b_pronefix?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

dragon

b_pronefix?

Post by dragon »

Ok, I admit it, Proner's annoy the crap outta me when they prone/stand/prone/stand/prone/stand in 2 seconds in an SMG fight.

What are your thoughts on a cvar to be either A) Unable to fire for x amount of seconds when they prone or B) Unable to stand for x amount of seconds when they prone?

Either of these would fix the problem, whilst allowing prone to remain in the game and be used by all classes.

Yes, I can kill proners to, but it's just damm annoying. Don't flame, just give your reasons for either supporting this idea, or reasons for not supporting it. Bani/Rain, COULD this be implemented?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

yet another post on the topic... lol
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

I've got no problem with prone other than the fact that the animation doesn't "fit" what's really happening.

If the animation were "stand -> crouch -> prone" rather than "stand -> prone" (and "prone -> crouch -> stand" when standing up again) it'd be fine.

Any "fix" other than the animation would be a work-around IMO, and I can't see a majority agreeing with it.
Ham

Post by Ham »

Please fix the prone animation/hitbox or get rid of it!
SwERvE

Post by SwERvE »

Ham wrote:Please fix the prone animation/hitbox or get rid of it!
Definitely listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about. :roll:
ReyalP

Re: b_pronefix?

Post by ReyalP »

dragon wrote:Ok, I admit it, Proner's annoy the crap outta me when they prone/stand/prone/stand/prone/stand in 2 seconds in an SMG fight.

What are your thoughts on a cvar to be either A) Unable to fire for x amount of seconds when they prone or B) Unable to stand for x amount of seconds when they prone?

Either of these would fix the problem, whilst allowing prone to remain in the game and be used by all classes.

Yes, I can kill proners to, but it's just damm annoying. Don't flame, just give your reasons for either supporting this idea, or reasons for not supporting it. Bani/Rain, COULD this be implemented?
I'd rather have a cvar that disables whining about prone :P

Seriously though, having yet another variation of gameplay seems like a bad idea. Either it is broken or it isn't. Note that B) actually exists in ET already. Try to prone and stand instantly... you cannot.

The only change I would like to see (short of actually fixing the hitboxes, which is extremely hard) is forcing the head to stay level with the body, instead of letting it sink into the ground, so this:
would be more like this:
Not only would this get rid of the hiding your head underground thing, it would also match the model better. This could be done by simply clamping the head Z origin so that the bottom never went below the bottom of the body box. (I wouldn't suggest trying to conform to the surface like the leg boxes do, because that would introduce more unpredictability) There would still be instances of uneven surfaces where you could hide your head, but these should be quite rare in practice, and are extremely unlikely to be worse than the current method.

I don't think the above fix should be optional.
send lawyers, guns and money
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Kendle wrote: If the animation were "stand -> crouch -> prone" rather than "stand -> prone" (and "prone -> crouch -> stand" when standing up again) it'd be fine.
The etpro hitbox (unlike etmain) already does that.
dragon

Post by dragon »

If I played with the Hitboxes displayed, it wouldn't be a problem, but I aim for peoples heads when I can. It's annoying when people take advantage of a buggy system. My suggestion(s) would effectively negate the problem. Besides, if it's a variable, admins can decide whether they want it on or not for their competitions.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

dragon wrote:If I played with the Hitboxes displayed, it wouldn't be a problem, but I aim for peoples heads when I can. It's annoying when people take advantage of a buggy system. My suggestion(s) would effectively negate the problem. Besides, if it's a variable, admins can decide whether they want it on or not for their competitions.
Uhhm, if you aim for peoples heads, you are in big trouble, whether they prone or not. Click here for the full story

ImageImageImageImage
Notice in all of the above, hitting the head model wouldn't get a headshot. In two cases, it would be a complete miss.

Perhaps you should add cvars that disable swimming, strafing and dropping packs to your request :shock:

Or perhaps you would like to explain why the above are somehow less of a problem than prone ?
Wabbitz

Post by Wabbitz »

hi scds_reyalp thanks for that post! wow interesting stuff. so since that is the truth about headboxes, it almost makes me want to say lets just turn off the player models and show the boxes instead, hehe. since shooting at the player models is basically pointless, we should just be able to see nice colored boxes to shoot at! what a damn shame tho, too bad this cant be fixed. but doom 3 is out in 2 weeks and that engine suposedly has perfect hit detection so i guess soon old quake engine games will die... :(

but seriously, can there be some way to remove the head model and redraw it whereever the headbox happens to be? this would make it look like decapitated models and be pretty silly looking but hey at least we can see where to shhot.

also was it like this in wolfenstein?
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:
Kendle wrote: If the animation were "stand -> crouch -> prone" rather than "stand -> prone" (and "prone -> crouch -> stand" when standing up again) it'd be fine.
The etpro hitbox (unlike etmain) already does that.
Yeah, it'd just be nice if the animation did as well.
T-Rex

Re: b_pronefix?

