UI Suggestions

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Spark2

UI Suggestions

Post by Spark2 »

I made some minor UI changes to my unreleased mod and now that I'm playing a lot of ET again, I'm missing them. :) So I'd like to suggest them as possible additions to ETPro, making them optional would be fine with me (in case they are controversial). They are all just minor tweaks and are very easy to implement.

1) The warmup text at the middle of the screen can get a little bit annoying when the warmup takes a long time. :) So I moved it to the top and made the font slightly smaller, as can be seen here:
http://213.133.111.182/Temp/etui1.jpg
Once the game starts, the countdown would appear at the center again, making it even more obvious that the game is starting. Me and the testers liked this a lot.

2) I made the background of the health/stamina/charge bars solid black instead of white transparent, because this increases the contrast and I often found it hard to see whether a bar would be completely full (solid white) or completely empty (transparent white) on a glance. This is one of the things I miss the most and I'd love to have an option for it. It looks like this:
http://213.133.111.182/Temp/etui2.jpg
However, this will show that the charge bar doesn't completely fill and that will look ugly. This is because a certain flag isn't set when caling the fillrect function for the chargebar (I forgot which one but you'll probably see it). Adding this flag makes it look better.
I also colored the charge icon green when the bar is full (and airstrikes are available), which is not just somewhat useful but also looks spiffy IMO. It also helps because if the flag is set, the bar will fill a split second too early.

3) For the scoreboard, I want to suggest two things. First, removal of the "lives left" column (the helmet thingy) when no maxlives are set. It makes no sense and only adds clutter. Second, to reserve a fixed column on the left for a status icon, so nicknames are always nicely aligned below each other. Currently in ETPro it shows two icons when a player is dead and ready, but this isn't necessary and the column could simply only show the ready icon when in warmup or intermission state. It would look somewhat like this:
http://213.133.111.182/Temp/etui3.jpg
I found this to improve readability and attractiveness a lot!

4) Last but not least I moved the overheating bar below the crosshair instead of behind the weapon icon. This is extremely useful because it allows to stop shooting at the right moment. It's a bit hard to concentrate on both the enemy and the weapon icon at the same time. :) This it how it looks like:
http://213.133.111.182/Temp/etui4.jpg

That's all, I hope you'll consider those. :)
Last edited by Spark2 on Wed May 19, 2004 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

2,3,4 - VERY nice, I'd definately be keen to see these.

I'm not so sure about 1 though, as it is sometimes people don't notice that 'its not warmup anymore'... this would be significantly worsened by making the warmup message less obvious.
IdNotFound

Post by IdNotFound »

KingJackaL wrote:2,3,4 - VERY nice, I'd definately be keen to see these.

I'm not so sure about 1 though, as it is sometimes people don't notice that 'its not warmup anymore'... this would be significantly worsened by making the warmup message less obvious.
Agreed.
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff
kekkyoku

Post by kekkyoku »

very nice stuff id love to see this in
defragga

Post by defragga »

omfg ... extremly nice, all 4 points, .. I love it :)
I really hope that this will be introduced to et pro too ... n1
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

KingJackaL wrote:2,3,4 - VERY nice, I'd definately be keen to see these.

The obvious solution would be to make that a client setting, with the default centered. Anyone who goes out of their way to adjust it should know. Also, as the OP suggested, the countdown itself could be left in the center.
send lawyers, guns and money
Corpse

Post by Corpse »

Very clean. Well done.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

yeh i like em but

3. the name stuff would still be scewed whit the ready icon (maybe this can be placed the nummer of lives)

4. this might look like someone's health bar sometimes but can be verry handy yes
Deus

Post by Deus »

=FF=im2weak4u wrote: 4. this might look like someone's health bar sometimes but can be verry handy yes
health bar goes from left to right, overheat bar goes from right to left. should not be too hard to distinguish between.

Like the ideas :)
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

=FF=im2weak4u wrote:3. the name stuff would still be scewed whit the ready icon (maybe this can be placed the nummer of lives)
Well, you don't really need medic or death icons in warmup and intermission.
Jinks

Post by Jinks »

Oooh spiffy

Full marks for the charge bar things (dem tweak0rz with gamma 300 will like that)
Sif=RoK=

Post by Sif=RoK= »

i like all of them, f1 to see a client side cvar in the next release :)
DieZel

Post by DieZel »

Very nice, I like them all. Especially the first one, for me the warmup text always gets in the way and it's hard to see the target clearly.

Not much of a warmup if you can't get a feel of the shooting the way it's going to be after the counter reaches zero..

I hadn't really thought about the rest of those before, but now that you mention them they make perfect sense. I'd really like to see them added to etpro.
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

same here, nice job spark...very good ideas, although the scoreboard wouldnt make or break me, the charge bars, warmup, and overheat are awesome ideas, considering the overheat transparency below the xhair is variable.

none the less, awesome ideas, i've felt that way about the charge bars since rtcw

)) NewdeaL
/*Demoman*/

Post by /*Demoman*/ »

I really liked some of those ideas... 2 of which were already implemented into my mod

1. I can not move the warmup letters in my mod due to the top half being used by other things

2. is already included into my mod and will be in the next update though mine is different ... using blue for the charge bar and red for health... when health goes below 50 it will turn orange.. the opossite of how it is in etpro/etmain

3. the scoreboard on mine doesnt get rid of the xp but it does get rid of the helmet when its not a limited live server

4. included into my mod and user can move it or turn it off via cvar or ui

http://home.comcast.net/~dbpryor/overheat_bars.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dbpryor/overheat_bar2.jpg

edit: I did find a place to move the warmup.. I made it smaller and moved it to the top as best as I could

http://home.comcast.net/~dbpryor/warmup.jpg
Last edited by /*Demoman*/ on Thu May 20, 2004 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.