New hitboxes are great, whens it going to be official?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Herf

New hitboxes are great, whens it going to be official?

Post by Herf »

Has there been any problems reported with the new hitboxes? If not, when will they be made official?

Thanks for correcting the hitboxes, its very greatly appreciated.

H3rf
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Surely this is up to the leagues ?
send lawyers, guns and money
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

thats up to leagues to decide.
Herf

Post by Herf »

Hmmm, Durina recently said that its still BETA on etcenter, and said that thats why its not in competition yet.

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:29 am Post subject:
Durina
"Its in the current BETA version of etpro, which is running on the ET-Center boxes. (and its not in competition yet, because its BETA)

So I guess to rephrase my question properly:

Is the current version of the ETPRO/Hitbox fix BETA, or is it a done deal? I think kekk was saying they put it up on lockedbox for testing, therefore I guess people assumed it was beta.

I think its great, the vast majority of people I talk to think its either great or nuetral on it. Whats hurting me is the switching between playing LB and scrimming with the non fixed hitboxes, for me, its MUCH mentally tougher to obtain head hits on the old hitboxes now that I can just naturally aim at the head on lockedbox. On locked box I am achieving consistently higher headshots with little effort.

So, its sounds like this is a DONE DEAL on the developement side, and that now the leagues just have to decide on whether they like it or not?

Thanks for your help,

H3rf
Blackout

Post by Blackout »

Can individuals choose their own hit reconciliation algorithm, or does that prove impractical/chaotic? I'd rather stick with the boxes I know, buggy though they are (i.e. I've had trouble adjusting). If not, c'est la vie.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

as the whole point is to put the headshot detection on the server side... i don't think it will be possible for a clientside option
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Blackout

Post by Blackout »

gotenks wrote:as the whole point is to put the headshot detection on the server side... i don't think it will be possible for a clientside option
Yes of course, but I should think it still caches the last 500 ms of the game independent of the hit detection algorithm... unless it's changed massively from Toronto's original product, it might not yet be impossible for the server to run two hit reconciliation algorithms in parallel, using the player's preference to make the decision. Maybe there's a massive flaw in giving clients that kind of freedom and I just walked right past it.

I'm probably just spoiled by all the wishes ETPro has made come true :-(((
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

It is possible to select antilag method although that's also done serverside, but if it's half as good as people are saying that shouldn't be necessary. :)

Herf:
Have ETPro 3.2 been released yet? No, so regardless of the maturity of the new hitbox calculation it's still a beta. Leagues can't implement something like that until everyone has the ability to run it on their server.
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

i think in a round about way hes asking when will it be released, which ofc we all know "no date will be given"
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
Blackout

Post by Blackout »

@Sauron: I'm sure you're right that the boxes are much better now. Nonetheless, switching to a new hitbox system creates a hurdle for me. I know the old, buggy hitboxes, and I would rather stick with my years of experience on them then switch to a new system. Naturally, the new hitboxes deserve a higher priority than maintaining backwards compatibility for people like me, but if it's possible, I would be delighted.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

personally, if it's optional at all, i'd suggest it being optional for user... as shooting someone in the head on some servers would give you headshot whereas shooting on shoulder on others would give you headshot... that will get quite confusing
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
coda'uk

Post by coda'uk »

when do we get to see a public beta with clientside and server files made available for the general public?
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

coda'uk wrote:when do we get to see a public beta with clientside and server files made available for the general public?
See here: http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... php?t=4870 the answer is "real soon now", so I expect the beta within the next 12 months ;).
Herf

Post by Herf »

So the new hitboxes cant be incorporated unless everything in the new etpro is incorporated as well, I know less than jack about coding, so was unsure if it was a seperate thing/module whatever apart from etpro.

so the fixed head hitboxes are a done deal, its just that they have to debug all the other etpro new stuff to make the etpro release gold, gotcha.

Heheh, its tough for an old guy like me to be spoiled on locked box and then have to switch back to the old harder THINK way of getting headshots in matches.

I will now suffer in silence : P

H3rf