Post by T-Rex »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:
dragon wrote:Ok, I admit it, Proner's annoy the crap outta me when they prone/stand/prone/stand/prone/stand in 2 seconds in an SMG fight.

I'd rather have a cvar that disables whining about prone :P

Seriously though, having yet another variation of gameplay seems like a bad idea. Either it is broken or it isn't. Note that B) actually exists in ET already. Try to prone and stand instantly... you cannot.

The only change I would like to see (short of actually fixing the hitboxes, which is extremely hard) is forcing the head to stay level with the body, instead of letting it sink into the ground, so this:
would be more like this:
Not only would this get rid of the hiding your head underground thing, it would also match the model better. This could be done by simply clamping the head Z origin so that the bottom never went below the bottom of the body box. (I wouldn't suggest trying to conform to the surface like the leg boxes do, because that would introduce more unpredictability) There would still be instances of uneven surfaces where you could hide your head, but these should be quite rare in practice, and are extremely unlikely to be worse than the current method.

I don't think the above fix should be optional.
What you are saying would be to make the game more unreal. The one when he has his head down is when he prone crawls (can't shoot so he was his head down for protection). I don't know if it affects damage too much (helmet reduces first hs) it might in might not. Just my humble op.
dragon

Post by dragon »

SCDS_reyalP, sure, aiming at their heads at anything more than a close distance will miss due to the Hitbox, however due to the spread of the bullets in ET, you still get headshots. Be that as it may, it still doesn't address my request.

What would be wrong with a 2 second block on firing when you go prone or stand from prone?

It'd stop all the "Whinging" about proners, and would imho improve gameplay..
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

Kendle wrote:I've got no problem with prone other than the fact that the animation doesn't "fit" what's really happening.

If the animation were "stand -> crouch -> prone" rather than "stand -> prone" (and "prone -> crouch -> stand" when standing up again) it'd be fine.

Any "fix" other than the animation would be a work-around IMO, and I can't see a majority agreeing with it.
ur just a nub that gos prone tho kendle :P

o and i agree 2 second block on firing, this would cut out all the abuse straight away, ppl would still be able to use prone mode for whatever reason.

the only problem i can see is if ur going prone to revive/ defuse / plant etc, then ppl wouldnt be able to do that for 2 seconds, and if u made it so only weaponbank 3 couldnt fire for 2 secs, would u not be able to go prone with say ur knife out and then quickly flip back all with ur prone bound like:

/bind x +prone;weaponbank1;weaponbank3

u know what i mean :P

o and i agree with reyal_ip, all those hitboxes r problems, but at the end of the day they r not exactly being abused anymore by an individual, everyone has the same problem.

the main problem comes when u try and get a headshot on sum1 who is prone, and u have got to guess where to shoot :S
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

dragon wrote:SCDS_reyalP, sure, aiming at their heads at anything more than a close distance will miss due to the Hitbox, however due to the spread of the bullets in ET, you still get headshots. Be that as it may, it still doesn't address my request.

What would be wrong with a 2 second block on firing when you go prone or stand from prone?

It'd stop all the "Whinging" about proners, and would imho improve gameplay..
It will make prone go from 90% useless to 99% useless, solving a "problem" which, as far as I can tell, is based on peoples dislike for aiming down a few degrees. Reducing the number of viable tactics because of that strikes me as pretty silly.

I could equally argue that I find people who strafe back and forth rapidly annoying. Having no spread for strafing, but spread for turning gives an unfair advantage to 'strafer lamers'. The strafe hitboxes are buggy too. So I propose that you shouldn't be able to fire until 2 seconds after strafing :P

If prone were some magic that won the firefight every time, I would agree that it is unbalanced, but that doesn't seem to be the case. You yourself claim that you can kill them, so why is it a problem ? Since the hitboxes are broken for other stances too, it seems like your only argument is that it annoys you...

@Wabbitz
RTCW is about the same, minus prone, of course.