Any chance of b_medicMaxHealth ?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Kendle

Post by Kendle »

@Svarvsven : I agree with your arguments, although they assume XP levelling up, which I'm 10000000% against and always have been. If we have to run with the new CB config in Europe (which I guess we have little choice but to), the fact that XP is locked makes it the best thing since sliced bread IMO.

@SCDS_reyalP : Teams aren't Med dominated in the US? They are in Europe.

I don't agree with limiting Classes either ( I was against the Rifle 'Nade and Mine restrictions in the CB config ). I just want teams to be fair and balanced for both sides. All Classes obviously have their strengths and weaknesses, but Meds strength is their greater HP, and lack of ammo isn't much of a weakness when they have ammo racks and / or can /kill to restock, which the defending team can do more effectively than the attacking team.

btw, I play Med 95% of the time for my Clan (occasional 2nd Engie on attack), so don't think I'm asking for this cos I get owned by Meds and don't like it. But I see my role as a support Class, not a front-line soldier.
kekkyoku

Post by kekkyoku »

Meds should have the same max health as every other class, they'd still have regen and the ability to pack up to help them revive. It wont change much, dominant players will still be dominant the only people that would suffer is the pub stars who go medic as a crutch.
DG

Post by DG »

dunno but whatever is done should be kept so it's simple, at least in the POV of the players.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Kendle wrote: @SCDS_reyalP : Teams aren't Med dominated in the US? They are in Europe.
Certainly med is the default class if you don't absolutely need something else, and the 'spam' restrictions emphasize that (after all, 'spam' was the an effective way for other classes to kill off meds), but in my experience, you absolutely need quite a few other things on just about every phase of every map.

I would just hate to have what classes you can use in a match dictated completely by the config. I realize that you aren't the one suggesting this, but number of other people are offering as a solution to the percieved 'medic problem'.
But I see my role as a support Class, not a front-line soldier.
Why not ? How would the game be better if medic wasn't the main battle class ?
send lawyers, guns and money
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:
Kendle wrote:But I see my role as a support Class, not a front-line soldier.
Why not ? How would the game be better if medic wasn't the main battle class ?
From my own point of view "cos I can't shoot for shit" :wink: but to answer the question cos atm Meds have the health advantage and defense usually have more of them. As you say you need other Classes to achieve the objective, defense only need well armed Meds to stop them (OK, gross generalisation, but if defense have 1 more Med than attack their team has a health advantage).

If Meds didn't have the health advantage all Classes could be considered front-line troops I guess and I'd hope to see a better mix rather than Med being the "unless theres reason to be something else" Class.
Nogen

Post by Nogen »

Completely agree with reyalP. The moment you start taking away weapons and classes you reduce the diversity of strats available. I am against 6v6 competition because the one less player (from 7v7) isn't going to be one less med or engy - it'll be one of the other classes - a Covops, fops or heavy.

People always complain about spam, how it isn't skill and how smg is the only skillful way to win. Sure thats true for one on one but ET isn't a 1v1 game. Effective use of spam makes up a huge part of teamwork and provides some great diverse options when devising strategies. Individual skill = smg, team skill = SMG + SPAM+STRAT.

Whats wrong with medics being considered the stock standard frontline troops? Thats just how it is. Why does it need to be changed apart from some people complaining because they struggle to find ways to kill them?
cade

Post by cade »

If there is restrictions on one class this makes other stronger. There *are* limits on heavy weapons so medics *are* stronger in this case. To say that limits on medic class will makes strategies range smaller is a bit silly because this range is already smaller as result of heavy weapons limits!

Kendle is right, there shouldn't be restrictions for soldiers and engineers (any classes) and teams shouldn't be medics only. Forcing specific teams setup is so anti-ET :/
Nogen

Post by Nogen »

Ummm...I think you'll find heavy weapons limits are essential. There are a number of siutations where 6/7 panzers might just be an effective defense. I'm quite sure 6/7 mortars could prevent a dynoable objective from being planted at. Heavy weaps are limited to one of each type and that works well since you can take none/one or a couple. Since if you take more than one they have to be different then you are still preserving the diversity.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

