Dear Bani

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

LoZz

Dear Bani

Post by LoZz »

This is a message to bani and the et pro team.

I’ve seen some ideas for changes to golrush I’ve also seen some ideas to change oasis ( one gun only needs to be destroyed)

Usual you come up with good ideas, i.e. removing grass on radar, but now i think you are going to far. STOP! These ideas are not being made logically they are just being made to make et-tv more interesting, you will ruin the hole competitive play to the game and turn oasis into another lotto map like radar.

I beg you keep them as ideas and don’t try to implement them or at lest go around and ask clans and post in all the community forums instead of just going on the views of people who post in the one (this) forum, which makes up about 5% of the ET community, many people I’ve spoken to are not happy with your latest ideas for changes. Full holds are a good thing not a bad thing if you make it impossible to get a full hold what is the point in there even being a defence?!? The game is as much about offensive as defensive I think you miss-understand the competitive side of game and you are to focused on improving et-tv

Turn medic into wimps? NO

Remove xp system? NO if people dont like been ownd with akmibo colts then they should not suck so much.

If you want that kind of game, play CoD or MOH, ET is ET and what makes ET what it is, is things like the XP system. If you remove that then well it’s not et and it will just be another lame first person shooters

Hey wait a min isn’t there another game that this sounds like it trying to be turned into? Hey wait there is, its called RTCW! If you want a game like that THEN play it! stop turning this game into RTCW Because its not its ET.

all your latist ideas are vey poor, apart from the sniper one, BUT THIS IS ET NOT RTCW IF YOU WANT RTCW PLAY RTCW stop converting this game to be honest.

Yours truly,

LoZz

(p.s. please treat what I say serious and with respect)
B4tt3rY

Post by B4tt3rY »

teams are still able to "full hold" its just the better games to play in, and watch are the ones where there isnt full holds, where team A sets a time and then has to defend that time, if u full hold them its boring to watch, encoraging faster paced maps and faster times is better to play in, and better to watch

and LoZz is only saying stupid things, cause he is 24/7 rifle nader
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

B4tt3rY wrote:and LoZz is only saying stupid things, cause he is 24/7 rifle nader
oh yeah, that's a good point, buddy. :roll:

what does bani stop from mapping gr2 or oasis2? nothing! apart from his power-abusing manner. ;)
Last edited by Ragnarok|GER on Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ET /= RTCW!
LoZz

Post by LoZz »

B4tt3rY wrote: and LoZz is only saying stupid things, cause he is 24/7 rifle nader

Yer real mature gg

if you want limited lives in then thats fine i fail to see how that would improve that game it would all be about killing and there would be no objective play to it so much for improved compotion play it would be like a pub, have u ever played a clan match bani?
zinx

Post by zinx »

The changes are for competition play, not pub play. They are not meant to be used on pub servers, and it's the league's choice on whether to use them in competition play.

The point of competition play is to find the winner - the better team.
Full holds do not find a winner.
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
Fatty

Post by Fatty »

sorry to break it to you lozz, but bani doesn't force the cvars to be used. He only gives admins the option to implement them. Playing 5 hour matches on goldrush is a pain in the ass. Bani's changes are highly influenced by the competitive et community's requests, which is trying to make axis and allies more balanced, moving towards being allies biased, so a team sets a time and doesn't get fullheld. As zinx said, fullholds don't find winners. Don't blame bani for admins using competition settings on pubs... that's just ignorant.
LoZz

Post by LoZz »

pubs? where did i say anything about pubs?? i am on about competive play and a full hold does, it proves what a clans good at, defence or offence
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

LoZz wrote:pubs? where did i say anything about pubs?? i am on about competive play and a full hold does, it proves what a clans good at, defence or offence
there's absolutely nothing stopping players from voicing their opinions here. if they're not happy, they can come here. there's no need for any of the etpro team to post elsewhere, as this is a perfectly public forum.
zinx

Post by zinx »

LoZz wrote:pubs? where did i say anything about pubs?? i am on about competive play and a full hold does, it proves what a clans good at, defence or offence
The point of competition play is to find the winner, not to find out what a single clan is good at. With a full hold, you can't determine the winner, because you can't see which clan can get past the opposing clan's defense faster.
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

two holds (neither clan a nor clan b is able to get the objective done) don't happen very often.
even the match dignitas vs. d.sky (as seen in et.exposed) didn't result in a fullhold.
ET /= RTCW!
Nogen

Post by Nogen »

I have to agree with LoZz...

