How should I relate to the new hitboxes?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Smoke

How should I relate to the new hitboxes?

Post by Smoke »

I heard that the hitboxes were fixed in 3.1.6, but I'm not sure how I should relate to this change. Should I aim differently or what?

I suppose some will just say, "Do as you always do", but I want a good comparison with the old hitboxes. Anyone got some screenshots or something which can illustrate this?
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

Well, I don't have any screenies...

and I dunno whether all the hitboxes were fixed...

The thing I do know is that the hitbox position / model position is now calculated server-side, so where you see the player is also where the hitbox is.

So you no longer have to aim in weird positions, lol, just aim where you see the person. :wink:
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

So things like this no longer apply?

b_realhead is server-side, yes?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Yes, in theory, with the new hitbox, you just aim for the model head. If this is all you ever did, nothing needs to change. If you did compensate for the old way (by aiming at the backpack of crouched players, aiming over the head of running players etc) then you will need to change, and aim at the model.

Also, quite a few people adjusted cg_crosshairY up, since a moving players head would duck down, but the old hitbox wouldn't. You most certainly want to turn this off with the new system.

b_realhead is server side.

(hmmm, if the transition turns out to be too hard, it could actually be made a client option which changes how the server does your hit detection, like antilag currently is.)
send lawyers, guns and money
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

=FF=im2weak4u wrote: The thing I do know is that the hitbox position / model position is now calculated server-side, so where you see the player is also where the hitbox is.
"where you see the player" - is client side :P
fretn

Post by fretn »

squadjot wrote:
=FF=im2weak4u wrote: The thing I do know is that the hitbox position / model position is now calculated server-side, so where you see the player is also where the hitbox is.
that's what the fix is, the hitboxes _ARE_ where the client renders them
Day by day : http://w.twwwo.be/
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

fretn wrote:
squadjot wrote:
Idd. If I understand it correctly, what you'll see on your screen will be identical* with and without b_realhead being set. However, with it set the server with calculate your hits based on a hitbox which is much closer to the model's position than without it being set. ;)

*sif conditions couldn't apply...
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

and an awesome one at that fretn :)
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

fretn wrote:
squadjot wrote:
oke maybe i understoot it worng how it works

but the point is where you see the head is where you should aim :D
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

does this mean ppl with lag and fps lag no longer have a disadvantage?
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

>>steven! wrote:does this mean ppl with lag and fps lag no longer have a disadvantage?
No, that's not what it means.
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

so the hitboxes rnt where the model is then :P
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

>>steven! wrote:so the hitboxes rnt where the model is then :P
Aiming with 20 FPS will always be harder than with stable 76 FPS, and the low pinger gets the chance to shoot before the high pinger. These disadvantages has nothing to do with hitboxes.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

>>steven! wrote:so the hitboxes rnt where the model is then :P
No, that doesn't follow at all. It should be blindingly obvious that longer delays and less smooth movment will always be a disadvantage.

AFAIK b_realhead doesn't change where/how the model shows up on the client, it only changes the relationship of the head hitbox to the player origin on the server. In earlier versions, the head hitbox location (on the server) was calculated by a simple formula which had nothing to do with the model animation. It now uses the animation data. So if you were seeing exactly what was on the server, then the hitbox would match up pefectly with the head model.

Antilag (and some other stuff) is reponsible for making it so that the player origin on the server is the same as what it was on the client when you shot. That has it's own problems in etpro 3.1, which are enirely unrelated to the head position calculations. There are also inherent problems playing a game on an unreliable network.
send lawyers, guns and money
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

reyalP

Maybe you should redo your screenshot's and do side to side Pic's of old and new.

Or not :P