Help!! ATI brightness issue with ET

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

vanhero.com

Help!! ATI brightness issue with ET

Post by vanhero.com »

i have an all in wonder 9800!

every time i get a message on trillian or use the ET minimizer or hit volume on my keyboard or go to the bathroom... i lose my brightness in game. it gets dark as hell. i have to go to system and turn the brightness back up every time.

i have friends with different configurations and have a 9700 radeon and have the same problem.

i have dope ass hardware and this is the only game it does this on!!!

Grrrrr help me out please. i see some really smart people on here!
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

try fooling around with r_ignorehwgamma
mouse

Post by mouse »

nah doesnt work, i use this script:

Code: Select all

// and gamma bind
set videoreset "vstr video_mode1" 
set video_mode1 "r_gamma 1.5; r_ignorehwgamma 0; set videoreset vstr video_mode2" 
set video_mode2 "r_gamma 2; r_ignorehwgamma 0; set videoreset vstr video_mode1" 
bind F9 "vstr videoreset"
after minimizing, maximizing i press 2 times F9 and my gamma is back 2 normal. Just add this too your config / autoexec. g/l!
Cartoon

Post by Cartoon »

I updated ATI drivers and told them that fullscreen opengl/dx should use one gamma, and the desktop another.

had the same problem before I updated drivers.
//Cartoon
//Clan Zolid
vanhero.com

updated at drivers

Post by vanhero.com »

it seem to have fix the issue. sometimes it hints its going to go dark but in a sec goes back to the brightess setting i want. strange but it works.

thanks guys!
coda'uk

Post by coda'uk »

it really pisses me off, some public server admins are utter morons when it comes to creating PB cvar sets...

i have been banned from servers for using things like r_rmse, r_ignorehwgamma, r_mapoverbrightbits, r_overbrightbits, r_intensity and so forth.

even for things like a high snaps value (eg, 999, which forces the server to treat your client as if the value of snaps is set to equal that of sv_fps), or cl_timenudge -20 (purely a clientside value forcing my client to send data to server faster by waiting less for data, at the expence of accuracy of rendition of other players at my end).

this whole config issue is even worse in RTCW, there are very few servers i can actually play on w/o having to compromise on my fps and network settings...
Korollary

Yeah

Post by Korollary »

coda'uk wrote:it really pisses me off, some public server admins are utter morons when it comes to creating PB cvar sets...

i have been banned from servers for using things like r_rmse, r_ignorehwgamma, r_mapoverbrightbits, r_overbrightbits, r_intensity and so forth.

even for things like a high snaps value (eg, 999, which forces the server to treat your client as if the value of snaps is set to equal that of sv_fps), or cl_timenudge -20 (purely a clientside value forcing my client to send data to server faster by waiting less for data, at the expence of accuracy of rendition of other players at my end).

this whole config issue is even worse in RTCW, there are very few servers i can actually play on w/o having to compromise on my fps and network settings...
You should just set your snaps=20 because there is no server that uses sv_fps > 20 (if there are, they should stop using it. refer to Bani's posts on splashdamage forums to see what is broken with sv_fps).

I am not sure about your description of cl_tienudge...

You are right about other cvars , tho. Most server admins set up pb cfg's ages ago and they don't even know what and why they restricted.

If there are any server admins reading this, refer to league cvar limits such as this:
http://www.teamwarfare.com/rules.asp?se ... +League#10
Jinks

Post by Jinks »

Still love getting kicked for r_mapoverbrightbits 1

keke <3
coda'uk

Post by coda'uk »

cl_timenudge tells your client to either 1) wait less, or 2) wait more, before releasing information to be drawn. Remember how the client game needs two sets of information to draw a player accurately? A negative cl_timenudge setting will cause your client to release information earlier, at the expense of accuracy. A positive cl_timenudge setting will cause it to wait more, effectively simulating Internet lag.
When cl_timenudge has a negative value, every non-player entity is simply extrapolated earlier. This is just fine, because these entities only require one set of information for extrapolation anyway, and those entities were going to be processed late because of the “built-in lag.” That means, with a negative cl_timenudge everything you see except players is perfectly accurate – it's just a little earlier than it would be otherwise.

Now, by default, when the player entities are run through the trajectory function (and they will be because the client game will assume they need to be extrapolated), the output origin is the same as the input origin. They'll only move when a new snapshot arrives. That's what makes players look like they're moving at 20 FPS while everything else is smooth.
Doesn't using cl_timenudge make you look jerky to other players? (top)
No, definitely not, in any way, shape, or form. It does not suppress commands, nor does it put inconsistent timestamps in them. (Those are the only two ways in which it could.)

If you perceive it to be so, you are perceiving the effects of something else – probably the “jerky” player's problematic outgoing connection
source for this is a Q3 unlagged mod FAQ: http://www.planetquake.com/alternatefir ... EAWTNDWIIR

what the unlagged mod does for timenudge is to remove the clientside appearance of 'jerkiness of other players' whilst using a negative tn (amongst lots of other changes)

i am not aware of any changes to the network code that affect timenudge but perhaps bani would be kind enough to let us know if this is the case.

as for sv_fps 20, it is a shame that most servers use it, i tend to use 30 on mine and it is much smoother although etpro does whine about it.
Demanufacturer

Post by Demanufacturer »

i have a 9800xt and experience the same problem, however there is a very simple solution

after you load ET back up, hit this bind:

Code: Select all

bind &#91;whatever&#93; "r_gamma 1.1; wait 20; r_gamma 1.5"
Badhabit

Post by Badhabit »

coda'uk wrote:
as for sv_fps 20, it is a shame that most servers use it, i tend to use 30 on mine and it is much smoother although etpro does whine about it.
You might want to read THIS
There is a reason everyone is using sv_fps 20
{Zer0}'s House of Torment 67.19.67.118:27960
{Zer0}'s RTCW server 67.19.67.119:27960
Now Lets Go Kick Some ASS
And thats an Order.
tomacco

Post by tomacco »

I have the same Problem with my 9700. IIRC this gamma-problem started with the 3.8 Catalyst and hasn't been fixed in higher versions. I already contacted ATI and told them about this problem. Hope they will fix this issue soon.
Jinks

Post by Jinks »

tomacco wrote:I have the same Problem with my 9700. IIRC this gamma-problem started with the 3.8 Catalyst and hasn't been fixed in higher versions. I already contacted ATI and told them about this problem. Hope they will fix this issue soon.
Don't hold your breath man.
d3n13d

Post by d3n13d »

i use the 9700 pro and i used to have that... but now i dont, i use the latest drivers, i use ET minimizer in and out and my gamma never darkens, and if it ever does, i just alt-z out and alt-z back in and its fixed

hope it works for you

disable your msn/trillian popups
[NSS+]Subterfuge

Post by [NSS+]Subterfuge »

tomacco wrote:I have the same Problem with my 9700. IIRC this gamma-problem started with the 3.8 Catalyst and hasn't been fixed in higher versions. I already contacted ATI and told them about this problem. Hope they will fix this issue soon.
This problem has been fixed with Omegas latest release!

Sub