Dyno Timer

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

gotenks

Post by gotenks »

squadjot wrote:you already got "dynamite planted ta barrier #1" , personally i would hate to have it centered on screen..

why are people so busy with theese kinds of requests... it smells like..you think u can get a little advantage even more tight by making the mod support it..

same as etpro spawntimer. wtf?.. i cant beleive its actaully in here now..
now u can argument for a dynotimer too ..and OH.. everybody can get aimbot..so why not just use the ingame etpro aimbot..

hitsounds.. ?wtf.. imo for spectators and demo only.. hitsounds gotta go! (if leagues started forcing b_hitsounds 0 , i would cheer, and enjoy the whine of the masses)

...but who cares.. just build teh 1337 dyn0counter..so we can pwn harder!!......not.
they don't need to force hitsounds off... they can turn them off on the server... HOWEVER why not give these things to the people who want them... bani get's league imput before he implements things... some things they want some things they don't, some things are made for practicing and some things are made for just general pubing
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
IFuNIConnor

Post by IFuNIConnor »

and some things are made for just general pubing
errr
is that some kind of defuzzing?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

I run the ET.com game server, we have run etpro since we had a server (I helped set it up)... ETPro should not ignore the desire of the tourni-community, but as long as it doesn't really detriment them, I dont see why pub type things couldnt be implemented as long as it doesn't detriment the game
My Website
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

well, obviously cause peopel cant handle it ... or just dont care if its the one or other feature thats enabled.. the admin just as well think: we'll just do what poepel wants.. and thats where im convinced ..that they dont know whats best for themselves..

I cant help using OSP as an example again... to me it had no fuzziness around it..wich , to me, made it very trustworthy. I felt that the people behind it had a opinion on the competition part of RTCW, and didnt touch the original gameplay much, but was only optimizing for competition/admin use. I heard that hitsounds were added to OSP, but that must have been after my time.

Imo adding hitsounds to etpro was a attempt to make the mod more popular, it maybe infact do that..but imo there was no need for that..

today etpro cant get any more popular, and any dev team should feel satisfied.. but still ..i dont think adding hitsounds was actually necesary move.. noone exspected it..noone requested it.. Bani added them cause he would make it more "interesting"..aka it would "sell" more.. ( tell me im wrong )..

I really apreciate all that etpro offers, and its still the best mod outhere.. but..lets say there were somebody making a really really "clean" competition mod..using the bugfixes known sofar (etpro,chruker, etcetc)..i would play that mod nodoubt! ..no offence..this is just to explain whats its all about for me.. i also realize that many peopel think its even a waste of time to have an opinion on the matter..or just too nerdy to care about.. i jsut want a clean et(pro?)
zinx

Post by zinx »

Just to be clear, my understanding on the hitsounds is that it was *already* possible to tell when you're making contact by looking for tracers (if they're there, you aren't hitting). But not everyone knew/knows about that.
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

zinx wrote:Just to be clear, my understanding on the hitsounds is that it was *already* possible to tell when you're making contact by looking for tracers (if they're there, you aren't hitting). But not everyone knew/knows about that.

far from the same thing... tracers and a sound is not the same.. tracers seems much harder to count..cause u visually have plenty of other matters to tend to..and lol..for a quite long time there was even hitsounds on nades and artillery ..and _nobody_ was even questioning it.. except me..ofc :P

i mean.. its too loose.. and people WILL just play etpro as the way it gets realeased.. without necesarily concidering each setting, and thinking forth and back.."is this good or not".. they'll just do what the others do.. ..and leagues too ..they'll listen to the masses, and there we have it again.. personally i dont think the majority has thought long enough whats best from a perspective thats not only their own...some have..and STILL feels opposite than me..fine ..i dont _exspect_ anything to change.. relly.. but i can still try to debate it.
zinx

Post by zinx »

Well, you just have to keep in mind that this is a game, a way for people to have fun. If the majority of people have more fun with hitsounds, then tough noodles. It is an option, so you can get together a group of friends who like playing without hitsounds, and force it to off :)
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

actually i believe it was requested and turned down, then added later, just like the curse filter (i believe i originally requested that)... things like hitsounds are great for people to practice (hey i'm making headshots, note to self, aim there), etc. I think the elitist stuff would kill etpro, as if it contains things that pubs wouldn't use, most admins wouldn't use it except for tourniments, and since most clan servers run pub when not in comp use...
My Website
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

gotenks wrote:I think the elitist stuff would kill etpro, as if it contains things that pubs wouldn't use, most admins wouldn't use it except for tourniments, and since most clan servers run pub when not in comp use...

:roll:
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

if it didn't contain some of the common pub stuff (who really cares about hitsounds, but there are some things that are disabled and really have no purpose in tourni's) I can't think of many pub servers that would be using it... and since only clans would run it for practice or tourni's you'd probably only see 10-15 servers running it at any time instead of the over 1000 that do
My Website
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

gotenks wrote:if it didn't contain some of the common pub stuff (who really cares about hitsounds, but there are some things that are disabled and really have no purpose in tourni's) I can't think of many pub servers that would be using it... and since only clans would run it for practice or tourni's you'd probably only see 10-15 servers running it at any time instead of the over 1000 that do
public vs. competition.. thats another discussion.. imo majority just likes to play the game that are the "official competition"-mod .. (just as it happened for OSP, wich was naturally my fav mod for RTCW).. and im convinced that etpro without hitsounds would still be as popular as it is today..

DEVELOP it as a comp mod..and the pub will play it.. simple as that.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

I agree, it should be TARGETTED at the competition crew... however it shouldn't ignore other game balances and features that others may find usefull as long as there isn't a massive outcry against it or a detriment to the competition scene... and there have only been a few outcries against most of the pub features, and few have been more then a few elitists who don't want et to turn into <E extends OtherGame>

(sorry some java generic humor there)
My Website
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

yea, dont get me wrong, its not about discrimination towards the pubbers.. i dont care if ure a pubber or comp player..or both..ET is a great game and can be played by most people.. for fun and for competitive satisfaction..

im not talking about banning all features that could slightly favor the public players.. not at all.. i woundt call hitsounds a "pubbers-feature" .. i dunno where the public vs comp came into this.. hitsounds is very much for competitive players..its nice to know where to hit..and IF you hit.. but..i just dont like the fact that it has changed the game.. part of what i dont like is that from the esthetical point of view, hitsounds doesnt suit ET's image. (again a personal opinion)
..second, the gameplay has slightly changed with hitsounds.. as mentioned you can "check" stuff.. u can check on loooong distance if someone is hiding..u jsut need to have the supspicion about it.. u can nail snipers harder.. cause ull know where to aim ..(dont tell me it would have been the same with tracers plz)... as its a sound..its gets more clear to the players how much damage they have given.. wich makes the players make slightly different choices than they would have done without hitsounds.. thats a fact.

now u all can say all that about.."yeah but there was tracers, so same same".. and "you can see headshots by the helmet is falling off.." but..its just not the same.. its true u could notice theese things..and that maybe was what made a really good player.. but thats taken out of the game now.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

squadjot wrote:now u all can say all that about.."yeah but there was tracers, so same same".. and "you can see headshots by the helmet is falling off.." but..its just not the same.. its true u could notice theese things..and that maybe was what made a really good player.. but thats taken out of the game now.
I personally like hitsounds, but i disagree with using the tracers as a reason to implement hitsounds
My Website
bacon

Post by bacon »

squadjot wrote:"you can see headshots by the helmet is falling off.."
The helmet falls off on the first headshot only :roll: