things I don't understand . . .

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

c0l0n

things I don't understand . . .

Post by c0l0n »

1)
b_fixed physics - what does this do, and is it used in competition? My understanding is that it makes running your machine at 76, 43, or 125 fps no longer give you a boost

2)
The 3.19 hitboxes, do they work the same as before (ie a box around the body, and a smaller box for the head), basically I'm asking if you shoot above the shoulder, or between the legs, where you wouldn't hit someone IRL, are you still hitting them?

3)
MG fov, when you're on a tank mg or any mobile I am unable to toggle my field of view, why is that?

4)
What is ui_sensitivity?

5)
What's the cvar for controlling fog, I am using dsky kotkis' config and it eliminates the fog I was seeing on radar, and the indoor part of temple, for better long range view, just curious what the cvar is

6)
what's the cvar for simple items again? b_simpleitems?

7)
How fast (stabs per second) does the knife go?

8)
what's the config cvar for mouse acceleration?
nihilist

Re: things I don't understand . . .

Post by nihilist »

c0l0n wrote:1)b_fixed physics
Makes clients move/jump at b_fixedphysicsfps <number> frame's per second independant of their actual FPS. Leagues/comps would be silly not to use it. (serverside)
c0l0n wrote:5)What's the cvar for controlling fog
Not really a fog controller but, r_clamptoedge has that effect.
c0l0n wrote:6)b_simpleitems?
Yes.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

c0l0n wrote: 2) The 3.19 hitboxes, do they work the same as before (ie a box around the body, and a smaller box for the head), basically I'm asking if you shoot above the shoulder, or between the legs, where you wouldn't hit someone IRL, are you still hitting them?
Only the head position is changed. The body box, and the headbox size remain the same. The headbox is merely centered on the head model. Note that if b_realhead is 0 on the server, then the head position is calculated the old way, using a simple formula based on what direction the player is looking.
3) MG fov, when you're on a tank mg or any mobile I am unable to toggle my field of view, why is that?
Because it was designed that way.
send lawyers, guns and money
Deus

Post by Deus »

nihilist wrote:Makes clients move/jump at b_fixedphysicsfps <number> frame's per second independant of their actual FPS. Leagues/comps would be silly not to use it. (serverside)
Lie !
some stupid league in germany (not telling any names here) is using it and it sucks big time!

Its 80 % harder to perform the same jumps as with pmove_fixed 1

P.S.: Feel free to proof that I am wrong
jump3r

Post by jump3r »

c0l0n wrote:4)
What is ui_sensitivity?
ui_ settings are menu settings (how it's shown in menu, if enabled or disabled, etc). it's recommended to leave them alone, except ui_showtooltips.
c0l0n wrote:5)
What's the cvar for controlling fog, I am using dsky kotkis' config and it eliminates the fog I was seeing on radar, and the indoor part of temple, for better long range view, just curious what the cvar is
imo, r_clamptoedge 0. but it's restricted by server clanwar configs (= double map loading if 0).
c0l0n wrote:6)
what's the cvar for simple items again? b_simpleitems?
b_simpleitems (1 = simple items enabled (sux))
c0l0n wrote:8)
what's the config cvar for mouse acceleration?
cl_mouseaccel (default 0 = off)
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

[pH*Deus] wrote: Lie !
some stupid league in germany (not telling any names here) is using it and it sucks big time!

Wouldn't it be better if you proved that it's not working so that it could be fixed (if you are correct)?
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

[pH*Deus] wrote:
nihilist wrote:Makes clients move/jump at b_fixedphysicsfps <number> frame's per second independant of their actual FPS. Leagues/comps would be silly not to use it. (serverside)
Lie !

Maybe, but they'd still be morons not to use it :P
v3rtigo

Post by v3rtigo »

Sauron|EFG wrote:
[pH*Deus] wrote: Lie !

Wouldn't it be better if you proved that it's not working so that it could be fixed (if you are correct)?

Pmove_fixed 1 _doesn't_ work the same way as b_fixedphysicsfps
your movment alot better with pmove_fixed 1 and b_fixedphysics 0, then with b_fixedphysics 1, it's known, i don't know actualy what is bugged because i never can get 125 fps, so i can't test it, but anyone eslse that can get 125 fps on some maps, can test it.
EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

My ignorance is likely to be corrected, but my understanding was thus:

1000 / pmove_msec (normally 8, can be 3) = your FPS value for jumping whilst pmove_fixed was 1. Ie, a pmove_msec of 8 means 1000 / 8 = 125. So it should be essentially identical to your jumping ability with b_fixedphysics 1/b_fixedphysicsfps 125.