Code: Select all

set r_tcw 1
i stole that idea btw. but seriously, i talk with friends and most of us agree that if rtcw had such a refined mod as etpro, with similar antilag and hit detection improvements, we would bail on et in an instant. etpro is the only reason i prefer this game, and i still do only grudgingly. i hate most of the things that make et different, because most of those things are n00bish.

but it looks like osp has shrivvelled and died, and with it any hope of perfecting rtcw. shrub and banimod are not my cup of tea. so here i am, wishing bani would port all his code over to RTCWPro. or at least b_antilag and b_realhead - the two greatest achievements in the history of gaming :P - not to mention the anticheat which is also great (and strongly needed in rtcw nowadays, sadly).

i often get mad at et (read: i get rifle naded) and go play rtcw, only to get mad at it's crappy code and come back to et with my tail between my legs. it sucks. why can't we have that perfect marriage of the two?

*sigh*
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

Nogen wrote:Whats wrong with medics being considered the stock standard frontline troops? Thats just how it is. Why does it need to be changed apart from some people complaining because they struggle to find ways to kill them?
It's not about finding ways to kill them. Like I say I play Med 95% of the time, so I'm hardly suggesting limiting Med health out of self-interest.

The simple fact is, if Team A has more health than Team B, Team A has an advantage. If Team A happens to be the defending team, which in Clan wars with the new Clanbase config it's much more likely to be, then that's contrary to the concept of Stopwatch.

If Team A has the same health as Team B at least then the only bias comes from the map and the only thing separating the teams is skill / teamwork / strats etc.

What's more, if no Class had any more health than any other they'd be no reason for teams to select Meds by default, which would lead, surely, to more diversity of Class selection / strats, not less. At the moment each player on each Team is a Med unless there's good enough reason for them to be something else. What could be more restrictive than that?
Svarvsven

Post by Svarvsven »

Kendle, I'm not sure the main problem with medics is their high hp (they even add hp to the rest of the team as well). However, take any other class than a medic and go into battle...most of the time you wont have full health (like medics have the opportunity to do).

I think the main issue with medics is that they can eat their own medic packs, whenever they want to. And they do want to. If they couldnt, then I suppose they would mostly serve the rest of the team...maybe even reducing the use for them.

However, what was that about you dont like xp "in any form"? Could you help me out understanding that point of view?
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

xp rewards the better team by making their lives even easier, basically. let's say you have a good gun. so you get light weapons 1. now you have an extra clip. why? shouldn't the extra clip go to the poor bastard who can't land shots? then lvl2 gives you faster reload. why? you've shown you do just fine without it. then lvl3, now your spread is reduced. why? you've already demonstrated that you can shoot, why should you get a bonus that makes you even MORE accurate?

not that higher levels tend to be a problem in SW, but the point is now illustrated. xp is satan.

maybe XP should be given to the WORST player in each category, rather than the best. heh
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

If I was in the army, I'd see to it that the spare clips went to the guys who would actually get some use out of them. Everyone complains about games where the strong get stronger while the weak get weaker as the match progresses, but that's just how it is. It's less so in ET than in any game I've played, especially with the strict XP limits in clan matches. And, it's not like one team is perpetually on defense and thus perpetually favoured by the game and the XP system etc - roles get reversed after 1 round.
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
Nogen

Post by Nogen »

At the moment each player on each Team is a Med unless there's good enough reason for them to be something else. What could be more restrictive than that?
What the hell is wrong with that? SOMETHING has to be the standard warrior and its ALWAYS going to be the strongest 1v1 skirmisher. Actually you could say EVERYONE goes soldier smg UNLESS there is a good enough reason to go something else - which there always is.

Why do you think defense always has more meds? I usually run 3 spam classes (fops and heavies) on defense, 1-2 engies and 2-3 meds. Offense is usually maybe 0-1 heavies, 0-1 fops, 0-1 covops, 2 engies, 3-5 meds. But I wouldn't be afraid to change any of it in a second if I thought there was a more appropriate way to use my resources. In any case the assumption that defense will have more meds is ridiculous.
Blackout

Post by Blackout »

bani wrote:it's not just the meds extra health, it's the team health bonus
agreed

also, b_nomedicregen would have a greater impact than b_medmaxhealth. If auto-regen went away, the impact on the game would be profound