3.1.8 crashes

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Smoke

Post by Smoke »

bacon wrote:You posted that AFTER somebody with an nvidia card reported the same problem...
Yes, I read it before I posted, but after I updated the drivers. I read that Catalyst 4.11 had some problems with PB, so I hoped 4.12b would do it.
b_pwnage 1
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

i've always been jealous of ppl who have the patience to show their online emphasis with bold and italics tags. i'm so lazy i just use CAPS for those words, or wrap em in *asterisks*
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

ouroboro wrote:
bani wrote:turn off norton antivirus / firewall.
lol?

no offense intended bani, but if etpro is interacting in an undesireable manner with something that is considered a vital system component for todays windows users, it's the etpro team who needs to address the issue.
buy me a copy of norton antivirus and i'll be happy to look at the issue.

the alternative is no anticheat.

or figure out a way to tell norton to ignore et.exe.

other antivirus programs dont appear to have the issue.
Last edited by bani on Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

ouroboro wrote: seriously, if it's gotten to the point that etpro can't play nicely with symantec products, the problem lies with etpro.
Forget the symantec products, they are huge ressource hogs with a very small use (even the freeware antivirus is a better virus scanner than that norton bullshit). The only one halfway usable is ghost on a bootdisk, all other products just don't do anything really good to your system.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

buddy, i understand all about what norton et al is. this isnt a chicken/egg debate. this is about dealing with an inescapable fact that millions of ppl use the products.

this is like when i tell friends that they need to check their websites in internet explorer because millions of people use it, and they immediately launch into a tirade against microsoft and touting the virtues of firefox. fine! agreed! there's still millions of IE users, however.

/me wanders off, shaking his head and mumbling like Yosemite Sam...
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

millions of people might use retarded products, thats no reason to cripple the anticheat functionality to appease them when there are other products that dont have the problem.

like i said, if someone is willing to pay to provide a copy of norton for debugging purposes then i'll look into it. otherwise it cant be that important.
Badhabit

Post by Badhabit »

bani wrote:millions of people might use retarded products, thats no reason to cripple the anticheat functionality to appease them when there are other products that dont have the problem.

like i said, if someone is willing to pay to provide a copy of norton for debugging purposes then i'll look into it. otherwise it cant be that important.
I use Norton and haven't had any problems with 3.1.8 So It's not just NAV that might be causing there problems.
{Zer0}'s House of Torment 67.19.67.118:27960
{Zer0}'s RTCW server 67.19.67.119:27960
Now Lets Go Kick Some ASS
And thats an Order.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

you can ignore et.exe maybe that works

i ued to have norton AV 2003 (1 year free) but on this pc i have some crappy AV seported on this system :D
Gilius_Caesar

Post by Gilius_Caesar »

I disabled norton firewall & anti-virus... It still crashes...

So far I've had:
-3 crashes that needed a reboot just when the map loaded
-2 crashes to windows with no warning or something, also right after the map loaded
-1 2 minute play, then crash that could be helped with ctrl+alt+delete
-1 1.5 hour play :o then needed a reboot
El_Sexy

Post by El_Sexy »

When I entered an etpro 1.8 server, it just seems to crash for the first couple of seonds (video freezes and sound loops)... around 7? Well the first time this happened, I thought it crashed. So i ctrl+alt+delete and close Et. I reconnect to the same server, same thing happens... so Im like wtf.. I waited a bit... got tired and did ctrl+alt+delete. While doing this though, ET went from "Not responding" to "Running." Guess everytime I join I have to wait several seconds and have the annoying sound loops :cry: This happens to me also when a new map is started.
Societal Eclipse

Post by Societal Eclipse »

I use NAV 2002 and I always disable it from the taskbar before starting up Et. I played a 3.1.8 server for five hours yesterday with no problems.
witkapje

Post by witkapje »

Hahahah funnny turn of firewall and antivirus? why do u think i have them?
Here's a story.

I had some probs with my i-net i called my provider for help his great idea was to turn off firewall for some time so i did. (as stupid as i am DOH)
After 1 minute or so my PC crashed and stuff and i was hacked like a bunny raped by a wolf and I had to reinstall windows etc.

So my point is turning off firewall is the last thing i would do 2 play on etpro servers. :wink:

Owh yeah and Bani I guess u could better download it or something :twisted:
Ragnar_40k

Post by Ragnar_40k »

bani wrote:like i said, if someone is willing to pay to provide a copy of norton for debugging purposes then i'll look into it. otherwise it cant be that important.
You can download a free 15-day trial ware.
The Emperor watch over you.
triggadeath

Sound Loop freeze crap

Post by triggadeath »

hey...

I also get that 20-30 sec freeze crap... never happened before 3.1.8, I was just on BIO server and a few people are complaining of having it as well... :twisted: :twisted: :evil:

As apposed to slagging off nortons.. maybe asking people to post specs/driver versions or something might help to fix this crap...

while we are at it...
PunkBuster Client: r_nv_fogdist_mode = "GL_EYE_RADIAL_NV" : must INCLUDE "NV" (OK)
wtf is that? and why does it repeat itself 50000000000 times on round change? is there anyway to stop it??!?!

Spec:-
P4 3.6 || 1GB RAM || 500GB Serial ATA RAID 0 || GeForce 4 ti 4600 || SoundBlaster Live || 2MB ADSL ||
Drivers: Nvidia Official version 66.93
Software: winXP Home || SP2 || Norton NOT installed.
Tried: WinXP Firewall on/off (same sh*t) || Tried using dxdiag to set sound hardware acceleration to the various 4 settings || Tried deleting etpro folder and re-installing 3.1.8 || Tried banging the F*cking computer! :evil:

plz fix.. as it is frustrating to wait for 30 secs between F'ing rounds and be left behind at spawn :P
thx
coda'uk

Post by coda'uk »

at map load its fine, i am normally first on the server loaded and ready etc. joining a server and waiting for limbo ti initialise gets a freeze for a bit but thats ok, does not affect gameplay.

after the countdown, it goes to 'fight' and then i get about 5 secs of a sound loop and cpu lag where it freezes and i cant move. it eventually comes around and i can start playing but my team mates have already moved away from spawn and are way down the road or whatever. seems like i am not alone though bt a lot of people dont appear to be affected so whats the fix?

i don't run norton or anything like that so whats the excuse :)