
AceAlive

Post by AceAlive »

count a /kill as a death in the stats...that would be good imo :)
check out my scripting-tutorials for ET and RTCW @ www.Game-Foundation.com
Gamma

Post by Gamma »

I think the fire time should be reduced to 2 seconds.. 5 is a LOT. With it reduced to 2 seconds, award the attacker a kill and the /kill'er a death.

Also, one of the large reasons I and others /kill is because of catching spawn. I can /kill a fraction of a second before spawn and still catch spawn... but if I get killed/panzered, tapping out can take 2 seconds. So if I know I'm in a losing battle with ~3-4 seconds before spawn, I'm going to /kill before I die on purpose.. so I don't get screwed by the system by dieing with 1-2 seconds before spawn and be forced to wait it out another 30 seconds.

This is very noticable with panzers. I can catch a panzer, sending me to complete gibbage 2 seconds before spawn,.. but I still miss the spawn time. This is an incentive to /kill if you watch your spawntime carefully.

Anything that can be done about this?
blaz

Post by blaz »

AceAlive wrote:count a /kill as a death in the stats...that would be good imo :)
I agree. That should be the only thing done.

"Shouldn't this be a BayonET feature?" I don't think anyone gives a shit about their XP in a clan match, as long as their team wins.

As far as osp-wolf 0.9..

- Change: "\kill" now counts as a death in stats

That's all. No awarding half a point for almost killing someone.
Majin

Post by Majin »

Medpacks aren't taken into account? This could give someone full xp for a kill of a guy who is at full HP.

Any instance where that happens its most likely going to be a legit reason for /killing, but the enemy still gets the kill =/

5 seconds is also a very long time! If you hurt someone that much then go away for 5 seconds, I doubt you were going to kill them...
Der Kammisar

Post by Der Kammisar »

Your lucky I'm not making this mod. :twisted:

My solution would be to limit you to, let's say, 3 /kills a map. That should be enough for anyone.

Just my 2¢.
=SWAT=DerKammisar
CrosshairBill

Post by CrosshairBill »

This should really only be a bayonet feature, there's no use for it in a competition mod IMHO.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

its used in competition a lot, and its a bit retarded.
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

All I have to say is the people that do it in Competition are the one;s that are gonna complain about it. I myself see it in match/Scrim alllllll the time. (If ya don't believe me Ill show ya a demo) So if anyone says they don't see it in matches they are wrong....

The only concern people will have is if they want to use it to regroup as a full team. I'm not concerned with it myself and I like the idea
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

Well, I can't really think of any exploits for this, but a few questions do come to mind.

First: If two people are shooting at the same target, the first person inflicts more damage, but the second person lands the last shot prior to the /kill, who gets the kill?

Second: Would this be something that you could turn on and off (i.e. b_KillNerf "1") because this would be a good pub feature, but as far as competition is involved, a /kill to respawn with the rest of the team is not the same as the ever so cheesey /kill in a firefight. With a timelimit of 5 seconds, a person could have 5 seconds left to respawn, taking fire, run away, no longer getting shot and /kill to respawn with his team, and would still give the person shooting him XP.

Third: This still wouldn't stop people from /kill'ing prior to a panzer shot. I know when I'm pubbing, and feeling "cheesy" I'll /kill right before the panzer hits me. In this instance, I would recive no damage from the enemy panzer, and yet gotten away from his shot without giving him XP.

Thats really all that comes to mind. A different sort of "fix" for this would be simmilar to what OSP has implimented, a /kill goes on the stats as a death. Now granted, this wouldn't stop people from /kill'ing, and some people would say "I don't care that I got the death, the other guy didn't get his XP" which is what you're striving to do. Maybe another solution would be for the /kill'er to have a /kill counted as a death, and loss of XP during a firefight. This could stop kill leeches from simply landing the last shot prior to a /kill and would stop XP whores from /kill'ing so much.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Threshold wrote:The only concern people will have is if they want to use it to regroup as a full team.
in which case it wont be a problem anyway. you only get penalized if you /kill in the middle of a firefight.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

NewdeaL wrote:First: If two people are shooting at the same target, the first person inflicts more damage, but the second person lands the last shot prior to the /kill, who gets the kill?
both do. the second person would get less XP for it.
Second: Would this be something that you could turn on and off (i.e. b_KillNerf "1") because this would be a good pub feature, but as far as competition is involved, a /kill to respawn with the rest of the team is not the same as the ever so cheesey /kill in a firefight. With a timelimit of 5 seconds, a person could have 5 seconds left to respawn, taking fire, run away, no longer getting shot and /kill to respawn with his team, and would still give the person shooting him XP.
so it will be 3 seconds then. problem fixed 100%.
Third: This still wouldn't stop people from /kill'ing prior to a panzer shot. I know when I'm pubbing, and feeling "cheesy" I'll /kill right before the panzer hits me. In this instance, I would recive no damage from the enemy panzer, and yet gotten away from his shot without giving him XP.
theres no fix for this and i dont think its a problem like it is with SMGs.
Thats really all that comes to mind. A different sort of "fix" for this would be simmilar to what OSP has implimented, a /kill goes on the stats as a death. Now granted, this wouldn't stop people from /kill'ing, and some people would say "I don't care that I got the death, the other guy didn't get his XP" which is what you're striving to do. Maybe another solution would be for the /kill'er to have a /kill counted as a death, and loss of XP during a firefight. This could stop kill leeches from simply landing the last shot prior to a /kill and would stop XP whores from /kill'ing so much.
im going to count them as deaths too. so statwhores wont be able to abuse it either.
gL1tch

Post by gL1tch »

/kill should tally a death

/kill should only reward the last person to inflict damage with xp.
(reason being only 1 person can recieve the xp anyway regardless of who did how much damage pre-mod. Its the killing shot that rewards. Both who did damage will recieve the awarness xp. Its just not logical to award 2 or more players points for 1 kill)

/kill should not improve panzer

/kill should not award points in the last 2 seconds of the spawn timer
Palbin

Post by Palbin »

gL1tch wrote:/kill should tally a death
It does
gL1tch wrote:/kill should only reward the last person to inflict damage with xp.
(reason being only 1 person can recieve the xp anyway regardless of who did how much damage pre-mod. Its the killing shot that rewards. Both who did damage will recieve the awarness xp. Its just not logical to award 2 or more players points for 1 kill)
It still only giving out the points for one kill ex 2/3 player1 and 1/3 player 2 I don't see the problem. Since you really don't know who was going to kill the guy this is the best solution.
gL1tch wrote:ill should not improve panzer
Ah yea it should why should this be any different. This is kind of the point of the whole thing.
gL1tch wrote:ll should not award points in the last 2 seconds of the spawn timer
As for this I agree. I think the timeout for the /kill to give XP to a player could be left at 5 but 3 is good to, but no XP shoudl be given out if the spawn timer is at 2 or lower.
Palbin-OGL
www.metamule.com
OGL Admin ET Campaign & SW Ladder / [url=irc://irc.gamesurge.net/ogl]#OGL[/url] / www.worldogl.com