New 3.1.6 and Trickjumping

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

fretn

Post by fretn »

I think I'm faster than that script :p

because I don't see mouseturning in it, and this gives you a boost !
Day by day : http://w.twwwo.be/
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

I used to use that sprint-jump script in RTCW, but stopped using it soon after I started playing ET. Initially because ET maps seem to have less flat surfaces than RTCW and the sprint-jump script is crap for going up or down slopes or across uneven terrain.

As a result I forced myself to take the time to learn proper strafe-jumping. I'm still crap at it, but I can get around quicker by strafe-jumping than I ever could using a script.

Now I don't use any scripts at all because doing things the "proper" way is always better and learning how to do things the proper way makes you a better player. The only people scripts give you an advantage over are newbies. The trouble is newbies find out scripting is possible and assume anyone better than them must be using them :roll:
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

1) Speedjump scripts seem very useless to me, because of the obvious reason that trickjumping is mostly about control and not about being able to jump a certain distance. I doubt any script will let you jump as far as a manually made jump as well. I used a rtcw jump script once and thought it was useless.

2) There are jumps that are meant to travel with more speed, and jumps that are meant to give access to something you cannot get to otherwise. However, most of those jumps you can do at any fps you want (like oasis walljump, you can do that at 10 fps). Those that are hard usually don't get done anyway (like jumping over fueldump wall, has anyone done this in a scrim?)

3) b_fixedphysics . Level the playing for everyone at whatever fps. Sure, you can still strafejump but so can anybody who have put a bit of practice into it, but now everyone has the same advantage.

4) I agree there is (could be) a problem with people jumping at 333fps. With that you can travel insanely fast even on flat terrain, and you can jump over anything with ease (I jump over the canyon in temple with ease). The maps were definitely not designed to be played in this way. But you get network problems if you play at that fps, so there isn't really a problem.
Last edited by SickBoy on Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
MeeZ?

Post by MeeZ? »

KingJackaL wrote: It was a fault in Quake 1.
As the resident QuakeWorld player here I have to say you lie :o Quake1/Quakeworld has no faults :P. Bunnyhopping in QW is better than anyother sort, fe, quake3's bunnyhopping stinks. I refuse to think that there are gameplay flaw's in Quakeworld. Plain and simply the fastest paced, and hardest game, for a whole 8 years. Shame we've only got 500 servers and 140 clans on the euro scene now.
BAN PRONEDELAY \o/
kekkyoku

Post by kekkyoku »

MeeZ? wrote:quake3's bunnyhopping stinks.
Thats because Quake 3 doesnt have bunnyhopping :P Its called strafe jumping.
coda'uk

Post by coda'uk »

it is attitudes like adminN00b's that kill games and communities. look at what happened to wolf after PB locked any FPs and brightness tweaks. some similarily minded moron must have come up with the CPL rules for not altering CS configs at all, just because a good config gives you an advantage over a player with default settings.

bottom line is, fans of ID family of games have always been devoted and envelopped into their chosen game/mod BECAUSE you can tweak it any way that suits your playig style and machine. and this learning curve has always incited new players to get better - once you discover strafe jumping, bunny hopping and so forth, it opens up a new dimention to the game. setting up your game is also a skill. just like you'd need to learn to drive and tune your car.
Durinia

Post by Durinia »

SickBoy wrote: Those that are hard usually don't get done anyway (like jumping over fueldump wall, has anyone done this in a scrim?)
got used against us twice in matches within a month. ;)
The first guy was very good at it - he could do it probably 75% - he kept trying to do it when we were *in* the depot. ;)
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

i dont what a realistic game, i play games to get away from reality, im quite happy in strafing 50ft in the air whilst prone and doing the samba.
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
deej

Post by deej »

>>steven! wrote:and doing the samba.
omg you h4x0r cheat0r I bet you have a special samba-script from DSky or e*Star and I want bani to code /b_sambadelay!!!

/callvote mute myself
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
fretn

Post by fretn »

deej wrote: /callvote mute myself
see, sometimes there are real good ideas in these forums !

:p
Day by day : http://w.twwwo.be/
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

coda'uk wrote:it is attitudes like adminN00b's that kill games and communities. look at what happened to wolf after PB locked any FPs and brightness tweaks. some similarily minded moron must have come up with the CPL rules for not altering CS configs at all, just because a good config gives you an advantage over a player with default settings.

bottom line is, fans of ID family of games have always been devoted and envelopped into their chosen game/mod BECAUSE you can tweak it any way that suits your playig style and machine. and this learning curve has always incited new players to get better - once you discover strafe jumping, bunny hopping and so forth, it opens up a new dimention to the game. setting up your game is also a skill. just like you'd need to learn to drive and tune your car.
agreed, to a degree. if you suck WITHOUT your scripts, u just plain suck. if u use tweaks to enhance play, but you can still own with a freshly generated, default config. ok fine.

on the other hand, some people are awesome at *cough* tweaking *cough* their opengl drivers, too.

should that be allowed? ;)

its a very fine line between tweak and cheat.

it's like an athlete. no two people have the same physique, and some are able to work out and "tweak" their body to a level beyond their opponents. that's ok, but when you start to delve into the murkiness of steroids, etc, it becomes another ballgame.

prize fighters are divided into classes based on weight, and similarly clans are divided into divisions based on ability. but we can never let it get to the point that you can tweak your way to the next level. it has to be based primarily on hand/eye coordination and mental strategy first and foremost.

that's where limitations on tweaking come into play, to assure at least some level of equality, with a bit of tweaking leeway left for individuality.
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
AdminNOOB

Post by AdminNOOB »

"can you point me to such a jumpscript ?
I can't believe it makes such a difference (with no fixed physics), if it does everyone would use it"

I found it on a clan site where there admin was a heavy duty programmer; it was in their forums. I'll be darned if I can remember the clan site and yes, it works w/ fixed physics as well. It's insane. It's a config that is about 1/2 mg in size and has all sorts of fps changes in it to make it possible.

I would attach the file here if I could. I can jump over the river on fueldump w/ it 9 times out of ten (to give you an idea who much that script affects gameplay). All I had to do was paste it in my config and toggle it w/ my p key.
AdminNOOB

Post by AdminNOOB »

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:27 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"can you point me to such a jumpscript ?
I can't believe it makes such a difference (with no fixed physics), if it does everyone would use it"

I found it on a clan site where their admin is a heavy duty programmer; it was in their forums. I'll be darned if I can remember the clan site and yes, it works w/ fixed physics as well. It's insane. It's a config that is about 1/2 mg in size and has all sorts of fps changes in it to make it possible.

I would attach the file here if I could. I can jump over the river on fueldump w/ it 9 times out of ten (to give you an idea who much that script affects gameplay). All I had to do was paste it in my config and toggle it w/ my p key.

Sorry bout' the illiteracy...no coffee yet this morning.
AdminNOOB

Post by AdminNOOB »

BTW, you would have to be on two sheets of acid to miss the Oasis walljump w/ it on.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Sorry, but I'm not going to believe a script like that unless I see it (assuming that the script isn't just +sprint; +forward; +moveleft; wait 5; +moveup)