Per Class settings for Stickycharge 2

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

toe++

Per Class settings for Stickycharge 2

Post by toe++ »

Would it be possible to request Per Class Stickycharge settings in a future release of ETPro?

It's my understanding that Stickycharge 2 was implemented in an effort to stop players from allowing themselves to be intentionally killed close to their spawn time so that they respawn with full charge.

I believe this was primarily aimed at Field Ops and Panzers. The setting works extremely well and pretty much achieves the desired result of limiting this type of play.

However, it has introduced a potentially unwanted side effect in that offensive engineers are also subject to the same stickycharge. On certain maps where the distance from Spawn to Engineer Objective is short (battery, supply, etc), this potentially limits an engineers ability to achieve their objective if they are killed close to spawn after depleting their charge.

I understand that any code change is non trivial, but if this is achievable I think it would benefit gameplay and result in improved times.

Any thoughts on whether this would be a viable options? Any thoughts on the potential pros and cons of implementing this?

thanks in advance!

P.S. First time poster, long time lurker. Just a quick thanks to Bani, Rain and the ETPro crew for a great mod.
fuego

Post by fuego »

Well thought out toe... I seriously think that something needs to be altered... sticky charging individual classes would be far better option... Poor engies shouldn't be weakend... we all know how difficult being an engi is already... but having sticky charge 2 just makes there lives a whole lot more difficult...

We are suppose to encourage time setting... not thwart it...

F1 to sticky charging individual classes... (please tell me that this is possible :D )

PS: Super job on the 3.1 ET pro Bani, Rain and associates... very professionally done... big ups...
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i think a bitwise option would be good
0 = etmain
1 = sticky through /kills
2 = sticky through team/self kills
4 = sticky through all kills
8 = sticky within same class
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
DG

Post by DG »

^ problem with that though is it just further adds to confusion for players, too much variation with the basics from server to server. It's the principle reason I disliked shrub.

I'd rather just 0= no sticky, 1 = sticky regardless of death (i.e. same as current b_stickycharge 2); or preferably simply leave as is. I wouldnt even mind if the only setting was equvalent to the current b_stickycharge 2.

I've never noticed charge being a problem for building ramp on battery, though in fairness maybe thats because i tend to be engi only on campaigns, where there's the XP effect. I'm not sure it'd be any real problem anyway, simply adds to the risk the engi is already taking and enhances the importance of player's experience, intelligence and knowledge of the state of the game.

If anything was to be done about it though, i'd rather simple exclude engis from b_stickycharge 1/2, though this means engi can exploit it for mines and rifle 'nades.
MeeZ

Post by MeeZ »

I really hate stickycharge 2... Stupid feature imho..
Meez
#eat - Quakenet
#necromantia - Quakenet
hiro

Post by hiro »

sorry to dredge up this old thread but I didn't want to start another one and the topic was never addressed any further.

For our league (GameArena season 4) we would like to use stickycharge 2 on soldiers (read panzers) and fieldops, while having stickycharge 1 for engineers and other classes. We'd be keen to see an option in a future version of etpro, either as further values to b_stickycharge or as a bitwise option as suggested by gotenks.

I'm well aware that the etpro team has far more important bug related things to work on, but if after that's all done (;)) and you have any time to add additional gameplay stuff, please consider this if you feel it deserves the time.

thanks,
-hiro