3.1.8 crashes

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

MeeZ?

Post by MeeZ? »

bacon wrote:
ouroboro wrote:next you'll be telling us we have to all switch to linux in order to avoid all your problems dealing with windows.
Don't put ideas in his head...especially that one!
Why not? I would wub that :P
BAN PRONEDELAY \o/
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Ragnar_40k wrote:
bani wrote:like i said, if someone is willing to pay to provide a copy of norton for debugging purposes then i'll look into it. otherwise it cant be that important.
You can download a free 15-day trial ware.
i installed the NIS 2005 demo, enabled everything and played on some 3.1.8 servers. i was completely unable to get any lag at all.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

i freeze for like 10-15 when i join a server... the funny thing..its ONLY me..everyone is running around..but i cant move...then BOUMP, my lagometer makes a huge spike/block..and then i get a "hole", and can move...

this is something i can live with, and its been there the last couple of releases of etpro ..(it MAY be some hairy scripting of my own causing this :oops: )
Jinks

Post by Jinks »

ouroboro wrote: lol?

no offense intended bani, but if etpro is interacting in an undesireable manner with something that is considered a vital system component for todays windows users, it's the etpro team who needs to address the issue.
No offense intended ouroboro, but if you think turning on norton av and sitting on your thumbs while it runs 24/7 is the best way to protect your winblows box you should pull your head out of your ass, actually pay attention to what you open/download, examine and rectify bullshit registry settings that leave your shit open to attack, get yourself a NAT router and disable some commonly known exploitable services.

Then you wouldn't have to leave it running (and eating all of your resources) whilst you attempt to actually use your computer. It's not rocket science or a closely guarded secret that programs like Norton AV + programs that demand alot of system resources results in less than desirable performance. Use your VITAL system component to scan files, e-mail attachments, and pr0n you download. Don't leave it on 24/7
Grizbo

Post by Grizbo »

Jinks, if you don't want to leave your AV on, thats your choice. But do you accept that you shouldn't have to disable your AV/firewall just to play on servers that run a COMPULSORY competition mod? The fact remains, you shouldn't have to disable anything protecting your PC to allow it to run, it could very well be that Norton is being paranoid, etpro does like to do a lot of suspicious looking things though, like looking into the memory for hacks etc.

But rather than get hostile, can we just agree that some people feel a lot happier having their security software running 24/7 and I for one don't give a toss how "noob" that is, its more important to me than the "wasted" resources. Its not a great thing that ETPro is having trouble with some AV, and it would be nice to resolve it. AV/Firewall is clearly not the only security measure to take, but to suggest its unnecessary and should be disabled is pretty foolhardy. Bottom line, it shouldn't be necessary to be disabled, if people can set their AV to ignore etpro, all well and good.

On an interesting (and controversial ;)) note, its quite amusing to see etpro having random lockups, false positives, cheats that work on it regardless. Its kinda like that PB thing that sucked so bad and they thought they were going to replace in a day with a perfect system... :roll:
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

@ouroboro

Are you playing on PB enabled servers? If yes you do run et under an admin account, so much about any security.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

Jinks wrote:No offense intended ouroboro, but if you think turning on norton av and sitting on your thumbs while it runs 24/7 is the best way to protect your winblows box you should pull your head out of your ass, actually pay attention to what you open/download, examine and rectify bullshit registry settings that leave your shit open to attack, get yourself a NAT router and disable some commonly known exploitable services.

Then you wouldn't have to leave it running (and eating all of your resources) whilst you attempt to actually use your computer. It's not rocket science or a closely guarded secret that programs like Norton AV + programs that demand alot of system resources results in less than desirable performance. Use your VITAL system component to scan files, e-mail attachments, and pr0n you download. Don't leave it on 24/7
once again, an ignoramus who can't read. i never addressed my own usage or habits, so your insults to me ring hollow. let me try this again:

i agree with everything you said, but it doesn't address the issue i brought forth, which is that THE MASSES use the product.

jesus fucking christ. stop looking for a reason to appear superior to someone (me) on a forum and pay attention to the point made. i might be so goddamned elite that i play ET on my own homebuilt cray, you don't know anything about me, lol. i'm talking about the fact that a freaking shitload of people use norton products and they are utterly clueless about their computers - they simply install what they're told and leave it at that. we can't be knocking these people out of etpro servers like flies simply because they're ignorant.

i know these people play et because i've dealt with them. i've actually had to explain in minute detail how to locate etconfig.cfg while helping a rather good player resolve some issues he was having.

so ffs stfu and pull YOUR head out of your own immensely pompous, puckered up anus and realize that there are people who niether know nor CARE about anything you think is common knowledge - they simply want to play ET and won't take kindly to being told they have to take a night course in windows administration to do it.

i swear, sometimes i feel like i'm smashing my face against a chainlink fence around here...
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
Jinks

Post by Jinks »

