ET turning into CS..?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

APE

Post by APE »

Bani do u have any thoughts about this whole thing?
Right..
MeeZ

Post by MeeZ »

He compared this game with CS.

I kid you not. Hang your head in shame.

STFUKTHX?
Meez
#eat - Quakenet
#necromantia - Quakenet
APE

Post by APE »

oh, ännu en fjortis...verkar finnas endel på det här forumet
Right..
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

i am at a loss for words.....

/me throws ape a quarter, go buy a clue.

)) NewdeaL
V6.Sven

Post by V6.Sven »

You say you get more random hits, the hitbox feels larger and headshots are fubar? On the original 3.0.1 yes...on the new bugfixes: no. I have to say it feels like old etpro 2.0.5 again. I'm gettting accuracy's of 30% and up, while in 3.0.1.0 I was very lucky to get 25-29. Haven't noticed the headshot thing yet, but I guess it works fine. Body and headshots follow the same principal, so if the antilag code works for the body, the head will work as well.
DSky.kotkis

Post by DSky.kotkis »

Did I get more headshots in ETPro 2.0.5? YES, clearly more. I don't know if this was because the hitboxes were fubar in someway or that my quite low ping and high framerate did have something to do with the antilag but that was just the case. Do I think the headshots are more random in ETPro 3.0.1? I think so. I'm not sure what it is but I really think 2.0.5 antilag gave me better hs accuracy, a lot better, and I would like to have it back, but I guess that's impossible. I can take you a few demos if you want to see if anything is still wrong :/
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

@kotkis maybe you'll just have to get familiar with the new situation.
you're playing for dsky, so i guess you're a very experienced player. but parts of your experience, especially the aiming, based on playing with a "broken" antilag, so it's just logical your accurancy decreases while playing with a new antilag you're unfamiliar with.
i noticed myself was getting to have a lower accurancy since playing etpro 3, but meanwhile i got closed to it.
i just guess its harder for the very skilled proplayer to relearn his aiming than for a middleskilled dude like me. keep ya head up. ;)
meLonF

Post by meLonF »

i think part of the difference was the previous antilag code (being less than perfect) gave a large advantage to low-ping players with high frame rates (see bani's explaination of anti-lag only storing a low number of frames for hit detection). This made it easier to low pingers to hit people, and made it harder for high pingers to actually shoot them back.

now the new and improved antilag has 'evened the playing field' to some degree, resulting in the low-pingers having a much smaller advantage in the test fix versions of 3.0.1

this could explain why players with low ping find aiming harder in the newer releases.
DSky.kotkis

Post by DSky.kotkis »

Well yeah it might be just that. I made some demos anyway, the 2.0.7 demo is from a so called not-so-experienced-player server (was the only one I could find with ETPro 2.xx) and the other one is from the most topskilled server in Europe with 3.0.1 bugfix 2. You can find the demos from http://koti.mbnet.fi/ote/antilagtesting/
APE

Post by APE »

The non prediction accuracy as the new etpro brings, sure it's not the same as before...but after playing some my accuracy has increased from previous versions, for about 35-37% to 40-42%, but this is mostly boby hits, my kill/hs ratio is about 40-50 %...while in former versions there would be 150-170%. This is mostly why I bitch, becouse as a more "experienced" player, usaly aim for the head..and with the new code totaly fucks up the aiming(its "impossible" to aim for the head and hit it, for me anyway), and it seems like a 45% accuracy, 35-40% as avarange on the server I play, is the most you can get, Ive never seen anyone with a higher accuracy with that..has anyone else done that?

This it self leads to the fact after a duel u will have like 10 or 20 in health and when it comes a second player you are dead, not like in the old days when you could take out 3-4 ppl without dieing.

If it was possible to fix the head hitbox instead of make the boby hitbox smaller, the gg..but as it is now its impossible to grow as a player, the game has become a team based completley, no more rambo moves allowed.