Whats wrong with having draws in matches?

Most sports have draws in them why not ET?

Why don't you find some other solution in the event of a draw such as if after 3 rounds the match is tied then you play some sort of sudden death round. For goldrush this could be like a 5 minute limit game where objective is just to steal the tank...whoever gets shortest time wins. Or even just a last man standing.

Just like a penalty shootout...doesn't really show who the best is but produces a result when you need one.
meLonF

Post by meLonF »

The idea of Stopwatch ET competition is to find the better team.... this is determined by who can complete the objective the fastest.

ET Stopwatch competitions are exciting to play (and watch) when two even teams are setting similar times, hence the entire round is interesting (as either team can potentially win). This is in no way 'lotto' gameplay as all ET maps are multistage, which takes out the '1 rush' wins like on TC_Base for example.

Now fullholds (especially double full holds) are completely contrary to the fundimental idea of Stopwatch ET. If you like full-holds i would recommend playing in a 'Campaign' ladder or league, but in a stopwatch competition full holds should be rare and only occur when one team is much better.

Maps where a lesser team can scrape out a "full-hold" against a better team are just plain bad for competition, as you do not determine a winner. This flies in the face of the whole idea of stopwatch gameplay.

Anyone who has played a 2-3 hour goldrush/oasis marathon (only for it to end with no winner) will tell you why fullholds are bad
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

sounds like to me that zinx is getting held by a clans defence eventhough the other team isnt as good 1v1, their tactics r far supreme, and wants to see ET changed into a map like ctf_multidemo so all the leet aimin clans with no teamwork wahtsoever will win all the time.

this is a team game relying on good teamplay along with sum individual skills. if u cant break down defences of clans that arnt as good shots as u, perhaps take a long look at ur tactics/teamplay as they r obviously not good enough, and stop blaming it on the game itself.

and melon stop contradicting urself, saying that the idea of stopwatch is to find the better team and then saying fullholds/double fullholds go against this idea. if there is a double full hold its plain to see that the clans r equally matched on that map. otherwise one of the teams would have managed to break down the defence and set a time.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

>>steven! wrote:and melon stop contradicting urself, saying that the idea of stopwatch is to find the better team and then saying fullholds/double fullholds go against this idea. if there is a double full hold its plain to see that the clans r equally matched on that map. otherwise one of the teams would have managed to break down the defence and set a time.
no.

if a map is heavily defense biased, you end up with endless double full holds because the weaker team can full hold off the stronger team.

if teams are equally matched, a defense biased map will never end. we've seen this before with 3 and 5 hour double full hold matches where one team ended up losing purely due to fatigue, not skills.

a good stopwatch map is offense biased. both teams should be able to set a time but the stronger team will set a better time.

sadly most maps are defense biased.
Nogen

Post by Nogen »

Sounds to me like you people need to go work on your offensive strats. No map is that defensive that you can't break down another teams defense. The only times this happens is when there is a big skill difference between the teams. I have NEVER seen a lesser team get a full hold against a stronger team.

Having said this you should note that if a stronger team can't break down the other teams defense are they really the stronger team?
sadly most maps are defense biased
Rubbish. Most maps balance offense and defense and whats more most people like the way them the way they are. A defensive bias map as you call it is not defensive biased at all - it just has a longer base time to play. If a map can't produce a result in the allowed time then just increase the maximum time allowed for the map. From what I have seen fullholds rarely occur unless there is a big skill difference...and double fullholds only occur when the "stronger" team has ineffective offensive strategies.

A good ET team, like any sporting team, has three facets - strategy, tactics (together making teamwork) and individual skill. With a longer map you find that strategy dominates - a few seconds saved or lost here and there makes all the difference. The shorter you make maps the more tactics dominate. There seems to be a culture of trying to make maps as short as possible and almost completely remove the strategy element.

I think most people who protest these changes recognise this. ET needs all three elements and I for one feel that they should be preserved.