Now I haven't noticed any difficulty jumping with b_fixedphysics 1 and b_fixedphysicsfps 125, but I suggest the only true way to test this is with scripting, since it's impossible to perfectly reproduce the same jump any other way. So v3rtigo, perhaps you could write, or just find, a small jump script, and test? I admit I don't know how to use the TJL tools available, but I could go learn for the sake of testing I suppose. Unless someone who knows more than me can firmly say there's no difference?
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

v3rtigo wrote: Pmove_fixed 1 _doesn't_ work the same way as b_fixedphysicsfps
your movment alot better with pmove_fixed 1 and b_fixedphysics 0, then with b_fixedphysics 1, it's known, i don't know actualy what is bugged because i never can get 125 fps, so i can't test it, but anyone eslse that can get 125 fps on some maps, can test it.
Erm with either pmove_fixed or b_fixedphysics you don't need to actually get that many FPS. So I'm not quite sure what your point is there.

Pmove_fixed and b_fixedphysics aren't the same, but they should have similar end results.

It is worth noting jumping on non-dedicated servers is also somewhat different. If you are testing anything jump related, I suggest using a dedicated server (you can run a dedicated server and a client on the same machine. Just make sure you connect by ip).

EagleReloaded
Sadly the trickjumplines are somewhat broken in etpro 3.x. http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... php?t=5363
send lawyers, guns and money
Mat3k

Post by Mat3k »

[pH*Deus] wrote:
Lie !

Ermmm, the whole europe is using it. The new official European config has b_fixedphysics 1 and b_fixedphysicsfps 125 so its not just one stupid league, it's all the major leagues.
Imbroglio

Post by Imbroglio »

using the tjl toolkit provided, i tested out pmove_fixed 1 along with b_fixedphysics/fps to see if movement speeds would differ any, i tested these results with my com_maxfps at 125 and 76, tbh with pmove_fixed on (tested at oasis walljump) there was no speed difference, in fact what little speed difference there was (pmove_fixed on being lower than off) i was actually suprised, but i did notice one thing, i then got a couple ppl to join the local server and have a smg battle at the foot of the wall (to see if that would lag down my fps), sure enough, i could barely make the jump with pmove_fixed off, but with it on, i was jumping as if nobody was in the server, just my two cents 8)

--didn't touch pmove_msec though :/
Till DEATH do us Part
Deus

Post by Deus »

Mat3k wrote: Ermmm, the whole europe is using it. The new official European config has b_fixedphysics 1 and b_fixedphysicsfps 125 so its not just one stupid league, it's all the major leagues.
If this stoopid config with no xp levels will be the config the league I joined is using i will cancel cause if i want no xp i could have kept playing rtcw

With pmove_fixed 1 i can jump the fueldump by 50 to 70 %
with pmove_fixed 0 and this ficxedcrap i managed to jump the dump once in 300 tries.
and don't tell me its my own fault.
there IS a difference !
v3rtigo

Post by v3rtigo »

too many comments to lazy to quote them all :>

k, it's not that i say that "they" are stupid and "i" smart, it's not, i don't know where is the exact bug, but i do know,that i jump alot better (higher/faster) with pmove_fixed 1 and b_fixedphysics 0, than with b_fixedphysics 1.

how can you test it?

easy, if you can get 125 fps, and you pretty much good jumper, try to do make jump that you can do 100% perfect with 125 fps, pmove_fixed 0, and b_fixedphysics 0, then do the same jump with
com_maxfps 76, pmove_fixed 1 and b_fixedphysics 0, than with com_maxfps 76, b_fixedphysicsfps 125, b_fixedphysics 1, and pmove_fixed 0 (I think that b_fixedphysics come over the pmovE_fixed cvar, but i can't be sure)

and see with what cvar you jumping like you have _actual_ 125 fps, most importent is to have com_maxfps 76, when testing those cvars.

with script it can be alot easier, but good jumpers can test it w/o script, i know for a fact that there is a big difference between pmove_fxied, and b_fixedphysics, i just don't know what of the cvars is the "right" 1.

I realy hope that the etpro team, can test it and see what is the right cvar (pmove_fxied or b_fixedphysics) that make you jump like with 125fps.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

v3rtigo wrote:b_fixedphysicsfps 125, b_fixedphysics 1
you do know this is server side right?
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?