And about the high vs low pingers, here in sweden and in europe we have really good connections which not sems to be the case in other parts of the world, when I played rtcw active we played over 50 off. games and I never pinged over 70 to all over europe, if it wasnt some crappy german server;)
For the most time is about 50, as most does the others have on the swedish server, Bredbandsbolaget ET#1 (EFTERLYST)|16ms|213.115.128.60:27960 , this is the server to be on in europe it has the highest standard aim/tp and so on. So there isnt that much to even out in europe, atleast not in the more competitive scene. So it hasnt become harder in the way that u describe, iom high pingers shoot back..becouse there is no high pingers anymore, not here anyway.
Right..
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

it's not the difference in ping which screws up etmain antilag, it's difference in fps and cl_maxpackets. if someone has very high fps and high cl_maxpackets, they basically won't be antilagged at all when you shoot at them with etmain antilag.

new antilag is target-fps independent (which may make some players angry if they depend on high fps to make themselves hard to hit by exploiting this bug in antilag).
ocr*chicken

Post by ocr*chicken »

for me only old etpro and new unlagged 2 code feels different, etpro 3.0.1 feels more direct and new unlagged feels that good, i may get same acc or headshots but it feels not as good as old :P

thats maybe because iam not used to that new stuff

are u planning to add that new antilag stuff in future releases bani :O or keep etmain stuff ?
Majikthise

Post by Majikthise »

This could be the worst thread I've seen in a while. Comparing ET to CS? Where's the logic in that? All you did was bitch about your accuracy, and never said a single word about CS.

Judging from your posts, you obviously don't play in a clan. You favor rambo'ing, which is just shy of retarded in clan play. You bitch about only having 10-20 HP after a gunfight... how can you bitch about that? Would you rather have /god set? This mod is for public AND competative play, take that into consideration first.

I think meLonF has pretty much pinned it. The playing field has been evened with people of different pings, and you seem to think that's unfair. I'd like to hear exactly how giving everyone a fair chance is unfair. Now that people can reliably hit you, you're taking more damage, and you're not used to it. Also, of course people are going to have better accuracy. They actually hit things they aim at now, unlike before.

Faith in Humanity, -30 points.
Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad »

bani wrote:it's not the difference in ping which screws up etmain antilag, it's difference in fps and cl_maxpackets. if someone has very high fps and high cl_maxpackets, they basically won't be antilagged at all when you shoot at them with etmain antilag.

new antilag is target-fps independent (which may make some players angry if they depend on high fps to make themselves hard to hit by exploiting this bug in antilag).
I've usually had far more problems hitting a guy using cl_maxpackets 30 and snaps 20, which seems to be all the rage this season.

For some reason the amount of those seem to have increased and they're virtually impossible to hit. 70-80% of shots fired at a crouched guy with those settings seem to just vanish in thin air.

If I had my way, snaps should be forced to 40 and if your connection to a server is so lagged that you can't play with maxpackets above 60, well then that person should have to find another server to play on ;)
DSky.kotkis

Post by DSky.kotkis »

Majikthise wrote:Judging from your [APE's] posts, you obviously don't play in a clan. You favor rambo'ing, which is just shy of retarded in clan play. You bitch about only having 10-20 HP after a gunfight... how can you bitch about that? Would you rather have /god set? This mod is for public AND competative play, take that into consideration first.
You shouldn't judge anyone with as little information as this :) I'm not very aware of what's going up with APE and clan business but I would guess he is one of the best freelancers in Europe at the moment. In RtCW he has probably had more clans than you can imagine (actually I dunno, but I'm just guessing since I quitted RtCW quite a long time ago) and he has been on the top of the RtCW-scene for some time. So in short: he is a good player you're attacking against without no actual reason.

It might be that the post was a bit useless and we could have kept it going on the actual antilag-thread, but now as this has been going for a while we might just continue.

I'm not sure at all how the new antilag works compared to the 2.0.x one and I don't think not too many people know that all together. Maybe it's more precise now, but I'm sticking with APE that sometimes the headshots just feel so random and not many of us like that. It can't be that people with high ping can hit us better, since this happens while I have a change to shoot them in the back too. I can notice this especially on long range where all you do is get body shots. I'm truely sorry that there's no way I could show this to you too and the best thing I can do is to upload few demos if they're for any help.