Freecam binds

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

DarkangelUK

Freecam binds

Post by DarkangelUK »

Hi, ive more or less got the edv demo viewing stuff down pact except for a couple stuff that doesnt seem to be in the example.cfg

1) What is the actual bind to go into free cam mode?
2) Do i have to make seperate binds for movement in freecam mode or can i use my normal movement binds that i use in game?
3) If i have to make new binds, what are the cvars?
4) If i bind demo controls to normal keys such on the qwerty and not on the numpad/F-keys etc, will it cause my demo to stop playing and go back to menu screen like VET?

I'm waiting for the demo fix to be released so i can't view demos yet to test all this. I'd more or less like the config done on time for the release.
fretn

Re: Freecam binds

Post by fretn »

DarkangelUK wrote:Hi, ive more or less got the edv demo viewing stuff down pact except for a couple stuff that doesnt seem to be in the example.cfg

1) What is the actual bind to go into free cam mode?
2) Do i have to make seperate binds for movement in freecam mode or can i use my normal movement binds that i use in game?
3) If i have to make new binds, what are the cvars?
4) If i bind demo controls to normal keys such on the qwerty and not on the numpad/F-keys etc, will it cause my demo to stop playing and go back to menu screen like VET?

I'm waiting for the demo fix to be released so i can't view demos yet to test all this. I'd more or less like the config done on time for the release.
1) /freecam is the cmd
2) you can use your ingame movementkeys
3) most demo stuff cvars start with b_demo_
4) demo won't stop playing

-> set b_predefineddemokeys 0, if you don't want to use the hardcoded keys from the demo menu

other demo commands:

+freecam_turnleft
+freecam_turnright
+freecam_turnup
+freecam_turndown
+freecam_rollleft
+freecam_rollright

use these to turn the camera with your keys instead of the mouse

freecamsetpos
freecamgetpos

sets en retrieves the position of the camera

noclip -> same as ingame

b_demo_lookat <clientnum> -> locks the camera angle on a player

b_demo_teamonlymissilecam -> only attach the camera to missiles from teammates

b_demo_pvshint -> draws a tracer from the camera position to the players (the one who recorded the demo) position
Day by day : http://w.twwwo.be/
DarkangelUK

Post by DarkangelUK »

thanks for the reply. few more things, is rollright and rollleft the same as moving sideways? And the setpos, do you move the cam to where you want to set it, hit the setpos bind, move to a different location, hit the getpos and the cam smoothly moves to the setpos?

Here's the binds i have from RTCW EDV, seems a few things are left out like moveup/down etc

bind KP_INS "+edv_moveup"
bind KP_DEL "+edv_movedown"
bind KP_ENTER "+edv_speed"
bind KP_UPARROW "+edv_moveforward"
bind KP_DOWNARROW "+edv_movebackward"
bind KP_LEFTARROW "+edv_moveleft"
bind KP_RIGHTARROW "+edv_moveright"

Can the moving up and down be done by using the clients own jump and crouch buttons?
shake

Post by shake »

i have a question about the correct way to launch etpro from the command line for the use of demo playback.
i use the following shortcut:

Code: Select all

D&#58;\ET\ET.exe + set fs_game movie +exec movie.cfg
"movie" is just a directory that is a mirror of my etpro directory with "etpro_3_0_0.pk3" being the only pk3. movie.cfg is a cfg file i have setup for movie making settings.

When i run this shortcut it seems to load correctly, except i don't have any of the new etpro3 functions. in the console i just get lots of "unknown cmd b_demo_drawspectatormessages" and unknown commands for a bunch of the new functions.

these are all demos recorded with etpro 2.0.7 and earlier, would that have anything to do with it?

i should add that this method worked will all of the beta versions that were out before etpro3 was released.
fretn

Post by fretn »

shake wrote:i have a question about the correct way to launch etpro from the command line for the use of demo playback.
i use the following shortcut:

Code: Select all

D&#58;\ET\ET.exe + set fs_game movie +exec movie.cfg
"movie" is just a directory that is a mirror of my etpro directory with "etpro_3_0_0.pk3" being the only pk3. movie.cfg is a cfg file i have setup for movie making settings.

