sniper rifle limitation

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

/*Demoman*/

sniper rifle limitation

Post by /*Demoman*/ »

on request of a lot of guys over at ND80's helms deep server... mainly Silicon Slick .. just want to add the request to give the server admins the ability to limit sniper rifles much like shrub did in rtcw

Helms deep is a great map but all the idiots who want to snipe rather than do the objective kills off the server

we've done everything from adding bright neon color uniforms to the covert ops, to making the server auto kicking any covertop... thus making that class completely unused

no one likes to be kicked or told they cant play a class especially when they arent sniping but actually doing other things

the server is popular but because of the number of idiots and the only options we have availible to control the idiots... the server tends to die off

the only seen option to make the masses happy and the server admins happy is to limit the number of sniper rilfes via etpro
Ragnar_40k

Post by Ragnar_40k »

Wouldn't a anti camper function better? So that they have to move, lets say, every 30 seconds? Disabling/limiting the sniper rifle is a bad thing, since it is the best weapon (imho) available for covert ops.
The Emperor watch over you.
Benbo

Post by Benbo »

I agree 100% on that one. Sniper rifles are the bane of a good public server. If i could, i'de limit them to one per team, but then i hate them.

If youve ever played desert temple on a public server you know what i mean.

However ETPro is supposed to be for competition play, so really it has to be justified as useful for competition play.

IMO, i'd much rather see rifle nades "n00b sticks" have a limit on them, i know you can turn them off, but to be able to limit them would be better, they are almost a panzerfaust (if your any good with them) with the added advantage of being a gun too.
xpsave.net - proud sponsors of eeF & sSs - 82.136.22.171:27960
Balthazar

Post by Balthazar »

well I personally love the map myself and I have played on a server where they only allow 2 snipers for each team which is good in a way because it will limit what you are complaining about it does kind of kill the server. I like to snip myself from time to time but not always .

If say the allies did not have a limitation of how many snipers they have on the team then most players will want to be a sniper, the bad thing is it pretty much kills the game for the axis and takes the fun out of the game.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Riflenades are not noobsticks, you just don't know how to dodge them.
Benbo

Post by Benbo »

Defiant wrote:Riflenades are not noobsticks, you just don't know how to dodge them.
the reason i call them "n00b sticks" is that any person whos played ET for 2 mins can get multiple kills without any skill whatsoever using one, unlike an MP40.

They can also be used skillfully, but 9/10 times your killed by someone with little or no idea of ET.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Yes, it is easier to own noobs with the riflenade than with the SMG because they have NO dodging skills. However, if they are a decent player, you'll realize that you'll have to do a bit more than just shoot wherever you want if he'll die. Also bank shots own. I've recently found a good way to stop a tank ownage: rifle nade bank shot.
It's all about dodging. They are quite easy to dodge, you just have to jump and keep moving. That's why many noobs get owned by the riflenade and then complain about it; because they just stand there.
Heimdal

Post by Heimdal »

Rifle nades can be dodged, but you usually get away with a lot less hp than before, I rarely die of the rifle nade if it doesnt take me by surprise. But then they have the gun that does 40 damage per shot, thats when it gets bad...

Killing a guy who is better than you can more easily be done with the rifle nade than SMGs. n00bstick.
Benbo

Post by Benbo »

and whos saying youve seen it. what about all those times youve been killed by a shot in the dark that just HAPPENS to hit you. Ive seen this countless times on maps like oasis, people just blindly fire them in the hope that they will hit something.

I realise you can dodge them, much the same way as you can dodge bullets and panzers if your fast, the point isnt that they are hard to come up against, the point is its easy to get random kills that involve no skill.

How often have you taken some random MP40 shots into a croud without aiming and made them all die.........

How often have you shot your MP40 down an empty lane/corridor and managed to hit someone....

How often have you fired your MP40, the bullets ricochet twice and then hit some unseen camper....

How often have you accidentally fired your MP40 in spawn and wiped out half your team.......

These are all things that your average "n00bstick" public player can do without any thought, experience, skill or aiming.

Im not saying the weapon itself is n00bish, its just that you get a large amount of very unskilled players who manage to do extremely well with what are mostly accidental kills, your DO NOT get this with an SMG
/*Demoman*/

Post by /*Demoman*/ »

OK lamas back on topic.. its about sniper rifles.. not rifle nades k thx buhbye
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

Shots getting 'unseen' campers show lack of respect. If I'm playing with riflenade I sometimes notice a player in a particular spot, spec a teammate and see him, etc. I then proceed to place my shot around a corner, bouncing off a wall etc. and sometimes get a kill. To you, it would perhaps seem random.

<quote>any person whos played ET for 2 mins can get multiple kills without any skill</quote>RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNO.

Back on topic, snipers are indeed the bane of a public server. While ET Pro is a comp mode, it can't hurt to apotions that may improve pub play - ET Pro is certainly on many pubs that I play on.
daemord

Post by daemord »

*off topic*
Rifle nades, they have the power of the panza, use less charge than a panza, and have a decent gun to boot, they also have non of the limitations of a panza, thus if used by a talented player, are just as bad as a panza, panza's are limited, rifle nades arent, there should be a facility, then its up to leagues to decide wether to use it or not

*on topic*
Sniper rifles arent used that much in clan matches, and certainly not OTT, if the enemy has about 6 sniper rifles ur probably not going to win (i would suspect) so following this in a competition i would say dont do it, keep it as it is, as has been said many times before the cov-ops is mainly a redundant class in clan matches ANYWAY, i dont see a need to force a reduction in its ability.
Yes ET Pro is used on publics, but it is a competition mod, the argument has to be made that if people are being gits with it (even if it is ur server) either a) remove them or b) move to a different server, as if you limit them they will probably go elsewhere and anoy someone else anyway, so it wont matter if you do or dont remove or limit them
antman

Post by antman »

daemord wrote:panza's are limited, rifle nades arent, there should be a facility, then its up to leagues to decide wether to use it or not
Rifle nades can be limited too (b_riflegrenades), so it is up to leagues to decide to use them or not.
Prometheus swept down from the heavens bringing the gift of fire.
Wrong move.

antman's etpro stuff
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

AntMan wrote:
daemord wrote:panza's are limited, rifle nades arent, there should be a facility, then its up to leagues to decide wether to use it or not
Rifle nades can be limited too (b_riflegrenades), so it is up to leagues to decide to use them or not.
No, they can be turned on or off - they can't be ( as was said ) limited like panzers. For example, you can't limit a side to 2 rifle grenades ( as of ET Pro 3.0.0 test bugfix 20, at least ).

As for coverts being a useless class, that's an absurd opinion. It is true that they are a weak class, but being able to instantly knock out a command post/ramp/whatever ( stachel charge ) makes them quite usefull in the right situation.

The only reason you would probably think that is if your league is still stuck using the ( very average ) default ET maps in its league. There are plenty of maps in which tournament gaming can see effective use of coverts ( example: frostbite ).
Heimdal

Post by Heimdal »

Ramp cannot be satchelled anymore. So that leaves the Cv ops with the defenses on fuel dump and command posts - but they are very useful on fuel dump IMO for blowing the defenses.