Lower rate limit of 7000

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Mouse Nightshirt

Lower rate limit of 7000

Post by Mouse Nightshirt »

I was just wondering why ET Pro 3.0.1 has a lower rate limit of 7000. It effectively rules out all 56k players (I personally run a rate value of 4200).
Mouse Nightshirt

Oh, and before you all say that 56k people cannot play ET, you'd be wrong. I've played ET for quite some time with few major lag issues. 250 may be a big ping to all you broadbanders, but it's perfectly playable.
zinx

Re: Lower rate limit of 7000

Post by zinx »

Mouse Nightshirt wrote:I was just wondering why ET Pro 3.0.1 has a lower rate limit of 7000. It effectively rules out all 56k players (I personally run a rate value of 4200).
It doesn't.
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
Mouse Nightshirt

A lot of the servers I frequent updated, and from then, when I connect, ETPro forces my rate setting to 7000. If I change it back down, it forces is back up again.
zinx

Post by zinx »

Mouse Nightshirt wrote:A lot of the servers I frequent updated, and from then, when I connect, ETPro forces my rate setting to 7000. If I change it back down, it forces is back up again.
This sounds like the administrators of the servers are using sv_cvar to force rate to a certain range. ET Pro itself has no rate limits, except that when you change it it waits 5 seconds to take effect.
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

Yup, it's the admins - NOT etpro.

My etpro server has no lower rate limit enforced. But then, I stalk the etpro guys enough to know that antiwarp means you don't have to worry about low-rate players warping ;).
Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad »

KingJackaL wrote:I stalk the etpro guys enough to know that antiwarp means you don't have to worry about low-rate players warping ;).
They may not visually warp, but players with low rate/maxpaket settings and high pings are pretty damn hard to hit compared to someone with a decent connection and maxpackets 100 / rate 15+k
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

Hypnotoad wrote:
KingJackaL wrote:I stalk the etpro guys enough to know that antiwarp means you don't have to worry about low-rate players warping ;).
They may not visually warp, but players with low rate/maxpaket settings and high pings are pretty damn hard to hit compared to someone with a decent connection and maxpackets 100 / rate 15+k
With etpro 3.0.1 testbugfix1+, or with old 3.0.1? ;)

Remember, the antilag code has changed...
Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad »

KingJackaL wrote:With etpro 3.0.1 testbugfix1+, or with old 3.0.1? ;)

Remember, the antilag code has changed...
With both. 3.0.1 and every testbugfix.

True, it has gotten a little better with the testbugfixes. Especially the fact that it's not entirely impossible to get HS anymore. But it's still remarkably hard to hit someone with 100 ping and/or a poor connection/crappy settings.

With antilag, it's easier for someone with high ping to hit anything at all, but as it's tons harder to hit the high pinger, they actually have an advantage. Not that I would prefer to play with high ping, but still.

Now why on earth is this?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Hypnotoad wrote:True, it has gotten a little better with the testbugfixes. Especially the fact that it's not entirely impossible to get HS anymore. But it's still remarkably hard to hit someone with 100 ping and/or a poor connection/crappy settings.

With antilag, it's easier for someone with high ping to hit anything at all, but as it's tons harder to hit the high pinger, they actually have an advantage. Not that I would prefer to play with high ping, but still.

Now why on earth is this?
it isn't.

antiwarp demo

zinx's ping when testing was 187...
Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad »

bani wrote:
it isn't.

antiwarp demo

zinx's ping when testing was 187...
Alright, so you have one demo.

I have about 150 hours of playtime on 3.0.1 and the latest testbugfixes, and at least a handful of other players in the same condition with exactly the same experience.

Whether you believe it to be or true or not, it is as I've said.

Do with it what you want.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

if you have a demo from a testbugfix5 server with antiwarp enabled, i'd be interested to see it.

demos speak louder than words? 8)
Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad »

bani wrote:if you have a demo from a testbugfix5 server with antiwarp enabled, i'd be interested to see it.

demos speak louder than words? 8)
You're probably right :)

I haven't been recording demos sofar but I guess I'll have to start.

Efterlyst is the only server I play on and it's been upgrading testbugfixes almost as they've been released. It's currently running testbugfix5
daytroxative

Post by daytroxative »

i havent noticed this at all... you can even compare lan 0 ping to a 300 ping and everyones shooting each other just the same in my eyes...