When i run this shortcut it seems to load correctly, except i don't have any of the new etpro3 functions. in the console i just get lots of "unknown cmd b_demo_drawspectatormessages" and unknown commands for a bunch of the new functions.

these are all demos recorded with etpro 2.0.7 and earlier, would that have anything to do with it?

i should add that this method worked will all of the beta versions that were out before etpro3 was released.
just copy your movie.cfg into ETPRO dir there's no need to add a 2nd mod

DarkangelUK: most of the rtcw binds won't work, *everything* is changed

setpos... just sets the camera on the coordinates you add, it doesn't move (once scripted camera's should be implemented)
shake

Post by shake »

OK, i fixed the unknown command prob (i needed set b_demo_whatever, i had left the "set" part out), but it seems like some of the new commands don't work.

If i change b_demo_drawspectatormessages from 1 to 0 during demo playback, the weaponcam, freecam, etc labels are always there. Do some of these require a vid_restart to work? if so, which ones?

also: does b_demo_nopitch "0" allow me to use the mouse to rotate my position around the weaponcam or is this for something else?
fretn

Post by fretn »

shake wrote:OK, i fixed the unknown command prob (i needed set b_demo_whatever, i had left the "set" part out), but it seems like some of the new commands don't work.

If i change b_demo_drawspectatormessages from 1 to 0 during demo playback, the weaponcam, freecam, etc labels are always there. Do some of these require a vid_restart to work? if so, which ones?
"set" doesn't solve your problem, it just makes the new cvars, and they are "recognized" but they still won't work, are you running your server in fs_game etpro ?
shake wrote: also: does b_demo_nopitch "0" allow me to use the mouse to rotate my position around the weaponcam or is this for something else?
nopitch is used in the weaponcam while following a grenade, hm difficult to explain it in text, you have to see it ;)
shake

Post by shake »

i was still running it in my alternate directory, but i could tell by the hud and stuff that it WAS running etpro.

i will try running it from my etpro dir.

if that is the case, then why do some of the new functions (b_demo_followxdistance for example) work and some don't?

also: so if nopitch doesn't let you rotate around the weaponcam (i have a feeling i know what it does from waht you said, though i haven't tried it out yet), i take it there is no way to do so like there was in EDV?
Last edited by shake on Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DarkangelUK

Post by DarkangelUK »

Sorry i cant view demos just now as they crash my ET to test this stuff out or i wouldnt even be asking here. I know the RTCW binds are different, but im not quite understanding the ET Pro ones, ill type them out and see if i have it correctly.

You say i can use my own binds to move the camera around in freecam mode. Example if i use WASD to move around, this will also work in freecam mode? If this is the case, why do i need the following cvars..

+freecam_turnleft //turns the camera left
+freecam_turnright //turns the camera right
+freecam_turnup //move the camera up? I dont get the turn part
+freecam_turndown //moves the camera down? Same again here
+freecam_rollleft //roll left? Is this side step left or physical rolling?
+freecam_rollright //same here

can you put an explanation of what these do? As you can see ive tried to guess.

If i could play demos i wouldnt be wasting ur time here :curse:

I figured everything out myself with EDV RTCW version
shake

Post by shake »

^^turning is like mouselook with the keyboard.

your position is staying the same with those commands, your view is rotating. this can be used to make smoother transitions when capturing frames than you can get with the mouse.
DarkangelUK

Post by DarkangelUK »

ahh ok so these are additional binds to be used in conjunction with your own movement to give smoother cam movements? I get it now.
fretn

Post by fretn »

just wait till the patch is released, and everything will explain itselfs ;)
DarkangelUK

Post by DarkangelUK »

What IRC server/channel can i speak to you in fretn? I'd be happy to show you what i have so far of my EDV Movie Making Config. I think i already gave you my RTCW version a long time ago.
shake

Post by shake »

ok, when i run fsgame etpro it just crashes

guess i gotta wait for a patch?