There is no superiority complex envolved here, in fact I know alot less about the running of computers than I would like. I just think it's stupid to come on to a the ETPro forum and demand that bani "fix" any conflict between norton anti-virus and said mod. I know as well as anybody that the "masses" couldn't be bothered repairing leaky holes in their ship and would rather run a gigantic resource hog to monitor these holes instead of taking measures to plug them up. My point is this: who's software is mis-behaving? Why is it bani's fault or responsibility? This mod is only "compulsary" for a person if such a person chooses to compete in a league that requires the use of ETPro. I would expect that people looking to join competition play would accept the fact that they should spend at least a very minimum amount of time and effort to learn the in's and out's of competitive gaming. Bani and his team have taken a pile of shit release and turned it into a viable competition mod - completely on their own free time. I'm getting tired of reading posts by people who walk into these forums from their own little private lives (this is a daily occurance) because they don't like something and DEMAND more work be done to remedy a problem caused by the end users ignorance or software written by a larger commercial company (who don't read and respond so easily to customer complains). This is not Microsoft and you are not a paying customer of ETPro you have to realize that. Making suggestions and providing information is a worth while activity, making demands of people who are donating their time for your benefit is just... out of fucking hand. The thing that seals it for me is the fact Bani has taken the time to respond to your posts (I wouldn't even bother if it were me) and ASKED YOU FOR A COPY OF THE PROGRAM SO HE CAN LOOK AT IT. What more do you want.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

next release should have a fix.
triggadeath

Post by triggadeath »

Jinks wrote:There is no superiority complex envolved here, in fact I know alot less about the running of computers than I would like. I just think it's stupid to come on to a the ETPro forum and demand that bani "fix" any conflict between norton anti-virus and said mod. I know as well as anybody that the "masses" couldn't be bothered repairing leaky holes in their ship and would rather run a gigantic resource hog to monitor these holes instead of taking measures to plug them up. My point is this: who's software is mis-behaving? Why is it bani's fault or responsibility? This mod is only "compulsary" for a person if such a person chooses to compete in a league that requires the use of ETPro. I would expect that people looking to join competition play would accept the fact that they should spend at least a very minimum amount of time and effort to learn the in's and out's of competitive gaming. Bani and his team have taken a pile of shit release and turned it into a viable competition mod - completely on their own free time. I'm getting tired of reading posts by people who walk into these forums from their own little private lives (this is a daily occurance) because they don't like something and DEMAND more work be done to remedy a problem caused by the end users ignorance or software written by a larger commercial company (who don't read and respond so easily to customer complains). This is not Microsoft and you are not a paying customer of ETPro you have to realize that. Making suggestions and providing information is a worth while activity, making demands of people who are donating their time for your benefit is just... out of fucking hand. The thing that seals it for me is the fact Bani has taken the time to respond to your posts (I wouldn't even bother if it were me) and ASKED YOU FOR A COPY OF THE PROGRAM SO HE CAN LOOK AT IT. What more do you want.

Grrrrrrrrrrr FFS!! it is not Nortons!! I and many others stated we do not have Nortons Installed! And many of us have fav servers we normally prefer to play on and this problem is 100% down to something in the new ETPRO 3.1.8 as many did not have this problem before this version.. so get the F off ya high horse and stfu..

The best way to resolve this problem is if everyone post PC specs and any software installed and see if we can find a common device/attribute that is causing this.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

next release should have a fix.
Grizbo

Post by Grizbo »

Jinks wrote: I know as well as anybody that the "masses" couldn't be bothered repairing leaky holes in their ship and would rather run a gigantic resource hog to monitor these holes instead of taking measures to plug them up.
What would you have us do? Running an AV/Firewall, patching 100% up to date, and checking for updates more than daily, disabling some services that are unneeded still falls short of "plugging" security holes, and thats all from a very pretty dilligent user. Bearing in mind "use Linux" is not a valid answer, why shouldn't a person use an anti virus as a security measure on their windows system? Your answer is going to amuse me, Jinks. And how someone with your attitude gets to be an admin in a major league, God only knows. And Etpro is pretty compulsory if you play competitively, you name me a league which doesn't use it ;)

Thats no bad thing, ETPro is definitely a good thing, not arguing with you on that. But as has been said in other discussions on here, its only a choice when there's more than 1 reasonable option open to you... If for some reason a player can't play with etpro, its as good as saying they can't play competitively.

Thank you Bani for taking the time to look into and (hopefully) solve this issue, I'm sure its greatly appreciated by all the affected players, whether they express it here or not.
triggadeath

Post by triggadeath »

Grizbo wrote:
Jinks wrote:
Thank you Bani for taking the time to look into and (hopefully) solve this issue, I'm sure its greatly appreciated by all the affected players, whether they express it here or not.
Of course we love bani and his efforts.. noone here is blaming bani for these recent problems. ....without ETPro. .. ET would be stuck in the dark ages.

Thank you Bani..big time for all you have done to date and you got everyones backing 4000%...
Jinks

Post by Jinks »

well I must appologize I'm probably being a bit of a jerk. The point is moot anyway Bani is saying there should be a fix (and trying to kill the thread I beleive). Soooo there's not much point in continuing. Bottom line: Have more respect for someone who is donating their time for your benefit. Don't demand things.
Malak

Post by Malak »

bani wrote:next release should have a fix.
that should be a good new :o)