Prone proposal

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

EagleReloaded wrote: The dying thing is a good point as well. The question is, does the hitbox you need to gib shift up to standing with the animation, or are they separate?
The gib hitbox is its normal fixed size, it does not follow the death animation.

I wouldn't mind if you couldn't shoot while going prone/unprone (it would make sense for that to count as pronemoving), but as far as I can tell, the only argument presented to support it is OMG IT SO LAMZORZ!!!!1111. I find getting killed annoying pretty much no matter how it is done. That doesn't mean that I lobby the etpro team to remove all those things that get me killed from ET.

@kendle
cg_weaponcyledeley does *not* affect the time it actually takes to change weapons, which is fixed on the server. It deals with how quickly the client will notice weapon change requests. Non-zero values are only useful if you hold down a key to scroll through weapons. if you change too quickly (e.g bind x weaponbank 1 ; weaponbank 2) you will just switch to the last one, assuming you have ammo for it)
send lawyers, guns and money
*BiO*Tron

Post by *BiO*Tron »

SCDS_reyalP wrote: I wouldn't mind if you couldn't shoot while going prone/unprone (it would make sense for that to count as pronemoving), but as far as I can tell, the only argument presented to support it is OMG IT SO LAMZORZ!!!!1111.
Well, that's wrong. 8) You posted on the thread which demonstrates the existing bug, so you should know better. (http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... php?t=5422)
I talked to zinx on IRC about it and the last information I got from him was that bullets passing through the going prone animation will be even more likely to happen in the next version of ETPro because of a fix he made.

Of course it would be better to fix the bug instead of implementing a workaround. But as long as that can't be done, I still prefer nerfing it mildly instead of having that feeling that proning is bug abusing in order to gain an advantage.

Zinx said that there's inactive code in ETPro which would extend the behaviour of b_realhead onto the whole body, almost like polygon-based hit detection. He also said they tested it and decided not to use it. If it could fix all of those animation/hitbox problems, maybe it would still be worth a try, even though it would obviously mean a huge change for the whole aiming, even gameplay.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

talked to zinx on IRC about it and the last information I got from him was that bullets passing through the going prone animation will be even more likely to happen in the next version of ETPro because of a fix he made.
FFS you have been playing long enough to know that the animation means ABSOLUTLY NOTHING. Of course the prone hitbox doesn't match the animation. By design, it never did. I looked at your demo (prone_bug_1), and it is pretty obvious that you are shooting over the prone hitbox in the last shot. In prone_bug_2 the random shot you got after he went prone is almost certainly just a particularly big spread (spread has the 'feature' that you can get wildly different spreads in the same number of shots), since you were clearly aiming well above the prone hitbox.

If you want this 'fixed', lobby the etpro team to increase the time it takes for the standing hitbox to go to prone size. Zinx said he made it non-instant, but it seems that it is still quite a bit faster than the animation. Making it longer shouldn't be shockingly hard, and is far more logical than changing things completely unrelated to your 'bug'.

I also suspect you have misunderstood what zinx was saying about applying 'b_realhead' to the whole body, which If I remember right was based on using a capsule for body hit detection instead of an AABB. That would make the hit detection tighter, and not make certain angles sqrt(2) easier to hit, but AFAIK, has nothing to do with matching the anim. Or perhaps he also had other things in mind he didn't mention in the post I read.
send lawyers, guns and money
*BiO*Tron

Post by *BiO*Tron »

The reason why I aim above the prone hitbox in the demos, but at the crouch hitbox is exactly because I wanted to show that it can happen that you have no chance of knowing where to aim, unless you're foot raging anyway. When you see the animation, you can't really decide whether the other player is crouching or going prone, until it is completely over. If you don't want to give up on the chance of giving headshots to a crouched player, you have to aim at the crouched hitbox. That means you risk not to hit at all (for a short duration), because of the bug. I call it a bug because zinx said that the hitboxes should go from standing up through crouched to prone. If that happens faster than it should, it's still not the intended behaviour.

Ofc you are right, I do know about the animation/hitbox discrepancies, since a long time. But where the other problems occur in "random" (hard to predict) situations, the difference with proning is that you can deliberately create that situation.

I'm not strictly focused on getting that shootdelay implemented, I just would like to see something done which cures the current situation. If what you suggest works out and prevents effects like those in the demos to happen, that would be almost perfect (wysiwyg so to speak ;-)).

Head hitboxes now fit (close to?) perfectly to the animation with b_realhead 1, which is a major improvement over the initial situation. Why not continue in that direction?
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

*BiO*Tron wrote: which is a major improvement over the initial situation. Why not continue in that direction?
Exactly what I was thinking when I read this thread.

(Btw Tron, i didnt realise you still played ET :wink: )
*BiO*Tron

Post by *BiO*Tron »

Pedro wrote: (Btw Tron, i didnt realise you still played ET :wink: )
Just on public servers because of exams etc. But I also watch ETTV matches sometimes so I'm still a bit in touch with competition. :wink: