suggestion: alternative respawn

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

CY-senator

suggestion: alternative respawn

Post by CY-senator »

How about changing the respawn from a fixed moment that can easily be abused by the enemy team (accurately timed arty at the spawn exit, especially annoying wit Lv3 Arty, PF camper...) to a fixed time depending on every individual players death. So an axis player would always spawn again 15 sec after his death and an allied 10 sec.

Pros:
-Spawn killing becomes a lot more difficult
- running through the enemy spawn is now a lot more risky
- /kill becomes a lot less efficient (you cant grab a flag 1 sec before respawn and your team simply /kills)

Cons:
- its a lot harder to coordinate teamwork
- /kill becomes a lot less efficient (you cant grab a flag 1 sec before respawn and your team simply /kills)
Bedrock

Post by Bedrock »

Last time I checked, team game. I don't think this would be good at all. To coordinate your team you would have to stand around outside of spawn or a specified area to wait for your teammates to spawn. Leaving you open to your dreaded PF or lvl3 fops.

This is also for competition, if you don't want lvl3fops whoring your server, then used the included xp level tweaks, same for PF. A soldier with a panzerfaust is not a problem when he can't get to level1. Trust me.

Imo this "feature" would just be too bad and would throw any chance of getting teamwork on a pub, off.
uber-noob

Re: suggestion: alternative respawn

Post by uber-noob »

CY-senator wrote: Pros:
I think this would make it easier, because now a spawnkiller has to face a group of enemys at once. With your idea he can pick em up one by one.
Korollary

Post by Korollary »

uber_noob wrote:
I think this would make it easier, because now a spawnkiller has to face a group of enemys at once. With your idea he can pick em up one by one.
You have obviously never been properly spawn camped. The only thing going for a spawncamper is the exact knowledge of the spawn time and mass-kill weapons such as pf and a/s.

Walk by the enemy spawn without knowing their spawntime, and you're in for a bad surprise. They are going to get you easily since they are invincible for a period and you were not prepared for that.

Today I logged in to suggest precisely what the original poster suggested.

Once your teammates stop spawning simultaneously, spawn camping stops being so effective; you can at most get one or two, but no more 4-man airstrike hits.

This new respawning also gets rid of /kill'ing other than for the purposes of class changes. /kill if you want, and you'll wait 20 seconds in limbo. You can no longer hang around by the objective on defence and /kill to respawn with ammo or full health.

Do you need ammo ? You'll have to find a field ops.
IdNotFound

Post by IdNotFound »

Interesting, but I don't believe it's doable. (is there such word?)

Maybe in the future, after ETPRO fixes most stuff around there and gets a couple new features going on this could get into a cvar you could toggle...
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff
DieZel

Post by DieZel »

- running through the enemy spawn is now a lot more risky
I don't see any of those as pros. I'm not going to touch the /kill effectiveness, because you've put it as both pro and con. I just feel it's more of a con than a pro (Oasis flag is sometimes impossible to secure without the use of /kill).

As for the spawn route safety, I feel you HAVE to be able to run through a spawn safely. Take Goldrush for instance. Once the bank door is blown and Axis has their defense in place, there are only two routes to the bank: through the spawn and through the front yard. Enemy crossfire and arty spam makes the yard impossible to penetrate in high-level play (I've seen WAY too many full holds on GR, most attacks stop after the second tank barrier), and the only possible way is to go through the spawn where the crossfire isn't as effective. Unsafe spawn route would make defending easier, which is bad (more on that soon).

I don't 100% agree with you on the spawnkilling issue, either. I feel that spawnkilling is a skill like any other aspect of the game, and it's mostly used against the defending team (on GR and Oasis at least). If you nerf the ability to spawnkill, you're just making the defense easier which IMO is the exact opposite of what should be done. I love ET, but all those full holds are starting to get to me. A simple 6v6 game can last over two hours when both played maps have double full holds (plus possibly a third map as a tiebreaker, oh-your-god!).

It doesn't happen that often when there is a clear skill difference between clans, but when two evenly skilled teams duke it out, it just gets numbing.

I can't say for sure that this would be a bad idea (I'd have to test in in some matches first), but I don't like the idea of changing the gameplay we're all so very used to by now that radically. I, for example, have two years worth of clan experience from RtCW, and I've been playing ET competetively for almost a year now, and I have NEVER seen spawnkilling as a problem that needs to be fixed. Not even when it's been used against my team.

So if this feature would be put to a vote, mine would be "no".
daemord

Post by daemord »

it helps spawn camping and here is the reason
Yes people stop using mass damage weapons, because the smg is all they need, basicly ur spawning every what 20 on attack on most maps
now say you die at regular 5 second intavals, not difficult for 6 men to gun down 1, in fact id say rather easy, thats 4 men down, so on 2 of them spawns you have 6v2 and on 2 of the spawns 6v1, see why its bad now, if u sit in ur spawn and wait, then there gonna know that in about 5 seconds there is some1 in the spawn and just come in after you, and you will have no chance, no team mates to back you up, nothing, no panza to dodge, no ffe that you MIGHT run through, just 6 smg's pownding on you semi constantly
Heimdal

Post by Heimdal »

Let me get this straight? Are you actually suggesting this for clanmatches?
On many maps actually getting the flag is dependant on timing it just in time before spawn, now this might seem weird on publics, but in clanmatches people are actually organized, and thats why the 6 people running out together will always be a part of clanmatches. If the panzer cant panzer you at spawn he can just wait as the clan gathers up to attack...
meLonF

Post by meLonF »

random spawn times would help the defence to much IMO

on maps like Oasis/Goldrush spawnkilling is almost a must in competition play to set a time on attack. Altering the spawn times you are only gonna help the defence (which means more full holds, which is bad)

have set spawn times also gives the game more structure (i.e. team have to time their attacks etc) and makes the game more tactical and less of a unorganised brawl .... this is a good thing IMO :)

i say no change is needed for competition play :)
IdNotFound

Post by IdNotFound »

Idea: if you really think we need to change spawn, why not think of something like "spawn is 15 + X seconds", where X is a random value por each spawn, from 0 to 5/7/10, not sure what would be effective without ruining the game

Still, don't think we need this... MAYBE a cvar in FUTURE and BUGFREE releases...
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

meLonF wrote:random spawn times would help the defence to much IMO

on maps like Oasis/Goldrush spawnkilling is almost a must in competition play to set a time on attack. Altering the spawn times you are only gonna help the defence (which means more full holds, which is bad)

have set spawn times also gives the game more structure (i.e. team have to time their attacks etc) and makes the game more tactical and less of a unorganised brawl .... this is a good thing IMO :)

i say no change is needed for competition play :)
^^ what he said, can't see this proposal as being relevant, or indeed of any value, to competition play.